Valve: Portal 2 is "the best game we've ever done"

By on March 12, 2010, 1:52 PM
Excluding a few bumps along the way, Valve has largely won the hearts of gamers everywhere. The developer has delivered one hit title after another and its online distribution service Steam is immensely popular. Despite the success of its previous games, Valve says Portal 2 is the best yet.

In a recent interview with 1UP, Valve's Gabe Newell said the upcoming title is internally accepted as the best game the company has ever developed. With a portfolio including Half-Life, Team Fortress, and Left 4 Dead, that's saying a lot, and if you weren't already excited about Portal 2, you should be now.

Newell added that Portal really seemed to resonate. It showed Valve what people liked, as well as what they didn't, and gave the company what it needed take Portal to the next step. Earlier this week, Valve's Doug Lombardi said the original Portal was a "test bed" while the second will be "a game."

gobbybobby said:

This does look pretty dam good. (I hate to point out that this news is over 12 hours old, but u are a US site, ur prob just got out of bed ay!) I for one cannot wait for Portal 2. I am a big fab of Steam and digital Distribution. I have taken the CD drive out of My PC as I don't use it! (and its makes a noice for about 3 seconds when I switch PC on)

levar said:

Steam is doing great! Looking forward to play Portal 2 sooo badly! Would be awesome if they released another orange box in the future with Portal, TF2, LFD2 ooohhh I'm getting excited. I'm still waiting on this month's gameinformer issue. I'll be sure respond back again with what I think once I've read the issue. Portal was soo fun and frustrating I bet this'll make me want to kill myself xD I still have not passed Portal, quite playing bc I could get passed a level and sold it.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ..

this game has a really nice concept, i would have bought the Orange box but still don't have a decent PC for gaming & read a lot of bad things about it's PS3 version...

will check out this one off steamy site ...

cheers!

seefizzle said:

Portal was one of the single greatest games I've ever played. I cannot wait for the second one. I wish all games inspired such nerdy joy in me.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Wow, if it really IS better than Half-Life 2, then I think I may have a new favorite FPS. I'm getting it regardless, but I am really anxious to see how the story relates to or is different than the rest of the Half-Life world.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Definitely going to get this shortly after it comes out. Portal was indeed one of the most unique and creative games ever designed. Anyone who is curious about its origins should go download and play Narbacular Drop. I thought it was very interesting to see portals origin and how they developed and matured the concept.

Link to Narbacular Drop: [link]

natefalk natefalk said:

Now I'm going to have to play the first portal game... too bad my list of games I have to play is already way too long. I've heard good thing about Portal; I just haven't had a good enough computer to play. Thankfully I just got a Radeon 5870 so I think I should be covered

DryIce said:

I cannot wait for Portal 2! The first Portal was one of the best games I have ever played. If you have not played this game, you have missed a lot.

alexandrionel said:

Guys....you made me curious about Portal and Portal2. Until recently I didn't know anything about them.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

If anyone can live up to the hype it's Valve and I hope Portal 2 brings something entirely new to the table. If this is the best they've ever done I can't wait =D.

Richy2k9 said:

i would have bought the Orange box but still don't have a decent PC for gaming

Games from the Orange Box are not very demanding, this isn't BFBC2 or Crysis . Source is a very PC friendly engine and I'm sure you can run the game just post your specs in the gaming forum and we'll let ya know!

wagan8r said:

First Person Action Puzzle Game! Not a shooter =P .

natefalk said:

As mentioned above this game is not very demanding but ya a 5870 will blow this game out of the water . It's definitely worth your time to play it considering it only takes about 3-4 hours to complete. Quick tip: when playing don't think only in linear terms .

alexandrionel said:

Check it out, its an awesome action puzzle game that wont disappoint imo.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I have to admit I haven't played the original Portal, but know it's in "Hall of Fame" status with many, many gamers. I do have the game, just haven't installed it. Guess I better get rolling so I can be ready for Portal 2.

I really enjoyed playing Portal and cannot wait for Portal 2. They should release it now so I can play it.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Well I played about 1/2 way through portal at a friends house and liked it. Going to have to check out Portal 2 when it comes out.

fwilliams said:

I want to play this game on Linux, I hope they finish the port of Source and the Steam Client over to Linux.

chuchu232 said:

Portal a test bed? that's one of my favorite games! If this is how it compares to the second, I neeeeeeeed that game!!!!

jasonk1229 said:

cant wait to play this I lvoed the first one

Portal was a truly great game. But Braid was even better; quite simply the best and most intriguing game I ever remember having played. If manipulating space was the basis for Portal, manipulating time was for Braid.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

I didn't know Portal was that great, I guess I have to catch up before Portal 2 comes out!

thebluemeaner said:

I just hope this game does not come out in the same source engine we are so used to...

yorro said:

"Best game we've done" is saying a lot specially if you don't normally mention it on your range of award winning games.

skitzo_zac skitzo_zac, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

It really is great to see a developer so excited about one of their own games.

But I really don't see this being revered as being better than the classic original Half-Life in the eyes of critics.

pipopaz said:

Portal was indeed a innovative game, can't wait to see the next step called "Best game we've done".

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

I have to agree with zac... nothing will ever top the original Half-Life imo

Yeah Baby!!! More Cake!!

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I enjoyed the first one a lot, I hope the second is just as good.

