Trojan Simulator 1.0

By on January 2, 2003, 5:07 PM
For years you have been able to test your virus scanner with the harmless "[URL=http://hem.spray.se/hanzzzon/eicar.com]Eicar[/URL]" test file. [URL=http://www.computercops.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1981]Using the just released "Trojan Simulator"[/URL] you can now test your trojan scanner in the same manner, using a harmless demonstration trojan. This is a risk-free way to see how your security software behaves in a real-world situation.

Vehementi said:
Bah I would prefer [URL=http://grc.com/default.htm]grc.com[/URL]'s LeakTest and ShieldsUP! to that any day.
Unregistered said:
Vehementi said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Unregistered [/i][b]Gah! I installed it and norton didn't pick it up?!?!!? Man I really don't like this. Any of you guru's care to expound on a program that picked up on this? I have to say that my firewall didn't pick up any activity that was trying to access a computer through the internet........ I hope. [/b][/quote] BlackICE Defender has some good application-level security. I used to use it, but ditched it because I use StartupMonitor now, and NIS has built-in applicatoin protection.
RustyZip said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Unregistered [/i][b]Gah! I installed it and norton didn't pick it up?!?!!? [/b][/quote] I've got Norton installed, and it picked it up right away...You sure you got it updated etc??
Per Hansson said:
Zonealarm Pro v3.1.395 didn't pick it up either...I am aware that a newer version exsists (3.5 something)Dunno if that will identify it, will have to update and see...
Vehementi said:
Heh you guys you should start using StartupMonitor. It scans the registry for any program that creates a system startup entry - every time you install a new program that wants to run itself at startup, StartupMonitor displays what .exe exactly wants to run itself, and asks you if you want to let it run at startup or not. Hehehe :D
Vehementi said:
MrGaribaldi said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Vehementi [/i][b]I found it the most helpful when downloading the DivX GAIN bundle. I've been using the codec for like a month now, and I've never gotten one single advert from GAIN, because StartMon picked up GAIN Trickler. [/b][/quote]Woudln't it just be easier to download the free version of the codec? The one which says "Free", instead of the one which says "Free (adware)"?Granted it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it does the job quite nicely...
Vehementi said:
MrGaribaldi said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Vehementi [/i][b]Why not have all the bells & whistles? It isn't adware anymore, I neutered GAIN. [/b][/quote]Well, that could be considered piracy/theft, or at the very least, a breach of the license agreement, and thus you don't have the right to use it.... Since you downloaded the adware version, you accepted that you'd be running Gator, and accepted to let it "do it's thing"... Since you willfully neutered GAIN, you broke the agreement, and are thus not allowed to use the codec... That's why I said what I said... :)
Unregistered said:
Please delete this post... It serves no purpose whatsoever besides seeing if I can post with Netscape... If I can it would seem I've got a problem with my Opera browserRegardsMr.Garibaldi
Unregistered said:
Unregistered said:
Unregistered said:
Unregistered said:
Unregistered said:
Unregistered said:
Unregistered said:
Unregistered said:
Vehementi said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by MrGaribaldi [/i][b]Well, that could be considered piracy/theft, or at the very least, a breach of the license agreement, and thus you don't have the right to use it.... Since you downloaded the adware version, you accepted that you'd be running Gator, and accepted to let it "do it's thing"... Since you willfully neutered GAIN, you broke the agreement, and are thus not allowed to use the codec... That's why I said what I said... :) [/b][/quote] I let Gator install. It's installed on my computer, all I did was alter the registry of [i]my[/i] Windows OS. I didn't exactly [i]neuter[/i] GAIN I just didn't let it add a startup entry in my registry. That's all! :)
Vehementi said: