MSI intros X-Slim X430 with AMD Athlon Neo X2

By on November 25, 2009, 2:00 PM
MSI has introduced another AMD model to its ultraportable X-Slim line, the X430, which is a revamp of the X410 -- and that was a rehash of the Intel-based X400. The X430 swaps the X410's single-core AMD Athlon Neo processor for a dual-core Athlon Neo X2. Apart from the additional core, most other components have been unchanged.

The X430 still features a 14" 1366x768 display, and remaining specs include 2GB of DDR2 667MHz RAM (single DIMM, maxed out), Radeon HD 3200 graphics, 320GB or 500GB of storage, 802.11n Wi-Fi, gigabit Ethernet, HDMI, VGA, two USB 2.0 ports, a 1.3 megapixel webcam, a multi-card reader, as well as headphone and mic jacks. The system can also be configured with an optional external DVD or Blu-ray drive, and a four or eight-cell battery.

Full system weight is about 1.5kg (3.3lbs) with a battery, and the X-Slim X430 will ship with Windows 7 Home Premium. MSI has kept quiet about the X430's release date and price. On a semi-related note, we just reviewed the X-Slim X340, which is a worthwhile read if you're at all interested in the series.

BlindObject said:

Every time I ready "MSI" I think of Mindless Self Indulgence (band). In another note, the best thing I like about this lap is the color. It's not "apple" white, it a nice MSI white, if you have any idea what I'm talking about.

freedomthinker said:

Looks nice , clean very stylish Portable , but seriously this thing is more powereful then my desktop , that economic crisis ;D

fref said:

Personally, Apple-white or MSI-white, it's still too white for me. I like the standard black finish for a laptop.

Fada said:

that is one tasty looking laptop, and to freedom thinker, i think its time to upgrade, having said that I dont even have a desktop!

harby said:

Not bad. Pricing will make or break the sales on this. But it looks promising. My only gripe is the lack of SSD. People don't need that much space on ultraportables, they need battery life, less heat, less noise etc etc. Though I guess some people might prefer space over the afformentioned plus a mechanical drive makes it cheaper.

Serag said:

Another Slim intro'ed..nice specs and it looks too white for me hahahaha

levar said:

Serag said:

Another Slim intro'ed..nice specs and it looks too white for me hahahaha

yeah I like the specs too, if you didn't notice in the review a black one was used [link] I myself prefer the darker version. Anyways neat netbook as for the specs it seems netbooks are reaching the scalability of what notebooks use to be and probably reach to how it is now in the future they're already packed with duo processors what more, I must say the least you're ever going to get from a netbook is the video card.

saintbodhisatva said:

I know what you mean, I like the MSI Wind-white.

hmmm... x340 has single core intel, x430 has dual core AMD. but graphics seem better with the x340.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

I love the all white look, and It's nice and slim! Very light, awesome but why do i feel the price is way more than we can imagine? also.....omg its a PC-Mac hybrid...destroy it! lol

LazyNinja said:

BlindObject said:

I agree it looks great but I think that a white laptop will show off every little smudge and speck of dirt.

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

I don't see what makes this any more special than the 340. It still has 667 RAM, it's still a single core just from AMD, and the rest of the specs really don't impress me all that much either to tell the truth. I'm not thinking a computer like this is really worth it, at least for me.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

IvanAwfulitch said:

Actually it clearly says it has a dual core, unless its a typo in your comment. Besides that I agree its not much more impressive than the 340 that was reviewed earlier. But once more these are not designed to be gaming or rendering machines, just the basics and at that you get exactly what your paying for. Lightweight and portable are just the bonuses you get over a standard laptop, uh and less performance.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

saintbodhisatva, the X430 has better graphics. It's AMD, after all, while the X340 has Intel graphics (yuck).

Frankly, while this might not be designed for gaming, as Adhmuz says, gaming is exactly the reason I find this attractive over the X340. Dual core AMD with ATI graphics should allow some entry level gaming.

timljh said:

for ultraportable, it is kind of waste to put in a dual core. How many of them really utilize that performance?

Puiu Puiu said:

timljh said:

It's because it has dual core that it's so attractive. Most of the ultraportables are seriously underpowered. It may have a dual core CPU but that CPu is only 1.4 GHz and made so that it consumes very little power. It's still a low end component compared to today's standards.

yorro said:

The white color looks really really nice.

BlackIrish said:

Looks great, it would be geat to know it's price.

On a side note, can 14" really be called ultraportable? 13.3" may pass, but dunno for 14"...

Vicenarian said:

If the price of SSDs goes down enough, I would buy one of these things and install one in it. Looks great, great performance, what else could you want?

jerry53 said:

looks pretty as the macbook ,but i strongly doubt if it provides enough value for money as its competition

lupinnktp said:

nice, light and powerful. no estimated price, though..