UT66 said:

ok, now im hyped. It better be good!

flukeh said:

I'm really intrigued about what looks like an outside world, I'm not sure how well portal mechanics would look when trying to be used in a jungle atmosphere, nonetheless it will be an interesting sequel and one to play for sure.

mailpup mailpup said:

I enjoyed playing Portal and look forward to Portal 2 but there are other games I liked better. I like a good FPS or RTS game.

Timonius Timonius said:

Hmmm...I wonder if there will be any half life crossover in Portal 2?

seefizzle said:

Just because of this post I went and ripped off a copy of Portal to play it again. The game is still as great as I remember it, although I remember how to solve a lot of the puzzles. I paid full retail for this game a while back. I will pay full retail for Portal 2 when it comes out. I WANT Valve to have my money. Keep making great games, and I won't rip you off. Promise.

This is what I think of pirating, I will probably always pirate mediocre crap. This is stuff that there is no chance I would pay for if I couldn't pirate it. But for quality stuff, I have no problem going out and buying it.

The problem lies in the fact that media distributors overvalue their product. Music is not worth a dollar a song. I don't care how you slice it. A dvd is not worth 15 or 20 bucks. Video games being the exception to the rule, but most media isn't worth that much money. Quit charging outrageous prices, and more people will buy it.

Charge me five dollars for a dvd, but put it on an SD card instead of a dvd. No DRM, no nonsense. I'd gladly ACTUALLY buy more dvd's. Your new album your band just put out, it's worth maybe two dollars tops. Also, put that ***** on a SD card. I don't want your cd's. Or just give me an easy way to download it for two bucks.

Gone are the times when we don't have a lot of options at our fingertips. We don't buy records and invite friends over to have a listen. Music, DVD's, video games, magazines, REAL LIFE, lol, we have a lot of options. The media conglomerates need to realize some stuff real quick. Mainly that the old business models don't work anymore, and their prices don't reflect reality. Otherwise, there are a lot of folk just like me that will continue pirating their content.

rskapadia2294 said:

lets wait till the game launches!

cant wait to get hands on it!

megrawab said:

Valve's right. Beacuse Portal too is unique and original. Portal 1 is short however, hope portal 2 is not...

zyodei said:

I'm not a big gamer, thus I run only Linux. But I think that makers of really exceptional games should port them over to Linux..I would buy this to play a bit, even though I very rarely buy games.

Kovach said:

I like Valve, and as I can say, they have real good titles like Half Life, Left 4 Dead and etc. I'm surely going to be glad to play another great release from Valve.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@zyodei, there's a chance Valve will get to Linux eventually. The recent move to Mac OS makes the distance a lot shorter.

As for me, I still haven't finished the first one. Did like it, but I have many other games I liked but didn't finish. Just not enough time these days. I'm buying a lot more games than I can play. Of course, if I stopped posting on tech websites and dedicated that time to gaming... But that'd never happen.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

You can still run Steam and it's games on Linux using Wine environment, but there's a lot to be desired. it was a good move by Valve to be making Steam accessible to Mac/OSX users but the majority of gamers use PC so it's more of a compatibility thing. Linux is great as a free OS but not many people use it regulary, including myself, so unless Valve is handy in that dept. I don't see Steam ever being fully adopted on that platform, but you never know.

mailpup mailpup said:

I'm buying a lot more games than I can play.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this.

drasho said:

this should be really interesting =) I cant wait too see if it gonna be as good as they say.

Eddo22 said:

Portal was WAY better than the original half life one. Hopefully Portal 2 will follow the trend and be better than HL2...that would be something special.

Thompson said:

Along with the sneaky deployment of an incredibly mind-blowing system (Which I wish you'd report on) with the radios in Portal I tend to believe Valve here.

They are going all out for this release and I don't remember them doing anything like this before, Portal was so revolutionary and unique that Portal 2 may just be a massive game changer.

ansarimikail said:

Yeah, I did think the last game was a bit of test put together in hurry, I mean great game but it didnt quite feel as if it had all the icing (pardon the pun). Hopefully the new one will be better.

Serag said:

I was sooooo excited when I heard about Portal 2

Got even more excited after reading about it..

And now this?, I'm dying to play "the best game they've ever done"

rufio said:

This is very good news for portal fans! Hurry and release this game already. I cannot wait any longer!

Yoda8232 said:

If the original was really a "test" which is totally looked like the 2nd would be amazing if it's an actual game with a really good story and MULTIPLAYER.

myrmidonks myrmidonks said:

gobbybobby said:

You might want to get a new CD drive...

Portal 2 looks amazing!

pyari said:

one day I surely buy it.....those things just tease me......make a money....

yangly18 yangly18 said:

this games looks great, the first one was fun to play through, I like the whole cake thing...THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!

Hopefully they make some challenge levels that will completely stump me, that would be nice.

Neojt said:

This game (the first one) was an all new concept that blew minds away. Now there saying the second is better.... Cant wait to see it in action

Docnoq said:

The original Portal certainly gave me hours of enjoyment, but I really hope this one can offer more if it is going to sell at a $50 price tag. Or maybe we will get a new Orange Box to accompany it... Ahh, a man can only dream.

LGraves said:

It actually took me a few days to realize that this was a "game". I lost interest in Half Life 2 =/

However,when I bought the "Source" game a few years ago I fell in love with Steam. But I also love Impulse!