China: Google will face consequences over uncensored search results

By on March 12, 2010, 6:29 PM
A top Chinese Internet regulator has warned Google that it will face "consequences" if it follows through with plans to stop censoring search results in the country. After discovering a series of a China-based cyber attacks, Google pledged to end censorship in the country, and even threatened to shut down Google.cn.

Google and China have since been in talks, discussing the search company's future. At a press conference today, Li Yizhong, Minister of Industry and Information Technology said that he hopes "Google can respect Chinese rules and regulations." Yizhong said that violating Chinese laws is irresponsible, and said those who do are "unfriendly" and "will have to bear the consequences."

Google CEO Eric Schmidt said Wednesday that he expects to reach a conclusion soon. People close to the situation say the company could stop censoring Google.cn within weeks, but isn't likely to withdraw from the country entirely. Likewise, analysts say China is unlikely to allow unfiltered search results, so a resolution to the standoff should be interesting.

elroacho72 said:

Google seems to be poking a sleeping giant. What does face consequences mean? I am afraid for the people at Google. China has the power to do what? too Google. I don't get that.

jasonk1229 said:

its on like donkey kong

Wolfanoz Wolfanoz said:

First shutting down Google, then the takeover of Taiwan. I think they're looking for reasons to be aggressive. They know the United States is weak at the moment and that they carry a lot of our debt.

Rat Barzane said:

Are threats more threatening when they're not explained?

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

In Communist China, there are no explanations.

jotaprimero said:

I wonder why Google is putting up with these restrictions and censorship by the Chinese. In a way, they are abetting China's determination to restrict democracy.

pipopaz said:

It's hard to mix Companies with Political matters, so it sounds tough when both sides won't yield.

Riun355 said:

I think it's great to finally have a company that stands for things, rather than only profit. hopefully, people will get the message and stop obsessing so much over their damned money.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Tell me about it. GM was forced to sell Hummer to China...! I don't really care for the idea that we would have to buy our "engines of war" from our enemies.

I wouldn't be too worry with what is going on with China vs Google. Take a look at what the people in your own governments are doing to strip away your own freedoms online and offline.

RockandRepublic said:

China is a gigantore market so I wonder why Google hasn't bent over backwards. Maybe because it's Google? For all I care they could tell china what's what and be done with it but I reckon things are that uncomplicated. Sheesh!

PaulWuzHere PaulWuzHere said:

I sure wish I lived somewhere I didn't have any freedom...

Google should give those commies the finger and move on to the rest of the free world.

Then again that would hurt the innocent people in the country. Also how does china talk about respect when they condone cyber terrorism?

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Last year I went to China. Before Team Google showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.

rskapadia2294 said:

lol! i think google should leave china and concentrate on rest of the world! i dont know why the chinese government is banning it! people have become more matured nowadays!

tengeta tengeta said:

Whats the big deal... won't be soon until the U.S. requires censored search results.

Richy2k9 said:

Wendig0 said:

LOL, Oops! sorry this is a serious matter.

I think we must let the chinese (people) decide of what they want, oh no i forgot, can they !!?

Google is a big company that has my respect, but sometimes i think it's better to stay off mined fields & check out later when all is clear.

cheers!

megrawab said:

Yeah I don't wonder what the consequences are. Would it be penalty? Maybe since Google cannot be banned. It has helped a lot of people (in many different ways) for the past years so I think lots of people will support Google. What I know is that Google searches can be customize as whether to include adult searches or not that's why it must have been the responsibility of the person who searches in the internet. But I'm not judging already so I would look for more updates soon.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

riun355 said:

Lol, do you really think that is Google's motive? Last time I checked, they are still a listed company and they have an obligation to put profits first. My guess would be that their revenues from China are pretty weak and they're trying to keep up a good image, instead of people criticising them on their privacy and personal data issues.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I find this interesting. let's see what happens =)

bigclick said:

China. Selling us cheap goods which show up everywhere from WalMart to eBay is building a new economy which benefits a few people making up their new wealthy society on the back of cheap labor.

We are guilty of allowing this to happen. We have exported manufacturing to them and became a "service" economy. Most everyone has a lawn care business here now...they once had a real job that paid the increasing cost of living.

If I were to guess the consequences China threatens Google with, I'd be looking at China backed hacking meant to severely cripple the internet service. But why stop there? Once they do this, what's to stop them from really hurting our communications. We'll be back to 19th century technology.

There is still a cold war on people.

Kovach said:

Wendig0 said:

Lol, google is a big brother, monitor everyting and everywhere.

The reality is China has the dreaded clutch of death on America's balls.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The reality is China has the dreaded clutch of death on America's balls.

To first point, I dont remember where I read that study, but it was either in newsweek or portfolio (i'm unsure because its a while since then); anyway, according to that research article about 600 billion dollars are being siphoned away from middle class/poor americans to filthy rich in america; so your argument doesn't make any sense at all.

