Yahoo Mail Beta redesign coming with new look, features

By Mike Fischer on September 17, 2010, 9:00 AM
At Yahoo's "Product Runway" media event today Chief Products Officer Blake Irving detailed the changes coming to Yahoo Mail in the next few weeks. Featuring a redesigned interface and rearchitectured features, Yahoo hopes to streamline the Mail experience for their 281 million users. As the beta goes live this fall, users will be able to take part in an opt-in program to test the changes out for themselves.

The new purple interface looks to bridge the design gap of the current browser version with the recently released mobile and tablet apps. Shinier interface aside, Yahoo is focusing on more integration between Mail and its other services including Yahoo Messenger, photo sharing tools, SMS support, ties to social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook, as well as making links to Yahoo's other news and entertainment services. Yahoo is also touting the service's redesign as making Mail significantly faster and more accessible, allowing messages to be sent and received at "lightning speed."

i don't care about yahoo

sorry :)

That many people still use Yahoo?

Well, they say ignorance is bliss...

Cueto_99 said:

Yahoo was my first email service... I think it's very reliable and I still use it as my primary email provider... I hope the new interface is as lighting fast as they claim it to be...

motrin said:

... i use yahoo. i made it way back and still use it. Its not my official e-mail mainly for subscriptions and for girls! lol.. tho very few do e-mail these days.

that said, i hope flows better than the last beta. i opted out of that so fast!

It'd be nice if they improved the performance instead of making it more ... shiny/glossy. Isn't it slow enough already?

It's about time! Yahoo mail has been so archaic for a while now.

Lurker101 said:

People still use Yahoo mail?

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

I use it

Was my first mail address I got, and I actually quite like it

Atleast for me the SPAM protection works great

And I use this address for registering on all forums and stuff so it recieves ALLOT of SPAM

Gars Gars said:

1st: atempt : yahoo dont made it

2nd atempt : MS byes yahoo - why?

3th atempt : bing and pretty new yahoo mail

lol

f*off /period

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I actually own a yahoo account, so I've been using pop3 too access my account via third party software for years... though occasionally I find myself checking using the web interface. It is funny to log in for the first time in a year and go "ohay, this is different." XD

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

There is a ton of people that signed up early to Yahoo and Hotmail accounts and still use it to this day. IMHO the difference is that the Hotmail service got increasingly worse while Yahoo remained reliable and speedy for the most part.

Gmail was a disruptive competitor and thank god for that... when Gmail launched Hotmail was still offering free 5mb accounts and Yahoo wasn't much different.

Don't forget that Yahoo mail is the default for AT&T customers, linked to through their individual front pages.