First Crysis 2 screenshots revealed

By on March 4, 2010, 4:20 PM
Not a whole lot to read, but at least something nice to see. Crytek released today the first two official screenshots of upcoming first person shooter Crysis 2. The title is slated for release later this year and unlike its predecessor it will no longer be a PC exclusive, with plans to make a simultaneous launch for the PC, Xbox and PS3 platforms. Crysis 2 will use Crytek’s proprietary graphics engine that is expected to be further showcased during next week's Game Developers Conference.

Crysis 2 official screenshot

Crysis was known for taking a big toll on PC hardware. More likely than not, Crytek developers will have learned a good lesson about scalability this time around. Either way, the screenshots look nothing short of amazing, showing some city destruction and fighting scenes with an incredible level of detail. Certainly look forward playing this before the end of the year.

Chazz said:

I think they must've learned their lesson. I doubt a 360 can put out that much horsepower and the PS3 hasn't been fully tapped yet so I'm not sure what it can do. I think console support alone pretty much suggests it'll be a normal game and not just a PC benchmark.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Sweet! I enjoyed the hell out of the first two Crysis games and fortunately had a decent enough rig to see the visuals at a very high level. Really amazing stuff....

Serag said:

I hope it won't be as much as a hardware monster as the first Crysis and it's expansion..

azhurvadal said:

Crysis and Crysis Warhead still looks superb today compared to recent games. this new screenshot looks even more amazing. Crysis 2 on consoles may have a reduced graphics a bit, but on PC it will still push your hardware to the limit

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

@ Tom, are you able to play Warhead on enthusiast with your GTX285?

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That looks amazing! And it is yet another reason to upgrade my GPU, which is somewhat lacking in the performance category.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Looking good, might be just the excuse I need to upgrade my PC.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I think you can probably build your own Techno.

princeton princeton said:

Wow this is incredible. I hope they fixed some of the performance issues from cryengine 2,ram leaks,unoptimized,bad CF/SLI support. I hope when I get my HD 5870 it will run this beast.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

red1776 - to be honest, I can't remember the exact settings I used. Now Warhead had a different ceiling than Crysis. It was a lot less power-hungry. I usually start my games at max settings and work down if I have issues, and I don't think I made many if any adjustments with Warhead.

CodePhoeniX said:

I don't think those are in game screens.

Anyway a urban environment is a great idea.

Afroaggie said:

I am really looking forward to this sequel I was a big fan of not only the graphical benchmark that the original gave but the actual game-play was quite enjoyable as well. I will definitely be getting the PC version so that I can see the stunning graphics that will be available on it, but I will definitely have to upgrade my GPU by then.

Executor said:

codephoenix said:

I don't think those are in game screens.

Safe bet those ARE screenshots from in-game, since it looks very similar to the in-game graphics of Crysis & Warhead. Doubt it'll look anything like that on consoles though, LOL.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Those are awesome . I'll have to do a complete upgrade this year for so many good games...man I'm lagging behind :'( .

supyo said:

Crysis is an awesome game! can't wait!

ryan29121 said:

I think one of the main reasons why Crysis is made, is to boost video card sales. In order to run this game with decent frames, is to have $800 worth of video cards in your rig. That is just way too much money for a video game.

flukeh said:

ryan29121 said:

Why would Crytek do that? As far as i know they don't profit from GPU sales.

buttus said:

Jeez. How long did Crysis first take to develop and here we are well into production of the sequel? I'm kinda shocked at how many games Crytek has been able to produce lately. Crysis, Far Cry 2, Crysis Warhead, and now Crysis 2? How are they able to churn these out so quick when the first Crysis took 6 years to make?

flukeh said:

buttus said:

Crytek have near 300 employees working on multiple continents. They are a big operation and once the engine is fully made and functional, churning out games on it doesn't take overly long. Churning out good games does though.

Recycle said:

chazz said:

Kojima claimed MGS4 was running the PS3 at its max, and he was disappointed by the graphics.

I'm sure they'll revamp the engine again for MGS Rising.

With some more optimizing, I think the PS3 can match this Crysis 2 screenshot.

Renegeek said:

I have the Crysis 1 Demo, it was a great game...(one of the best games, i have ever played) i cant wait to see the new one... i'm going to get it soon it comes out.

InsaneVr6 said:

Crysis and Crysis Warhead were the best PC games I have ever played. I had to play them on medium settings though thanks to my 9500GT. Crysis 2 may just make me upgrade so I can enjoy it to its full potential.

The screenshots look sick!

pipopaz said:

Wondering how will the difference in graphics will be between PC and consoles. Cheaper to buy it on a console than upgrading my pc?

yorro said:

Urban Warfare, oh my. If those screenshots are the actual gameplay then I am sold already.

I've seen the new engine of Crytek in PS3, it lags a bit. Now is the real war between PC and Consoles, lets see how the consoles fair this time.