And to Guest's comment, it is bloody true, but problem is americans are digging a pretty big deep S*** hole for themselves, I do not see american economy staying as top dog for long, mostly because life from its real economy is being stiffled out by the socalled 'financial economy' which is nothing but pile of worthless papers, which we all learned the hard way in last couple of years, yet we refuse to learn the lessons. Another dimension to this can be, most empires have their time at top while at peak of their financial and military power, i guess for americans the first of these is behind them now.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Look up "private equity investment"

America is on its way out for this reason; Americans believe that all you have to do is buy s*** and collect public entitlements to even have an economy. We don't make anything, we don't dig anything up, and we don't grow enough to balance a staggering trade deficit.

I hear a lot of BS as to how we've moved to a "post industrial society", or a "service based economy. Follow my little tale about how money is earned and changes hands in one sector of that illusory "service based economy". Medical care is a service, and nurses are service providers, so then; nurse "A" wipes patient "B's" bum, who has received his medical insurance from public entitlement, he then gets out of the hospital and spends his welfare check on drugs, at which point the money is funneled back into the system with the purchase of subwoofers and rims, many of which were made in China, so from there it's bye, bye imaginary paper. And then the government has to pay (rather owe) China money for someone that they gave the money to in the first place.

Money, no longer on any exchange for precious metal standard, is therefore only of it's value as "currency". But, in order for it to retain any value whatsoever, it therefore must be the "avatar" of commodity. Since no commodity other than drugs was even on the radar in this scenario, and drug exchanges can only be described as "money laundering", the money has no value, it's just paper.

If this were only limited to the small scenario I've described, we wouldn't even have a problem. It starts with our government printing vast quantities of "money" as an "economic stimulus", then giving it to people as if it's real in the first place. At least as much as private equity, politicians, and lobbyists aren't able to funnel off.

The "upside" of this is that the money had no real value in the first place. Since "deficit" is an imaginary "IUO" from the government to itself, who after all just printed it.

I always thought that you couldn't owe for something that didn't exist in the first place.

Wolfanoz Wolfanoz said:

bigclick said:

There is still a cold war on people.

You couldn't be more scarily right and accurate all at the same time. It's funny how certain people will brush it off thinking we have a symbiotic relationship when the fact of the matter is, the clock is ticking towards a major conflict. They continue to hack our systems and steal our secrets from the inside out on a daily basis. You tell me if that's what a symbiotic relationship is?

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Personally I hope google is doing this to make a stand for free speech. :P would be nice to see a company stand for anything other than just $$$$$

Eddo22 said:

If I was China I'd just ban Google. Yahoo is probably just as good. I've been using alltheweb.com for a long time now and to be honest Google is overrated.

tripplejjj said:

If Google wants to help the people of China, it needs to abide by the law. At this point in time, the people of China are better off with censored internet search results. It is better to have information then not to have any. Having Google employees and employers arrested, and its assets confiscated would be the end to services by Google. Of course, people will scream and cry foul at first, then in a couple of day, back to business as usual.

Every mountain starts out small. Google, by itself, is not going to make China free over night or within the next 10 years. Google's act of defiance isn't going to make other companies or nations follow in its footstep either. If Google leave China, then others will take its place. It is as simple as that, a status quo.

Thompson said:

I can't believe that China can just hold Google at ransom, talk about total control.

Not only do China want to censor their own people but they want an outside company to do it for them and if that company decides that they aren't up for it anymore tough shit.

If there isn't a contract that Google would be breaking then they should just up and leave, they are allowed the freedom to do business as they see fit.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I wish people would have bit more grasp about what they are commenting on; do you think the corporate media in america (or for that matter any where else in the developed world) is actually providing 'free & fair news/reviews etc. etc.' to its audience? It simply isn't, thats probably the biggest farce there is. However, who have let things come to this? It is us, the people, who just stand by and let others dictate, and stuff us with whatever are the 'so called facts' in their views, relegating the actual truths to obscurity. Therefore, in my view, capitalism/imperialism or communism are pretty much same in almost every respect and i.e. they want to control everything, the resources, people, and worst yet choices from which people can make their opinions and forge their path.

Thompson said:

Do you think the corporate media in america (or for that matter any where else in the developed world) is actually providing 'free & fair news/reviews etc. etc.' to its audience?

No, I don't.

FOX provides it's own brand of bull and every other station does their own bias reporting, the world keeps spinning because you can watch the station that you want to watch, all the points of view are getting through but you have to do your own editing.

Is this the perfect solution? Of course it isn't, if TV stations actually represented both sides of a debate fairly or at least knew what the heck they were talking about there would be a lot less idiotic people out there.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I completely disagree, the ****** exist already, the media just panders to that, it doesn't create it. If TV stations represented both sides of a story equally, a majority of their viewers would be constantly walking around scratching their heads in confusion. I think most of the public needs, wants, and likes to be told what to think. More importantly, they would rather not think, and normally just like to kick back and soak in a BS bath from "Access Hollywood".

We did after all, just languish through 8 long years of a president who for all intents and purposes, wasn't really able form a complete sentence.

