Intel's Core i7-980X EE shows up in a slew of gaming rigs

By on March 17, 2010, 1:22 PM
Spending upwards of $999 on the latest and greatest Intel processor might be overkill in most people's book, especially for the marginal performance gains you get compared to the next model down. But that isn't stopping a deluge of system builders from announcing products based on the recently announced Core i7-980X EE. The six-core, twelve-threaded part has already made its way onto gaming rigs by Alienware, Origin PC, CyberPower and Maingear -- among others.

Prices vary from around $2,600 to $5,000 and beyond depending on your configuration. Alienware, for example, has updated its Area-51 line to include the six-core option with a starting price of $3,000, while Origin PC is offering not just the standard 3.33Ghz clocked version but one that's overclocked all the way up to 4.3Ghz.

For big spenders, 'extreme' configuration options are aplenty. Digital Storm is offering a version of its BlackOPS gaming desktop with the i7-980X for a cool $5,642 which will get you the new Extreme Edition chip overclocked to 3.9GHz, along 6GB of DDR3 memory running at 1600MHz, a pair of ATI Radeon HD 5970 in CrossFireX and a liquid cooling system.

Others like CyberPower PC and Maingear are putting the new processor into more than one of their desktop lines to give buyers a bit more choice. The latter will let you configure their F131 with an i7-980X, 3GB of DDR3 and ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics for $2,600, or The Shift starting at around $3,290 when including the six-core part, while CyberPower is now offering the silicon in its Black Mamba, Black Pearl and Gamer Xtreme 3D machines.

This is only the first wave of rigs powered by this chip as we suspect almost every other PC maker will be following suit soon. Enthusiasts are more likely to build their own rigs rather than going with a pre-built system, but it's always nice to see the latest and most advanced hardware hit the scene.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

most systems i've seen that feature the new processor sell for well over $1500 and up towards $3000. i don't see too many of them being sold but it must be nice to be able to afford a setup like that... not that it's practical anyways.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"...while Origin PC is offering not just the standard 3.33Ghz clocked version but one that's overclocked all the way up to 4.3Ghz."

That's a pretty high overclock. I wonder what their warranty is in case their own overclock blows the processor.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Those are pretty crazy prices given the level of performance improvement you get. That said, if i had $5k to spend, why not right?

rskapadia2294 said:

hey dats gr8! good to see that ppl are spending so much on technology!

btw i am also a die hard fan of intel but the price is jus dat i couldn't afford it! i would have to take a loan! lol! but keep going intel!

jjbeard926 said:

God bless the gamers for they push the boundaries of technology into new frontiers and bring what was once a luxury item down in price for us mere mortals. Nothing short of war has pushed technology further than the field of entertainment.

mrwhatever said:

new home teather, 46" display,new computer with quad core and ati eye finitty and im sure i wont spend even 3000, obviously im not gonna get that Core i7 but i wont need it to do the daily gaming i do

im gone .

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

TomSEA said:

Tom,sounds like you have an option to purchase an 90 day/1yr/2yr/3yr or 4 year warranty, but if you mess with their factory OC, you void it.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Doesn't this go back to the old "show them the Corvette, then sell them the Chevelle" strategy"? (Of which I've been a victim). I saw the reviews of the high end core i-7 s, then I bought myself a Core i3-530.

boyese said:

i'll stick wiv my AMDs

flukeh said:

boyese said:

i'll stick wiv my AMDs

AMD everything? AMD GPU and Intel CPU has always been my way to go, but i can be lenient depending on what is out at the time that i purchase, and what reviews i read.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"...sounds like you have an option to purchase an 90 day/1yr/2yr/3yr or 4 year warranty, but if you mess with their factory OC, you void it."

There once was a time when you didn't have to buy warranties.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

There once was a time when you didn't have to buy warranties.
Yeah well, they weren't 4 years either. >>12 or 24 << Months parts and labor max. It's the trying to collect on any warranty that's the aggravation.

Deso said:

It was disapointing to see that one of the sites offered the cpu with a 5770 .... with the lowest price which was 3k or something - . -

pipopaz said:

That's just some insane waste of money, I mean why the need to buy it now if it will come down later on as most of things do? Well if I had lots of money to waste I wouldn't hesitate to do so...

rufio said:

holy smokes, that's one heck of a gaming rig. i remember buying my first gaming rig (P2 500mhz) for almost $2000 a decade ago (probably not the wisest choice either haha)

supyo said:

i really like my Phenom. Does everything i want it too.

skitzo_zac skitzo_zac, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

That image is really frustrating. The case Maingear use for the SHIFT system is awesome and I want one! It's really a shame they don't sell the case by itself.

