Nicaragua invades Costa Rica due to Google Maps error

By on November 5, 2010, 2:34 AM
Former Nicaraguan military commander Eden Pastora is blaming Google Maps for ordering his army to invade a portion of Costa Rica, according to Search Engine Land. The troops set up camp, took down a Costa Rican flag, raised the Nicaraguan flag, destroyed a protected forest, cleaned up a nearby river, and dumped the sediment in Costa Rican territory.

"Look at Google's satellite photo and there you can see the border," Pastora told La Nacion (Spanish translation), the largest newspaper in Costa Rica. "In the last 3,000 meters, the two sides (of the river) are Nicaraguan. Then from there to El Castillo, the border is the right riverbank, it's clear."

Apparently Google Maps isn't always right. The official maps used by both the Nicaraguan and Costa Rican governments show the border continuing on the right bank of the San Juan River all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. As you can see in the image above, Bing Maps shows the border more accurately. If Pastora is going to ignore the official maps and insists on using an online mapping service, maybe Costa Rica should tell him to just Bing it next time.

speeedy6 said:

Lol I find this hilarious!

hassaan said:

This is so absurd, I mean what the heck!!

I'm actually short of words here. =/

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Oh wow this is ridiculously funny. The military using Google.. we're doomed!

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

...oh I see what happened here. The Nicaraguan army Didn't stay "slightly right "at Rio San Juan.

oooppsy daisy!

hahahahahaha

todays big fail

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Agreed with Guest, What a FAIL this is :P

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

This must be a joke... a government let this happen? What a FAILURE.

Serag said:

Wow this is funny in a ridiculous way, furthermore I think the military decided to use Google maps instead of the official map because they thought it'd be more accurate and up to date, I'm just saying.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Why did they destroy the forest preserve? I don't get that part.

Are they trying to lower the number of specialists in the nearby Costa Rican town?

Too bad Microsoft probably doesn't want to piss of the Nicaraguan government, this would make one hell of an advertising campaign.

Maybe someone in their military read the article about US special forces using Android phones, so they figured why not be like the Americans and also use Google to aid their military.

Will Google now need to put a disclaimer on Google Maps, "For non-military use only"?

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Or the other way around, promote it saying "Google Maps: Even the military uses it"

kaonis92 said:

What a serious government!

Arris Arris said:

Sounds like they were just using Google as a scapegoat, an excuse to mess with Costa Rica. I'm sure if you'd just reclaimed part of your country from a neighbouring one the first action wouldn't have been to destroy your own forest land...

thebluemeaner said:

the note says that they took down a costa rican flag, apparently costa rica had taken the land for themselves...

bioflex said:

now this is soo hilarious....come on, how could they base their actions on google maps when they already had real maps which they had been using for soo long?....

Governments love to look as gods on earth and morally superior to justify their forceful actions on peaceful people. I love how stories like this show how amateur they really are. Wake up, we are ruled by morons who just happen to be good at fooling us into obedience. It's all a show.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You just can't make this stuff up can you....

bugejakurt said:

This military commander Eden Pastora is just soooo foolish to do this act! Why didn't he called up Google and told them about the problem? WTF?!

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Or, ---> Google Maps: Serve you best when you are in mood of invading and looting any of your neighbors

But after this incidence, another probability can come into play i.e. they may force likes of google to use maps they approve of.

Bluemagma said:

Eden Pastora says, " I wonder if I can see my kingdom on google maps!, here's my house, heres my mothers house....." click click click.. click....click....CLICK.... CLLLIIICCCKKK. "OH HELL NO!, GATHER THE TROOPS! THEY TOOK THIS FROM UNDER OUR NOSE!"

Costa Rica says, "?"

Eden Pastora says, "ATTAAAAAAACK!!!!"

Costa Rica says "Do we even have an army?"

Eden Pastora says, "Enrique Call google immediately about our conquest. Tell them to send a team down for new images"

Costa Rica says, " Seriously WTF?"

Eden Pastora says, "AH HAAAAH my first true victory!

sMILEY4ever said:

Julio said:

...and fails by doing so.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Are we being punk'd?

This is positively the biggest fail in military history.

urluckee said:

and who relies on google maps?

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

bluemagma said:

Costa Rica says, "?"

Eden Pastora says, "ATTAAAAAAACK!!!!"

Costa Rica says "Do we even have an army?"

Costa Rica says, " Seriously WTF?"