Thompson said:

*Shudders*

You're right, unfortunately there are people who want to be told what to think but there are at least a FEW people who want to see an argument upon which they can form their own opinion.

buendia said:

I'd definitely not want to live in that country. They don't even allow people to search the internet without censoring. Geee

People are told what to think by the media because it's heavily controlled, the big news networks get their news stories from a few sources such as AP and Reuters. Notice the handlers of both Fox and MSNBC fight with each other on differing political views yet team up together when demonizing people that they label as 'anti-government'.

The only place to get real news is online and the net is exposing government corruption that the corporate media has been told not to report. That's why countries such as US, Australia, etc are scrambling to pass laws to shut down the free internet.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Everybody is demonizing the media, which is not to say they shouldn't, but the media is responding to the basic state of the people, which is abject apathy and stupidity, The people are sheep, that's why they actually need dictators, kings, and other assorted megalomanics to run their lives, and tell them what to think.

Hard facts on why the US needs to be careful with dealing with Google's dispute with China:

Copy, paste, and be amazed:

rajmond said:

Despite all these "words" from China, I think that Google will handle it!

bigclick said:

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

That does not preclude American companies doing business with China. Walmart tells their suppliers "get your cost down" and how else but cheap labor? Thus having us by the balls. I never said China came over here and forced us to buy their goods..we've been sold out. Has anybody ever given serious thought to the fact that when we run out of third world areas to exploit for cheap labor, we'll either have to go off planet looking for slaves, or breed our own, ala "Brave New World".

Every labor pool starts out hungry, then gradually becomes more affluent, middle class as it were. Then companies have to look for cheap labor elsewhere. This has already happened to Japan, since many, many things are no longer manufactured on their mainland. Who knows, it could happen to China as well, Trouble is, they have the preponderance of the world's population. So, after China, there's almost nowhere else to go.

BTW Mr. Click; when you edit a quote, close the statement with >> <<, it's "way more better" that way.

Yoda8232 said:

Whoever is controlling China like this should be shot, end of story it's not right.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Captain has already replied very eloquently to this assertion; however, I must add one thing which I forgot to add in the original post i.e. that money is being transferred every decade from poor or middle classes to rich. And, I am not sure anyone else would agree to it or not, but I think this so called economic freedom has turned into economic disorder of sorts, since the Regan presidency; and problems has only been compounded with each presidency, as the main aim is to keep feeding this monster, so they don't get blamed for the mega-bust, whenever it happens, eventually.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

It's probably fair to say that capitalism is causing dictatorship via wealth. There's just a few individuals controlling 90% or so of the worlds wealth. There's no one particular face you can hate for it, but a dictatorship none the less.

Here then, people start to clamor for more government control, but what you wind up with then is "socialism", which is really communism, but cleaned up and in a party dress.

We're sheep, and somebody's going to herd us no matter what. The "Who" said, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss", they couldn't be more right.

The underlying motivation for wanting absolute power, is the fact that those who do are sociopaths

Aneesh said:

Its a good dicision by china in all means,because via google products(Google map) we can get in to any palce.Though it is helpfull many others are misusing it even in india terorists using these maps and they can easily blast any place.And so it is the time to STOp over smartness of google and google products.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I would agree with most of these points; however, I think what the french / britts / canadians / germans / norway / finland etc. etc. has done is come up with a socio-capitalist mix, which is much better option; people get all the services they need from government, whereas they have the same free-economy principles. And most importantly, people do get out in numbers whenever their governments try to do something stupid. Funnily enough, people in these countries are living more happier and longer life

If you take just one example, that is, insurance industry, they funnel hundreds of millions of dollars just to terrify people about health care services unlike like these countries, where people have government run but excellently managed healthcare system, why? just so they can deny majority of the genuine cases of any treatment, and increase their profits. Such an dastardly face of so called 'free choice' for the sake of corporate profits.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

What's really scary is the "American Petroleum Institute" lobbying against itself being taxed on national TV. They find a few flunkies to say basically, "oil companies having to pay taxes is bad for the economy". And Exxon Mobile made 27 or so billion dollars lst year. Wow, that's capitalism run amok.

I don't know if you ever heard Jackson Browne's song "Lives in the Balance", but you owe it to yourself to listen to that. It puts this topic into perspective, very succinctly.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

American Petroleum Institute (Pros-ti-tute) has been doing this for ages. Alright, thanks Captain, I will do that.

pyari said:

the one and only reason is its human resource.....the world most populated country is try to threaten to other world with out our economy and man power non other are survive.......don't mess with us. do as what we wanna do?

AimHigh99 said:

I can't wait to see how this unfolds. At this point, Google only stands to lose a little bit of market share by going against the Chinese government. But in the process, they show the world that Google is indeed following their founders' motto."Don't be evil."

Just a few words, For those Americans love to use word to attack other countries,

Just remember this

This Land is not yours. Your elder generation KILLED native Americans and conquest the Land.