Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse revealed early

By on August 18, 2010, 10:04 AM
Looks like Microsoft's slow reveal of its new "touchy" and "flat" device has been spoiled by a trigger-happy German retailer. Even though no official announcement has been made, notebooksbilliger.de prematurely listed -- and promptly pulled -- the Arc Touch Mouse on its site, complete with details and images of the device itself.

The unconventional looking mouse sports touch-based scrolling, replacing the scroll wheel with a sensor running between the buttons, and like a traditional mouse it can glide over flat surfaces using BlueTrack technology. As its name implies, the device has an arching palm rest to comfortably fit your hand, but the real kicker is that it can also flatten out for easier transportation. There's also a battery level indicatior and ultra-compact nano-transceiver for 2.4GHz wireless connectivity that disappears when not in use in the battery compartment.

The listing showed a release date of October 13 priced at 69.99, which is in line with what Apple is asking for the Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse in Germany. According to Engadget, U.S. pricing is expected to be $69.95.

Cueto_99 said:

This mouse has good looks, and the touch scroll wheel sounds stylish, but I don't see myself comfortably using it. I used to hold and move the mouse by it sides, and, since the arc mouse has no sides at all, I guess it might be very difficult to use...

kyosuke said:

kind of looks like a star trek blaster

example1013 said:

I don't like the sound of a touch-based scroll wheel. It sounds too easy to accidentally hit while clicking, or grabbing the mouse or something. The traditional clickwheel provides resistance and is off the face of the mouse, so it's quite hard to accidentally hit.

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

Have you tried the Magic Mouse, example1013? I've never had any problems accidentally scrolling, but others may have had different experiences with it. Its a slick device, but its not fully supported in windows. It will be nice to have a native touch mouse available.

I'm curious as to how it flattens out... If it is flexible, how does it retain its shape when you have your palm resting on it?

AfricanTech said:

@prismatics and example1013

I had no end of trouble with accidental scrolling with the Apple Magic Mouse - after trying valiantly for about 2 months, I eventually gave up and bought a wireless logitech mx - immediate release. The Magic Mouse is now gathering dust in a drawer.

Richy2k9 said:

kyosuke said:

kind of looks like a star trek blaster

big lol ...

i like the style though, well we'll need some time to adapt.

cheers!

I could see the design being really good for sub-optimal surfaces, or to avoid getting grime all over the bottom of your mouse.

It looks like a hand held vacum cleaner

Jibberish18 said:

I wonder, did Microsoft actually test the ergonomics of a half circle under the palm of your hand or is it purely a marketing thing? Because of this thing can keep my right hand from feeling like it has arthritis from time to time, I'd consider one.