UT66 said:

Upgrade? XD this is a console game, people Crysis and Crysis Warhead both surpass this game in every possible way. this is just a cash grab by Crytek . already tried the real deal, now i rather play something new-

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

I hope they implement a more destructive environment; not just super delicious eye candy. Urban environment? Ok, fine, but let me blow up the buildings around me and let it react in a true-to-life physics fashion.

I hope they get more innovative with their new engine. I want a better game, not Star Wars ep. 1 2 and 3.

skitzo_zac skitzo_zac, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I have high hopes for this game, and high hopes that I have a new system to play it on when it is released. Screenshots look very nice but apparently they are from the 360 version from what I was reading over on Shacknews.

thebluemeaner said:

I wonder why it never looks the same in my computer...I guess I need a new monitor...

Yoda8232 said:

I'd expect better graphics, better way of storytelling, and less linear gameplay. Now I'd like some urban Crysis woo! BETTER MULTIPLAYER WITH RANKING AND DEDICATED SERVERS IS A MUST!

jacob007 said:

Will it run crysis.....2?

Now thatÂ's something that never gets old

shoeseat said:

They have upgraded their crytek engine to support the consoles.So i am hopiing my 9800GT wont have problem running this in medium-high or even higher setting.I must admit that the game settings in city look interesting this time around.Forget the jungles!!!

Alster37 Alster37 said:

impressive, i cant wait for this but at least it gives me some time to ugrade my pc to cope with it this time. I think this will be a game where I can show 360 owners that the graphics are miles better on pc than consoles. They have nerve even to suggest that console graphics are better.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Alster37 said:

Console ports such as GTA4 probably do run better on consoles than PCs... so let's hope this isn't the case with Crysis 2.

EduardsN said:

Those screenshots look awesome, I'm looking forward to the release. I also hope they fixed the problems from the cryengine 2

Kovach said:

Serag said:

Hmm I think it will be more demanding then first Crysis, probably there will be much more improvment but it will "cost" our hardware more sucking of memory. I think that this game is going to be a another "tool" for benchmarking.

njmarkham said:

This looks great, I hope they don't overshoot the mark with the hardware requirements again.

What about launching for the Wii? XD :P

Just kidding!

Puiu Puiu said:

The explosions look just like those in Hollywood movies. Hopefully i'll manage to buy a good computer by the time this game is out on the streets. I hope that a 5770 or a 5830 video card will manage to play it at 1080p with AA and AF enabled..

Wolfanoz Wolfanoz said:

Cannot wait to kick some alien ass in the Big Apple.

walliot walliot said:

This pic really leaves me confused whether consoles made the game crappier or not. The detail is simply amazing. But sadly a geforce 9800gt will burn to ashes even installing the game...

fref said:

The screenshot looks great, but I wonder how much Photoshop went into it... If it's untouched, that game will look amazing. It probably won't run on my PC though...

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Here is a good comparison between PC and console graphics on Crysis. Basically they have to remove a lot of effects to get it to run smoothly on the console.

Ha Ha, You PS3, Xbox 360 users move ova. The only d.a.m.n. way you'll get the best graphics is to use a PC. What? You think this game was designed on an Xbox...haha again.

It's common cents! Play it with what it was developed with!!!

A freaking Computer!!

No conole box of today here in 2010 has the horseass power to display and play the game the way it was intended to be. There is one way to solve this problem for all console users?

Buy A Freaking Computer!!!

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

It does look amazing. I still have no played the original. My current PC could handle it but I was really waiting until I had a gaming PC that was able to play the first Crysis on ultra settings which may be another year or two for me.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

i intended in building my next PC when Diablo III will be out, but i guess will do so much earlier, no way for me to play this on my PS3, i know it will be better on a PC & can't wait to use it as a benchmark LOL.

have seen the CryEngine 3 video for consoles & really liked what can do, but Power belongs to the PC & i love it that i have the best of both worlds..

cheers!

I just hope that the PC version is a REAL PC Version with all of the bells and whistles and not a watered down Port of the Console. I want to be able to run the game at more that 30 FPS. I also hope that they Use HavoxFX Physics which will use either ATI or nVidia GPU for graphics. I have nVidia, but PhysX would be a dumb choice because it would limit who got the physics and who didn't. I am really tired of US the PC gamers getting shafted when it comes to the latest and greatest games. If I want to play a Console game, I will go by that game for a console. I DON"T WANT A WATERED DOWN VERSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

from what I have been able to find about Crysis2, the so called 'experts' are saying that its going to take a 9800GT and a dual core CPU @ 2.6 or better, and there is going to be 5 detail settings (another one between 'gamer' and 'enthusiast'. I have no idea if this has any merit or not.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Those system requirements scream console port.....

Console port.....EA Games.......Steam or mentalist DRM ?

fadownjoo said:

wow!! i need to upgrade my rig for this

avdheshbansal said:

i'm also waiting desperately for crysis. it's one of the best games ever.

but it's disheartening to know that they've changed the game setting from forest setting to city street's. i'll really miss that.. crysis really took that to another level !