Steam holiday sale: Up to 80% off tons of games

By on December 23, 2009, 12:29 PM
In addition to GOG's amazing holiday sale, Steam has shown its Christmas spirit with up to 80% off hundreds of games. Some noteworthy deals include 50% off Ubisoft and THQ's entire catalog as well as the Eidos Collector's Pack, 66% off all Atari games and the Unreal pack, and 33% off 2K titles and the Rockstar Collection.

Along with the "standard" discounts, Steam is hosting daily special deals, marking down popular titles like GTA IV ($7.49), Defense Grid ($2.49), S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl ($1.99), Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising ($19.99), and Mirror's Edge ($4.99). When these expire in 22 hours or so, another selection of hits will take their place.

The event will end on January 3, so there's plenty of time to take advantage of the savings. If you spot something that's simply too good to pass up, tell us about it in the comments.

Rapidhic said:

omg look at these prices! I feel pity to those that bought these games for 40-60$

tengeta tengeta said:

I'd jump at GTA IV since I haven't played it yet, but I'm curious if the PC version is still as awful and buggy as it was at first.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Geez...and here I thought I was done buying games for the year. Can't pass up those prices so time to buy myself (more) Christmas gifts.

kommunist said:

There are some really good deals on Steam. Anyone who hasn't checked it out yet, should. Most likely there will be some game that will appeal to you and be super cheap.

Just picked up Ghostbusters and Mirrors Edge for $11. 'Nuff said.

Steam rules!

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wow, they really do have some great games. Gonna have to grab a few titles I missed over the last few years and give them a go. Nice that it's until January 3rd too so we have some time .

Edit: Was so excited I completely overlooked the daily deals . Time to get STALKER never got the chance to play it when it originally came out.

KG363 KG363 said:

$7.50 for GTAIV. I got it! It's taking FOREVER to DL, though

Timonius Timonius said:

Wow. Now I really need to build my new computer. I'm running out of HD space XD!!! And my cpu (p4 3ghz) is getting kind of old for today's latest games. And I really don't have time to play all these games anyway, but oh well, a deal is a deal, and I will eventually play 'em all!

skitzo_zac skitzo_zac, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I picked up GTA IV for $7.50 , bargain! I'm just glad this wasn't limited to US users like some of the steam sales have been.

blimp01 said:

GTA4 for $7? DAMN i paid $60 for it last year lol

and some people gets these all for free of torrents, shame on me :D

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

In UK Braid is £1.79, GTA4 is £4.99 and KOTOR is £3.49.

Thats a bargain right there and now I've bought all 3

I think I need to start saving in advance for these Steam Sales

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

so cool, i bought indigo prophecy & Titan Quest gold, following others.

thank you techspot for the info.

cheers!

Puiu Puiu said:

Really good prices! I've bought today Beyond Good and Evil, Medieval II: Total War, Evil Genius, Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood. These 4 games for under 10?. And i might buy other games too.

Happy holidays to everyone!

isamuelson isamuelson said:

I picked up Dragon Age last night when it was still 25% off. I guess I should have gone for the Deluxe Edition which was priced at the normal edition price, but still, I didn't see any need for the "extras". Love the game so far.

tomdotcom said:

will have to take a lok at this, thanks!

isamuelson isamuelson said:

Last night I picked up Orange Box for less than $15. I wanted to get Team Fortress 2, Portal and HL2: EP2 and that was a steal!

Timonius Timonius said:

Erm...Now I really have too many games to play. At least it didn't break the bank! HAHA! Thanks Steam! (Now if only that one game I really want drops in price).

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

What game is that, Timonius?

Timonius Timonius said:

Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition, oh well, didn't happen. But it's still a deal.

isamuelson isamuelson said:

I'm sad to see this end, however my bank account isn't.

Here's a rundown of what I picked up over the sale:

Dragon Age

Silent Hill Homecoming

Jade Empire Special Edition

Gun

Atari 80-game pack

Stalker Clear Sky

The Orange Box

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.