Valve: Portal 2 is "the best game we've ever done"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Excluding a few bumps along the way, Valve has largely won the hearts of gamers everywhere. The developer has delivered one hit title after another and its online distribution service Steam is immensely popular. Despite the success of its previous games, Valve says Portal 2 is the best yet.

In a recent interview with 1UP, Valve's Gabe Newell said the upcoming title is internally accepted as the best game the company has ever developed. With a portfolio including Half-Life, Team Fortress, and Left 4 Dead, that's saying a lot, and if you weren't already excited about Portal 2, you should be now.

Newell added that Portal really seemed to resonate. It showed Valve what people liked, as well as what they didn't, and gave the company what it needed take Portal to the next step. Earlier this week, Valve's Doug Lombardi said the original Portal was a "test bed" while the second will be "a game."

Permalink to story.

This does look pretty dam good. (I hate to point out that this news is over 12 hours old, but u are a US site, ur prob just got out of bed ay!) I for one cannot wait for Portal 2. I am a big fab of Steam and digital Distribution. I have taken the CD drive out of My PC as I don't use it! (and its makes a noice for about 3 seconds when I switch PC on)

Steam is doing great! Looking forward to play Portal 2 sooo badly! Would be awesome if they released another orange box in the future with Portal, TF2, LFD2 ooohhh I'm getting excited. I'm still waiting on this month's gameinformer issue. I'll be sure respond back again with what I think once I've read the issue. Portal was soo fun and frustrating I bet this'll make me want to kill myself xD I still have not passed Portal, quite playing bc I could get passed a level and sold it.

hello ..

this game has a really nice concept, i would have bought the Orange box but still don't have a decent PC for gaming & read a lot of bad things about it's PS3 version...

will check out this one off steamy site ...

cheers!

Portal was one of the single greatest games I've ever played. I cannot wait for the second one. I wish all games inspired such nerdy joy in me.

Wow, if it really IS better than Half-Life 2, then I think I may have a new favorite FPS. I'm getting it regardless, but I am really anxious to see how the story relates to or is different than the rest of the Half-Life world.

Now I'm going to have to play the first portal game... too bad my list of games I have to play is already way too long. I've heard good thing about Portal; I just haven't had a good enough computer to play. Thankfully I just got a Radeon 5870 so I think I should be covered ;)

I cannot wait for Portal 2! The first Portal was one of the best games I have ever played. If you have not played this game, you have missed a lot.

If anyone can live up to the hype it's Valve and I hope Portal 2 brings something entirely new to the table. If this is the best they've ever done I can't wait =D.

Richy2k9 said:
i would have bought the Orange box but still don't have a decent PC for gaming

Games from the Orange Box are not very demanding, this isn't BFBC2 or Crysis :) . Source is a very PC friendly engine and I'm sure you can run the game just post your specs in the gaming forum and we'll let ya know!

wagan8r said:
Wow, if it really IS better than Half-Life 2, then I think I may have a new favorite FPS. I'm getting it regardless, but I am really anxious to see how the story relates to or is different than the rest of the Half-Life world.

First Person Action Puzzle Game! Not a shooter =P .

natefalk said:
Now I'm going to have to play the first portal game... too bad my list of games I have to play is already way too long. I've heard good thing about Portal; I just haven't had a good enough computer to play. Thankfully I just got a Radeon 5870 so I think I should be covered ;)

As mentioned above this game is not very demanding but ya a 5870 will blow this game out of the water :) . It's definitely worth your time to play it considering it only takes about 3-4 hours to complete. Quick tip: when playing don't think only in linear terms ;) .

alexandrionel said:
Guys....you made me curious about Portal and Portal2. Until recently I didn't know anything about them.

Check it out, its an awesome action puzzle game that wont disappoint imo.

I have to admit I haven't played the original Portal, but know it's in "Hall of Fame" status with many, many gamers. I do have the game, just haven't installed it. Guess I better get rolling so I can be ready for Portal 2. :)

I really enjoyed playing Portal and cannot wait for Portal 2. They should release it now so I can play it.

Well I played about 1/2 way through portal at a friends house and liked it. Going to have to check out Portal 2 when it comes out. :D

Portal a test bed? that's one of my favorite games! If this is how it compares to the second, I neeeeeeeed that game!!!!

Portal was a truly great game. But Braid was even better; quite simply the best and most intriguing game I ever remember having played. If manipulating space was the basis for Portal, manipulating time was for Braid.

"Best game we've done" is saying a lot specially if you don't normally mention it on your range of award winning games.

It really is great to see a developer so excited about one of their own games.

But I really don't see this being revered as being better than the classic original Half-Life in the eyes of critics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back