Xbox Live update lands with ESPN, Zune Pass, more

By on November 1, 2010, 3:59 PM
As expected, Microsoft has released its fall update for the Xbox 360 Dashboard today, bringing many of the features showcased earlier this year at E3. Highlights include the addition of ESPN3, revamped Netflix and Zune services, interface changes, new family settings, and support for the upcoming Kinect motion controller.

Sports buffs with an Xbox Live Gold membership will be able to watch 3,500 events a year, including live and on-demand college and pro games. Microsoft has added its music subscription service Zune Pass to Live along with enhanced social and search functionality. Likewise, Netflix has also received a "streamlined search" ability.

Meanwhile, voice chat quality has been improved, there's a streamlined in-dashboard virtual keyboard, an updated Marketplace UI and Gamertag creation, and it's easier to get on a wireless network. You can now sign-out other controllers in the sign-in interface, and there's a new browsing experience for 100% completed games.

The new family settings let you customize privacy and activity settings for each user, including the ability to restrict specific game ratings. Microsoft says the latest update is mandatory, meaning you'll have to install it if you want to access Xbox Live. If you haven't already received the update, you should be prompted soon enough.

ColdFusion1990 ColdFusion1990 said:

I really like the new look of the update. It's a lot snappier and feels more fluid. When you use your Xbox a lot, it really makes a difference when the interface is streamlined and more visually appealing.

The new facelift is nice, but i already found a problem... i tried downloading a previous item that i already purchased and it looks as if i never purchased it before (basically, i would have to repurchase it)... this needs to be fixed asap...

Just updated my console. The console froze up before the update started, so I had to power cycle it. The update did complete, but now everything is sluggish. That, and the console has stop responding a couple of times on me within the last 30 minutes.

CyberChrist said:

I am feeling mixed on this newest update. It is nice that some auto detection for my surround sound and TV is streamlined. But I feel they have made it super family/casual gamer friendly. I feel like they have made it into a soft padded room for what I suspect they expect will be a rush of these types of users for Kinect. That really bothers me lol. I am getting rid of my Gold service so I won't have to deal with it that much I suppose.

I just installed the new update and I just started watching netflix and now there is a white border around the picture now, which has never been there before. If this could be fixed let me know cause this is stupid.

lol. nevermind this, i was watching arrested developement and the beginning of each episode has a white background.

annacourt said:

I think Microsoft is continuing to show people where the money for their subscriptions goes towards. I may lean towards social interaction and the casual gamer, but who doesn't like espn? Plus the more time MS can keep you on their console, the more content can be potentially pushed in your direction. Zune Pass also a highly underrated feature, that I'm surprised that competitors have not yet adopted.

ruzveh said:

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwww

AzHP said:

When I got the update, I wasn't expecting a total reskinning of the system. I'm really glad they got rid of all the vertical space, all I ever needed was My XBox anyway.

im very dissapointed, my content says thats its already paied for but now i have to download all my dlc again, i got boarderlands dlc equaling 2.6gb the modern warfare2 dlc equaling 1gb the skate 3 dlc now thats three quaters of my net usage gone now that is in my opinion unacceptable, now im going to be lagging for the release of call of duty black ops, cheers microsoft love how considerate you are, and guys i play xbox for games not tv, great to im now paying for bullshit that could be used else where

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I do like the update but I still wished they had an update to bring back the old Blades! I mean, the new one can be default but i want an option to switch back to the blades! they were quicker to navigate around!

Who's with me in partitioning this on facebook!

brianmsu said:

awesome... just wish i had the time to use this. definitely what i envisioned xbox live would become. now better than ps3 online, right?

dmoore44 said:

Dear Microsoft, please integrate NHL GameCenter Live and Hulu+ into the XBL experience... It would be much appreciated.

Seriously though, if Microsoft wants to compete with Boxee, Google TV, or HTPCs they need integrate more streaming content services - and fast! - just to keep up with the competition.

frodough said:

i only hope this will prompt PS3 to be more proactive w/ its tie with the social media. i would love to have ESPN (not ESPN 3) and watch live Monday Night Football on my console, make this happen Sony!

Demons said:

I am excited about the netflix update as well as the better audio codec. Though the in-game chat has always been a good feature, the codec they originally picked was pretty lame. ESPN3 is pretty cool too, but I don't know how much I will use it.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Been playing around with the update throughout the day yesterday and it just feels okay to me. I do get the sense that the response rate is quicker which is nice, but the change to white backgrounds is just blinding on top of simple buttons. I don't even need a light on anymore as this will now illuminate the entire room. However the changes to Netflix are very welcomed especially search.

"Sports buffs with an Xbox Live Gold membership will be able to watch 3,500 events a year, including live and on-demand college and pro games."

This isn't entirely true, like most Xbox Gold services you already need to be subscribed to it in order to get the service. ESPN is by far the worst of these services, since your ISP has to pay ESPN for the rights to carry ESPN3 which means your bill goes up. If you have Time Warner Cable you need to pay for a cable package that has ESPN on top of getting internet with them to even access EPSN3. I'm in the latter category and even with it ESPN3 is denying me the service saying I don't have the right package. Haven't had time to contact customer support to get this fixed, but I fear it'll just turn into a blame game between Microsoft, ESPN & TWC.

TechFox said:

espn on the xbox is amazing, and making netflix better just makes my day. we all know how much i hate having to change the imput to watch my sport. the remote control is just soo far away. great additions, cant wait for kinect.

hitech0101 said:

Nice update need to have more cooler updates like these.

jazboy said:

I liked netflix update this was much needed update.

hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhaa nice one