Tech Tip of the Week: Enable Windows 7's Hidden "God Mode"

By on January 11, 2010, 3:00 PM
As indicated by enthusiasts around the Web, there is a simple way to access a hidden "God Mode" in Windows 7 and Vista. With a name like that, your expectations might be a little high -- and no, Windows is not secretly invincible -- but the trick is awesome nevertheless.

"God Mode" simply provides users with a centralized Control Panel for all of Windows' settings, from changing your desktop background to setting up a VPN or partitioning your hard drive. In all, there are nearly 50 categories and most have several entries.

Read our Tech Tip of the Week.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Many thanks....time to experiment I think !

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I known about this for a while and it can be the most useful piece of info ever! if you just can't be bothered to trawl trough control panel open this up and what your looking for is already there! good stuff.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Useful, but hardly "God Mode" other then the folder name which isn't even required.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Mmm sort of neat, for one thing you can access everything in a single click, although there is no option you can't access with a couple of clicks so it kinds of loose its neatness :P

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I was expecting something awesome when reading the title from the RSS feed... but anyway I guess this is still pretty useful

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

That's really kewl.

tengeta tengeta said:

Makes it a little more like OSX's system preferences, so I'm all for it. Why the heck isn't it available as a standard option though? Seems stupid, but thanks for showing it I had no idea.

deadmongol deadmongol said:

wow. this was really helpful i think.. thanks for the tip, lets do a little tweaking here and there .

Puiu Puiu said:

This is really useful for those that work a lot with those settings.

Decimae said:

There are a lot more of these folders. These are all of which I know(n is network, but that name changes automatically in windows explorer.

I combined all that them of in one archive:

(it's just an archive with folders, if you extract it you'll see configuration icons)

These were originally meant for developers.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I came across this the other day playing around with Stumble but haven't done anything with it. Although the site I found it on said it may screw with windows vista. Something about not being able to open the folder this is saved in without crashing explore.exe, so if its saved on your desktop you are kinda screwed :P.

I tried this on Vista 64bit and ended up reinstalling OS 5 min later.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I've tried these on 7x64 and works like a charm ...... i guess i can give few tips to our new IT Admin (the post once i occupied ) and show him he still need to learn few tricks lol

Wow, thanks for the great tip! I have heard that you can enable "Robo Mode" on Windows 7, which is like God Mode, but more powerful, can anyone here tell me how to enable Robo Mode on my new rig?

InsaneVr6 said:

Never heard of robo mode..

When I read the title the first thing I thought of the God mode in Doom...but for Windows. Yeah I know.

I use this alot makes stuff easy to get too, even though most of it doesn't bring you directly to where the settings can be changed. Some navigating is required, but it is better than being lost in the control panel.

On my old rig I voice activated Robo mode by leaning in really close to the PC speaker and constantly chanting GZZZ, GZZZ, GZZZ, GZZZ, GZZZ, GZZZ. Once Robo Mode is activated, your rig will announce "Access Granted, Welcome to Robo Mode". You can then use your rig to remote control your garden hose attachments.

I wish the writer of the article would put "may crash Windows Vista" in the beginning of the article, guess what: I saved it on my desktop. Curses.

I solved it this way:

1. Hit ctrl+alt+del and select Task Manager.

2. At the top of Task Manager, highlight File, and select "New Task (Run...)". This will open up the Run window.

3. In the Run window, type "cmd". This will open the Command Prompt.

4. If you put the folder on your desktop, type "cd C:\Users[Your Username Here]\Desktop".

5. Type "rd " then hit Tab until the folder name appears. Then hit enter. This removes the folder

6. Type in "cd C:\Windows\System32".

7. Type in "shutdown -r" in order to restart your computer.

Hope it helps.

Marnomancer Marnomancer said:

Hang on guys, ain't this supposed to be Windows 8? Win7's God Mode is getting old now.

Nice advert.

Hehe, good one.

Fred Brabander Fred Brabander said:

This also works on windows 8, sometimes its a little diffucult to find all the settings. Now they are all in one place.

Ah, one of the benefits of using a closed-source operating system --

many of its modes and secrets are hidden from users by the benevolent

vendor. People running Linux have all this, and more, available to them --

it just takes a little knowledge.

wiyosaya said:

Nice tip. It takes us back to the simplified format of NT and provides more.

This is really nice, can't believe I have not run into it before.

Urhixidur Urhixidur said:

Here's an equivalent (but a little more roundabout) way to create a God Mode control panel on your desktop.

Open a console. Set your current directory to your desktop folder. (You can, of course, choose to put the God Mode control panel elsewhere)

cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop

Create a directory there, using any name of your choosing:

mkdir godmode

Using notepad (or some such) create a file with the following contents and save to the directory you just created using the name desktop.ini:

[.ShellClassInfo]

LocalizedResourceName=God Mode

CLSID={ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

The LocalizedResourceName is the name that Explorer will display for your 'godmode' folder, and can be anything you choose. Back to the console, enter the directory:

cd godmode

Change the attributes of desktop.ini to system hidden:

attrib desktop.ini +s +h

You're done! Once Explorer refreshes, you should have a God Mode control panel on your desktop (or elsewhere).

A similar trick, omitting the CLSID line, can be used to change the display name of any folder.

miluthui miluthui said:

This may come handy thank you

Works good with Windows 8 too. This is a a real time saver. It's all in 2 or 3 mouse clicks instead of searching through menus to finds it. When you click best performance option in windows 7 it uses the classic settings from the versions previous to Vista.

Jefffosterusa Jefffosterusa said:

Ha, I doubt there's Windows in Heaven, God hates disorder. ;)