PlayStation Phone shown off running Android 2.3

By on December 4, 2010, 1:42 PM
The PlayStation Phone, codenamed Zeus Z1, has received a nice new leak, this time in video form. It reveals just how fat the Sony Ericsson phone really is and also clearly shows that the device is running Android 2.3 (codenamed Gingerbread). The audio-less video in question is embedded below, but if you want to make sure that there really is a PlayStation icon for the dedicated PlayStation app, check out the second shorter video.

Separately, seven pictures taken with the phone’s camera have leaked to Picasa. If the camera is a big factor in your decision for a phone, check the pictures out; they're not half bad.

Less than two months ago, details of the PlayStation Phone leaked out. The phone will supposedly come with a custom Sony Marketplace for purchasing and downloading games designed for the new platform. The device sports a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655, 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM, and a screen ranging from 3.7 to 4.1 inches. The handset also includes a long touchpad in the center which is apparently multitouch, as well as familiar PlayStation shoulder buttons. There's no Sony Memory Stick slot, but there is support for microSD cards. Right now, a 2011 release is most likely.

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

Looks really interesting, too bad the video doesn't show any gameplaying at all.

princeton princeton said:

The device sports a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655, 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM

Then it's already outdated -_-. You would think a gaming device would sport a tegra 2 and 1GB of ram.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wow, that thing looks like a brick.

Sadly, weight and design are strong factors for me. I'll just wait for the Nexus S.

MrAnderson said:

I don't get why they should use andriod. I can see if they made an Ericsson Android phone... but to call it playstation phone. You'd think they'd want to keep the Playstation name unified. Little that I like GUI on PS3, PSP etc... it could be fine for a phone.

Maybe they save time with not having to build a touch interface... but they still should have did what HTC and others have done and altered the UI to be inline with the other PS products. This being a not finished product may be different...

We will see and I'm much interested. I would love to see Nintendo in the phone space. I think they could kick butt just as good as Apple with their strong hardware design and their user interface fresh use of technologies to complement the user experience skills.

Cota Cota said:

I had never seen the point of mixing all the stuff in one single item... and make it slim to sacrifice performance, wich let us whit a slacky performance for WHAT WE CAN GET NOW. Also if they add a stapler to it, it would be awesome *heavy sarcasm*

Well, it looks like Sony has done right by A) using Android as their platform, and B) ditching the Memory Stick Duo garbage. Sony aligning itself with standards and popular platforms? Unheard of.

MrAnderson said:

Cota said:

Actually the current phones... Android and iPhones are way more powerful than PSP and DS... the issues that come with combining phone and game is if the dpad and game buttongs are removed... then touch is all you have and the normal games are not fun on the platform. I don't mind the combining of the devices... I just wish they had two separate batteries =P

vangrat said:

This is a dream phone, and honestly if they had released it two months ago, I would be all for it. But now I will just wait two years and get the next best thing. I am glad they are developing it further. But, I needed a phone now not in the future. So no PSPhone for me...le sigh.

aj_the_kidd said:

A customized UI would have been nice, i'll be interested to see what games are available since if cant play PSP games. I am also curious if it will receieve the Anroid 3.0 update, anyone know if it will?

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Looks interesting. I think it makes sense to marry a phone and a game controller. Phone hardware is decent enough these days for some nice gaming, so combine this with a controller and a power that can push a gaming UI (which I think will be there) and gaming store, and I think it could be good.

jstillion jstillion said:

@ Guest - Playstation 3 runs yellow dog Linux and the Android Kernel is based off of and is identical to Linux. Stfu

That was until Sony removed the option completely (any update after 3.15 removes Linux support from the PS3). That being said, these would be PSN games programed for Andriod OS. If PSP 2 goes custom andriod OS, I supect you see games that work on both.

are you a spaz or something! 1ghz is really fast for a mobile phone, its has the same ammount of ram as the iphone! this looks like its going to be a really good phone, to bad about the thickness

Wow. Really copies the design of the PSP Go. I think to download games should be a PlayStation Store app for Android