It's official, Verizon to sell iPhone 4 on February 10

By on January 11, 2011, 3:01 PM
After seeing more rumors than we care to count, we can finally lay this one to rest: the iPhone is officially coming to Verizon. The popular handset line has only been available through AT&T in the US since its initial debut in 2007, but that exclusivity pact has apparently expired. Verizon will begin selling the iPhone 4 on Thursday, February 10 and existing Verizon Wireless customers will have the opportunity to pre-order the handset online starting February 3.

Pricing for the iPhone 4 appears to be identical to AT&T. When paired with a two-year service contract, the 16GB model will cost $199.99 and the 32GB version will be $299.99. We're not sure if Verizon will introduce a new data plan with the iPhone 4, but existing data packages start at $15 for 150MB of transfer or $29.99 for unlimited. By comparison, AT&T charges $15 for 200MB and $25 for 2GB, but the provider axed its unlimited plan option last year.

Apple has tweaked the antenna location and removed the SIM slot for the CDMA iPhone 4, but things seem mostly unchanged feature-wise from the GSM version. It's worth noting that the mute and volume controls have been moved down slightly, so some of the current iPhone 4 cases might not fit properly. The Verizon iPhone 4 has a newer version of iOS (4.2.5) with a "Personal Hotspot" option, but it's unclear whether this is exclusive to the CDMA model.

princeton princeton said:

Now we see the decline of AT&T. I'm estimating possibly 5% of iphone users on AT&T are going to jump ship.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

I'm estimating that your estimate is 90% incorrect.

princeton princeton said:

Matthew said:

I'm estimating that your estimate is 90% incorrect.

Have you heard the amount of people complaining about AT&T's service? If you look at the coverage map it isn't just "the vocal minority"

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Cool. People like to complain. I complain about AT&T all the time. Discontentment =/= action.

princeton princeton said:

Matthew said:

So I'm the only one who would be willing to pay the ETF? This is why these companies don't care, because nobody acts on what they say.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

You're swinging between two ridiculous extremes. No, you aren't the only one that would pay the ETF, sell their device and sign up with Verizon. Nor will 50% of AT&T's iPhone subscribers bail because Verizon is suddenly offering the same exact device AT&T received last summer. You complain about trolls so much, but I question the motive behind your comments sometimes.

princeton princeton said:

50% was an exaggeration. If that's breaking the rules I'll gladly change it to a more realistic number like 2-5%. Trolling statements are completely fictitious. An exaggeration just has one part that's not really true/accurate to emphasize.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Your statement was completely fictitious. "Now we see the decline of AT&T. I'm estimating 50% of iphone users on AT&T are going to jump ship."

princeton princeton said:

Matthew said:

Change 50 to 5. Then it isn't. The statement as a whole was, but different then trolling as trolling is nonsensical and can't be made logical simply by changing a variable. Obviously I should have thought about the ridiculous overstatement in my original post, but in no way was I attempting to "troll".

KG363 KG363 said:

I'm perfectly content with AT&T. I get great coverage where I live. I won't be bailing to go to Verizon

I know I'm leaving AT&T ;]

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

Nice post editing there princeton... I come back to find you have changed your 'mind' from 50% to 5% and added additional wordage to imply uncertainty, throwing the original argument out the window.

Your original points were ridiculous and unsubstantiated so I couldn't help but agree with Matthew, but after you edited your own replies I think it is clear your posts can't be taken seriously anyway. Hah.

princeton princeton said:

Rick said:

I edited them after Matt made it clear that the exaggeration could be considered trolling on Techspot. I don't feel like getting banned for trolling so I edited it to an actually realistic number.

People who travel a lot would find cdma phones a pain in the ***. GSM network has more advantages than CDMA. The only problem in the USA is AT&T, and sad that it is the leading GSM network there. AT&T should improve their network and introduce nice plans.

GSM based networks has more clear future than CDMA based networks.

tonylukac said:

You make it sound like the IPhone costs only $15 dollars a month. That's about what I pay for my prepaid phone. More realisticly, you must also have a minimum of a $60 voice plan to go with that. When they start changing $15 a month for a smartphone, that's when I'll get one. Why can't I keep it 10 years? Where's the recession when people pay at least $75 a month for their phone plus the purchase price? My home phone service, Ooma, is free. My home internet is $20 a month. What do I need to pay such a premium price to surf the web on a phone WHILE DRIVING?

You don't need $60-70 voice plans + $15 data plans for smartphones. That's some myth you have made up. I have a $33 voice plan + $15 data plan and I got the Galaxy S phone for free with Amazon Wireless on AT&T.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

tonylukac said:

So, the appropriate question here is, where did you live again?

the beginning of the end for at&t. who the fuk would use them after this? good riddance.

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

Oddly enough, I've got AT&T and an iPhone and I'll be leaving AT&T soon. The service at my home is dreadful and I've had plenty of trouble out and about with it as well. Only thing I'm waiting for is Verizon LTE to mature a little and get some nice smartphones supporting it. I'd be too sore buying a new smartphone for Verizon just to have it lag behind the next gen network, and like hell if I'd replace a working phone just for the next gen model.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I find it odd that voice plans are more expensive than data. Only because I primarily use data (text/web) on my phone more than voice.

But to this announcement, I'll wait for the 4G version of this phone. Or just pick up an Android which already supports 4G.

Appzalien said:

I've never owned a cell phone so forgive my ignorance. But once Verizon is in the mix, can't you fix your older AT&T phones to work on the Verizon network so you don't have to sell them? I have read a few articles on hacking phones to work with other OS's why not other carriers?

I saw an article where AT&T was pressuring the Government to allow them to discontinue hard wired service and go all cellular. To me this is just criminal. Sure cells are more popular but the old style wired phones have their own power supply and work even when the electricity goes out and you can't charge a cell with no electricity (in the car maybe).

Personally I hate phones all together, and would shoot Alexander Gram Bell if I could go back in time. 95% of the calls I get now are asking for money for charity or some other scam. Then come election time, I get 10-15 calls a day from some stupid politicians. Someday I mighjt own a cell, but not if I can avoid it.

A phone plan should cost $5 a month, cable TV should be $15 and they would still make money. The carriers complain they need all that money to keep their infracstructure going but they lie and keep the money while the infrastructure moves toward failure and they will force the Government to fix it for them (bail out anyone?).

AH! America, land of the not so free and home of the pigieons.