And In case anyone is going to point it out I already know it is a redesigned SilverStone Raven RV01. They share identical interiors but the Ravens exterior is ugly whereas the SHIFTs exterior is awesome.

Yoda8232 said:

These systems are only for people who don't know lots about PC's that have huge amounts of cash lying around. Just wait till the mainstream 6 core comes out from Intel, like the Q6600 and i5 750, history will repeat again.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Yup, that about sums it up

By the time the Core i7 970 arrives, anyone buying these systems would have had 6-9 months enjoyment from it.

Using the Q6600 as an example is probably a little self-defeating since it debuted at $850, not an insignificant amount then, or now.

Kovach said:

supyo said:

i really like my Phenom. Does everything i want it too.

By the way, I'm waiting for some performance review of Intel's Core i7-980X.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Even if I was going to spend that much on a new PC I would still build it myself. That is half the fun for me, I wouldn't really enjoy buying a pre-built PC. The problem (for me) with spending so much on cutting edge hardware is that the prices drop so fast and something better is right around the corner. I'd prefer to spend half what these systems cost and get most of the performance.

windmill007 said:

I have my Intel dual core E8500 OC to 3.8 and my 260GTX Nvidia graphics card ( got like two years ago). Seriously... can crank any game out there and it plays fine. What is the point of these higher end processors. Your not gaining anything besides milliseconds if that unless your doing video processing.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I wonder how long it will take this thing to open an digitized geological survey drawing, because in the olden days it would take some times an hour just to open the damn file on a Pentium machine running ACAD ....... hmm food for thought

yorro said:

Buying these pre-built monster rigs will just show how clueless a person is. If they have the money then buy one, just prepare for some geeky bashing.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

2600 for a computer and you only get a 5670 and 3gb of ram? These companies are crooks, haha.

I'll never buy "monster rigs" from these companies, especiallllllllllllly Alienware

danteoz said:

There is an upside to all this, when people ask me as a system builder what I can do, I can show them the prices these guys charge and tell them how much I can beat it out by and get there business.

Orionlocke said:

Those prices are pretty crazy on those "Monster Rigs". I have to agree with recipe7, all that money and on some you only get 3 gigs of RAM and an ATI 5670 graphics card? The video card is way more important than the CPU is as far as getting high FPS in games so I don't see how some of those PCs can be called moster gaming rigs and then only have a 5670 graphics card, and then on top of that cost $2600.00.

If I had that kind of money to spend, I'd be building it myself...well, I do that even when I don't have that kind of money to spend

Fopr the small performance increase you get with this new 6 core (especially if your PC is geared for gaming), it just doesn't seem worth the $999 price tag.

If gaming is youtr focus, would be a lot smarter getting a lesser core i7 and then putting the money into a high end graphics card.

EduardsN said:

TomSEA said:

There once was a time when you didn't have to buy warranties.

I would expect that processor to fail after 4-7 years at those voltages/clocks, read that intel had an i7 920 running at 100C for 3 years dont remember any details though

levar said:

Those are some nice rigs, but as stated I'll take my own little time and money and built my own rig I wouldn't necessarily say this is just for clueless people but for gamers who knows how to build PC's but are probably too lazy to do it, and instead you can get what you want at a veryy high price than just building it by yourself and probably saving 1-$2000 but despite the cost personally I just love looking at the specs and pics of these awesome rigs! Especially Digital Storm's love all there builds.

ansarimikail said:

Its a beast. But the article was on the spot, overkill. And is it really reasonable to require a truck every time you go to a LAN?

Richy2k9 said:

hello...

i don't see these beast being mastered by any softs of today & when there will be something for it, i'm sure there will be a new CPU that will be for the new mega monster gaming rig ...

let's just wait till i win the lotto or finally rob that bank.

cheers!

matrix86 matrix86 said:

geeze...I couldn't justify spending that much on a gaming rig, lol.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

matrix86 said:

geeze...I couldn't justify spending that much on a gaming rig, lol.

Especially one that will be obsolete just like every other system in a couple years :-) The only difference is that if your goal is to have the highest end PC available then it becomes obsolete almost immediately. If you just want to have a decent gaming machine then you can spend 1/4th the money and buy a new one every year :-)

"You say you've had your desktop for over a week?

Throw that junk away, man, it's an antique"

-It's All About The Pentiums by Weird Al