Eden Pastora says, "AH HAAAAH my first true victory!

this actually brightened up my day!

shit day at work, thought i'm jump on techspot to see possibly the funnyest comment i've ever read

edison5do said:

If a person with that responsability on hands is doing that kind of CRAPS!! we have to be worried about our future. I mean i can just make a mess and then fixed, cause im just my self, but A WHOLE FREAKIN COUNTRY in your hand AND ATTACKING KEEPING GOOGLE┬'S SHIT!!!.. DA""#$IT..

WHAT┬'S NEXT NOW GOOOGLE TAKING OVER THE WORLD-??

brianmsu said:

i can't even believe this is real

Cueto_99 said:

I don't think they invaded because of google's maps... Nicaragua's government is known here in South America for being aggressive and expansionist... They are also currently demanding the islands of San Andres and Providence which rightfully belong to Colombia... Google is only an excuse... And since Nicaragua's army is so tiny, they only have the guts to attack a country with no army at all like Costa Rica...

princeton princeton said:

Wow... this isn't even funny. It's god damn pathetic. I'm sure their government will be the laughing stock of the world for a long time.

techpoppin techpoppin said:

I guess that shows you where Google's priorities are at...

Bluemagma said:

burty117 said:

bluemagma said:

Costa Rica says, "?"

Eden Pastora says, "ATTAAAAAAACK!!!!"

Costa Rica says "Do we even have an army?"

Costa Rica says, " Seriously WTF?"

Eden Pastora says, "AH HAAAAH my first true victory!

this actually brightened up my day!

I do what I can

Storagebox said:

i dont want to think what they were using before google maps....

Razerblade said:

Why on earth would the military use Google maps? They have much better technology and it even says they have official maps! I will never understand some peoples thinking!

TeamworkGuy2 said:

This is just hilariously funny. Why would a government military commander use Google Maps?

jjbeard926 said:

Wow, another first for google. You'd think before allowing the troops or ordering the troops to do this that they'd double check an "official" map somewhere?

starfreezer said:

More importantly: What's Google's interest in this!? All part of their grand plan of some sort. I wonder how this story's second chapter will look like...

omega00 said:

Very funny! How hard is it to take the time to look at official, military maps? Or at the very least, use Google maps, Bing Maps, MapQuest, and other online map services for comparison before doing what this military commander did.

I just shat myself

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Pastora, "I freaking hate those Costa Ricans. They taunt me with their lack of an army! All the while having more beautiful women than us. What are we going to do Miguel?"

Miguel, "I don't know sir. It pains me too. I hear that they even have a colony made of only the most beautiful women."

Pastora, "Really!?"

Miguel, "Si, they hide in the forest because they don't wear any clothes."

Pastora, "Where is this place?"

Miguel, "Do you have your official maps?"

Pastora, "No, used them all to light my cigars."

Miguel, "Then bring up Google Maps on your computer. See, right there next to the river."

Pastora, "Wait a second, that's Nicaraguan territory! That's our forest! Quick! Round up the troops, and burn down the forest! Pastora is going to be 'getting much work done' tonight!"

Miguel, "I think you mean, 'getting busy' sir."

Pastora, "Shut up! You go clean up the river for that!"

compu4 said:

Oh my! You know that a country is in sad shape when its military uses google maps for reconnaissance purposes. For god's sake, get some modern Military Hardware.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wow this is too funny :p.

@wagan8r - rofl!

TwiztidSef said:

It seems incredibly foolish that they didn't consult some sort of written document before just attacking. I wouldn't truth either bing or google in something like that. I mean, any halfway competent country should have a system to prevent their generals from taking complete command like this. I guess it wouldn't have mattered if he had alot of loyal troops, but that was a huge blunder. Maybe he just raged out, and when he woke up he found out he invaded his neighbors or something.

taea00 said:

Wow so now Google is to blame for starting wars? I think they're just a bunch of Google haters and got mad about the whole Buzz thing so they decided to invade Costa Rica just to make Google look like the bad guys!

This is just too funny for words.

gLitCh32 said:

Wow! That's hilarious, and thanks to everyone for the funny comments. Great way to start the day!

RebelFlag said:

you know you are dealing with a budget army when they use google maps. This should help google's case about not being taken seriously by the US government.

Afenix said:

lol claiming that there might be another world war cause of a google maps issue LOL

grvalderrama said:

If they use google maps... they would probably use command and conquer's military strategies... what a *******!

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

supersmashbrada said:

Are we being punk'd?

^This.

I seriously can't believe this real...

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

supersmashbrada said:

Are we being punk'd?

^This.

I seriously can't believe this is real...