Toshiba ships 10.1" Folio 100 slate in Europe, starts at 329

By on November 4, 2010, 5:55 PM
Toshiba has begun selling its answer to the Apple iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab: the Folio 100. First announced during the IFA 2010 conference in September, the 10.1-inch slate packs a 1024x600 capacitive multitouch display and a dual-core 1GHz Nvidia Tegra 2 system-on-a-chip (SoC) that can pump 1080p video over the device's mini HDMI port.

Other hardware includes 16GB of internal flash storage that is expandable via an SD/MMC card reader, a USB port, 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1 and optional 3G connectivity, a 1.3- webcam, and an accelerometer. Toshiba's tablet weighs 1.67lbs and is rated for seven hours of battery life with typical use, slightly heavier and less juice than the iPad.

The Folio 100 runs Android 2.2 and we hope Toshiba supports future releases but nothing is official. Although it's powered by Google's mobile operating system, the slate doesn't ship with access to the official Android Market. Instead, you'll have to rely on Toshiba's Market Place for apps along with the preinstalled media, messaging and other software.


Toshiba is shipping its tablet to Europeans in Wi-Fi and 3G versions, with pricing set between 329 and 529. Germans can expect to pay 429 for the Wi-Fi model or 529 for 3G connectivity, while the same devices are 399 and 499 in Italy. Meanwhile, UK shoppers will find the Wi-Fi version for 329. Toshiba hasn't set a release date or pricing for the US.

Toshiba's Folio 100 arrives alongside an update on Dell's convertible Inspiron Duo. With so many tablets on the horizon, many question the future of netbooks. Just this week a Microsoft GM said tablets are definitely cannibalizing netbook sales -- something we've heard a few times since the launch of Apple's iPad, which has sold over 7.5 million units.




User Comments: 17

Got something to say? Post a comment
Cueto_99 said:

Just when it was going great with the specs (dual core, 1080p support, webcam) they say it can not connect to the android market... personally it was about to become the ipad killer...

princeton princeton said:

Cueto_99 said:

Just when it was going great with the specs (dual core, 1080p support, webcam) they say it can not connect to the android market... personally it was about to become the ipad killer...

Totally agree, Why would they purposely **** themselves?

matrix86 matrix86 said:

Nice...now if only they'll go for supporting future versions of Android and being able to connect to the Android market. Kind of dumb to put an OS on a device and not let it connect to the app. market place for that OS. Perhaps there's some reason for this decision that they aren't telling us for some odd reason...

vangrat said:

Cueto_99 said:

Just when it was going great with the specs (dual core, 1080p support, webcam) they say it can not connect to the android market... personally it was about to become the ipad killer...

I was on the same roll, it has what...ooo...omg thats awesome...wait WHAT!...okay total fail. Frankly, toshiba should just hang their collective heads in shame. This tablet will be for all intents and purposes DOA.

Alathorne said:

I keep on hearing that the iPad is cannibalizing netbook sales. I hear hard figures on iPad sales: 7.5 million. I just never see a hard figure on netbook sales in 2010, especially in the same article. After a search online, I found that 22 million netbooks were sold worldwide in 2009. ABI Research projected on October 14, 2010 that 43 million netbooks to be sold in 2010. I conclude the iPad cannibalization idea is hyperbole at best.

The funny thing is the title of the ABI Research article is "11 Million Media Tablet Shipments Show Growing Momentum; Netbook Market Growth Slowing." Growth as a percentage always slows as time goes on and the product becomes established. The total sales did not quite double.

vangrat said:

Alathorne said:

I keep on hearing that the iPad is cannibalizing netbook sales. I hear hard figures on iPad sales: 7.5 million. I just never see a hard figure on netbook sales in 2010, especially in the same article. After a search online, I found that 22 million netbooks were sold worldwide in 2009. ABI Research projected on October 14, 2010 that 43 million netbooks to be sold in 2010. I conclude the iPad cannibalization idea is hyperbole at best.

The funny thing is the title of the ABI Research article is "11 Million Media Tablet Shipments Show Growing Momentum; Netbook Market Growth Slowing." Growth as a percentage always slows as time goes on and the product becomes established. The total sales did not quite double.

IMHO, if the iPad has done anything, it has increased the OVERALL sales of netbooks and tablets.

IAMTHESTIG said:

No access to Android Market? No sale in U.S.? Sad.... I was about to say i'd like to try it out and consider buying.

How much RAM does it have? Sounds like it could be a lot more powerful than the iPad, but you pay for that in battery life it seems. What about a Windows 7 version?

crazyboy88 said:

vangrat said:

Cueto_99 said:

Just when it was going great with the specs (dual core, 1080p support, webcam) they say it can not connect to the android market... personally it was about to become the ipad killer...

I was on the same roll, it has what...ooo...omg thats awesome...wait WHAT!...okay total fail. Frankly, toshiba should just hang their collective heads in shame. This tablet will be for all intents and purposes DOA.

I totally agree. What the hell was the management team smoking when the released this product. It was like "Hey let's make a really great tablet, but lets make sure they can't get any apps!"

hassaan said:

I thought the LG tablet was gonna be a great tablet but I'm surprised that this came out so fast. Hopefully Toshiba is working on the Gingerbread update so that they can update this ASAP.

dlen said:

I am really surprised that they don't allow to connect to Android Market. What is the purpose of this tablet then? to use the system only?

7410xas said:

vaporware with a lame name. tobisha does a good job pushing with the trend at a decent price. however, i cannot bear to see more "market proprietary"

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Why are the frames so big on these things recently.

raventrickster said:

So close to grabbing my attention as a worthy contender in the tablet market, and then they don't allow you to connect to the android marketplace. Seriously Toshiba? That pretty much defeats 3/4 of the purpose of using android in the first place.

Jibberish18 said:

IMHO, if the iPad has done anything, it has increased the OVERALL sales of netbooks and tablets.

Reports are showing that it has decreased the sales of laptops and netbooks. Laptops, to me still have their place in your home. But netbooks were just a fad. Don't get me wrong they can be useful for certain people but most people just wanted one because it was small and cute. Now tablets on the otherhand are going to be great once they involve.

Puiu Puiu said:

just the fact that people can't use the android market is going to make this product a big failure (and the high price)

Guest said:

It's not Toshiba's fault. Google doesn't support tablets in the Android market yet. That's coming in the next version of Android OS aka Gingerbread (2.3 or 3.0)

AbsolutGaloot said:

Dang, I'd have gotten one at launch, too, if it had access to the android market. Been wanting a tablet for use in the kitchen, but don't want an ipad. Hopefully they'll see the light and give access to the android market soon.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.