Rumor: Duke Nukem Forever being developed by Gearbox

By on August 11, 2010, 4:47 PM
Still praying for the resuscitation of Duke Nukem Forever? Your wish may just come true if a new rumor propagated by Kotaku holds up. Secret sources have told the site that DNF is currently in development over at Gearbox Software -- the folks who brought you Borderlands, Brothers in Arms and various Half-Life expansions.

The studio is said to have picked up straight where 3D Realms left off, and the title will supposedly launch under Gearbox's name. This is very hard to believe, especially if you've long accepted DNF's demise, but it's worth noting that Gearbox also worked on Duke Begins, the Duke Nukem prequel that was axed, or delayed indefinitely.

Even more interestingly, one source claims that a playable demo of DNF is due later this year. Gearbox president Randy Pitchford declined to comment on the rumor, but said he might share more information during next month's Penny Arcade Expo. George Broussard, 3D Realms' founder, didn't respond to Kotaku's requests for comment.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!

I cant say anything more than...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

I can't wait for it to be released so we can finally say, "it was nowhere near worth the wait." On the positive side, SC2 is awesome! : P

Timonius Timonius said:

There are many things that I can believe without actually seeing for myself. DNF isn't one of them.

lipe123 said:

I think the collectors ed will sell with a time machine that takes you and your pc to 1999 so you will be able to really enjoy the game.

Can't wait, can't wait. Can't wait to see Duke and the babes.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

2002 called, they want their rumor back.

kotaku is rarely if ever a credible news source

Again?. I can't imagine being a fan of the series. It must be traumatic.

DokkRokken said:

If true, I hope they incorporate the writing staff from Borderlands. They worked some clever magic in that game, and the possibilities for that same clever humour would be endless in DNF, as well as the awesomely dunderheaded macho schtick.

Night Hacker Night Hacker said:

Woohoo!!! Good news. I have always been a fan of 3DRealms and Duke Nukem.... kind of sad that 3DR won't be finishing it themselves, but from what I have seen, the game was like 95% done already, they won't have too much to finish. A quick search online will show some of the content leaked for this game and almost everyone has been blown away from what they seen, much better than anyone expected. The game was due out April 1st, 2010 until the lawsuit by Take 2 ended that. They were going to release it as an april fools joke. So.... good news anyhow. 3DR hinted at this when they told someone in an interview that something was coming this year. wether or not it will be THIS YEAR is yet to be seen, but I am certain it isn't far off.

Night Hacker Night Hacker said:

P.S: "he might share more information'.... you don't share more info on something that isn't true. This almost confirms it in my opinion.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

pfff, even if it's true, i've lost all interest in the game, unless if they do push it to an A.W.E.S.O.M.E level ...

there's a lot to be done to match current gen games.

cheers!

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

I have zero expectations but I certainly hope Duke can make a comeback on a first person shooter game.

PS: Second Google result for "Duke Nukem Forever" = Vaporware, lol.

isamuelson isamuelson said:

Do we really care anymore? Something else will happen to prevent this from coming out.

LightHeart said:

I really enjoyed Duke Nukem 3D and had great fun with it, however I'm not counting on Duke to make a return after years of promises, rumors and false starts. IF it gets released, then I'll look into it but I'm not even counting eggs let alone chickens.

kyosuke said:

I just noticed that the bad guy in Avatar looks just like Duke

if you believe this, I have a bridge for sale... email me. ;P

Night Hacker Night Hacker said:

I'll buy your bridge, and drive over it collecting my tolls the day DNF comes out, just to spite you!

It IS coming out, you don't fight a year long court battle over vapourware folks. You don't come to an our of court settlement over vapourware. And the game has been leaked all over, you would have to be an ***** to think it won't come out after all that has happened in the past year. From what I have seen, this game is gonna be goooooood and we all know all you nay sayers will be in line to buy it along with the rest of the planet. This will be a big hit, if for nothing else than mere curiosity.

princeton princeton said:

Didn't you guys hear? It already came out. There's even a review on it. The game sure seems perfect to me :P

[link]

/sarcasm

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

You guys comments are cracking me up, hillarious stuff!

I've always been a follower of the game, I was even a regular on their forums years back, and still visit from time to time

I am looking forward to the game and I do think it will come out, but each time I do I think back to a thread that was probably made on their forums like 10 years ago

And people where jokingly saying that DNF wont come out untill year 2017 or something, it sounded awfully crazy back then, but now, lets just say I wont place any bets

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Please don't be another Daikatana failure at release! Duke is a cool dude and deserves a good story and a whole lot of fun getting there.

isamuelson isamuelson said:

All the hype this game has garnered the past 10+ years will pretty much doom it before it even comes out.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

WOW! I was just dreaming about Duke Nukem last night! Wondering why the hell those wall-street fat cats haven't milked his tits

never going to happen i was in my early 20s when they first talked about it im now

in my 40s dont hold you breath if you do you will die waiting for this game