Chrome takes 10% of the market, IE slips to 57%

By on January 3, 2011, 3:46 PM
Despite launching only two years ago, Google's Chrome now represents 9.98% of the total browser market share according to Net Applications' latest numbers. Further enforcing its lead on Safari and Opera, Chrome has nearly doubled in share since the start of 2010 when it held 5.22% of the market. By comparison, Safari has moved from 4.53% to 5.89% throughout the year, while Opera maintained a stagnant 2.xx% portion.

Naturally, Chrome's mounting presence has affected Internet Explorer and Firefox. IE's descent continued in 2010, dropping from 62.12% in January to 57.08% in December, while Firefox fell from 24.43% to 22.81%. Both Microsoft and Mozilla are preparing significant updates for their products with Internet Explorer 9 and Firefox 4 due sometime early this year, so it'll be interesting to see how that affects the stats -- if at all.

Browsers aside, Net Applications shows that Windows 7 gained more than 13% during 2010, closing the year out with 20.87% of the operating system market. That's one in five computers, mind you. Windows XP is slowly losing footing, falling some 10% to 56.72% during the year. Meanwhile, Vista dropped more than 5% to 12.11%. Mac OS X 10.6 and 10.5 collectively represent 4.51% (1.45 and 3.05%) as of December.

KG363 KG363 said:

I love chrome. I'm glad to see it growing.

But I am very surprised that win7 is already on 1 in 5 computers. That's incredible

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I used Chrome for a while, but I still am sticking with Firefox on my main computer due to NoScript. It really alerted me to how stuff from other sites is running on an average web page.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

I tried Chrome and just couldn't get used to it. It's by no means a criticism of it, it's just I'm too used to Firefox.

Love Chrome mainly because it's FAST. I would never have left Firefox if it wasn't for that.

On another note, I don't believe anyone half-computer savvy would use IE as their main browser so what this stat really suggests to me is approx what percentage of computer\Windows owners actually have any meaningful knowledge of how to use it.

Zecias said:

sarcasm said:

yeah i felt the same way about it at first, but i stuck with it cuz its fast and now im used to it

agresive comercial. but opera still the best.

I stay away from Chrome because of privacy issues.

I love Chrome. I am very happy to see it's growing. Cheers!!!

I don't like Chrome, because of lack of extensions and poor privacy. Also, Google is going to be another Microsoft and I don't like it all.