KFA2 unveils wireless GeForce GTX 460

By on January 13, 2011, 3:27 PM
KFA2 (a Galaxy sub-brand) has unveiled a new version of the GeForce GTX 460 that eliminates the need for display cables. The card utilizes WHDI (Wireless Home Digital Interface) and transmits video signals from five antennas over the 5GHz band to the included WHDI receiver, which is connected to your desktop monitor or HDTV.

The wireless range supposedly reaches 30m or 100ft through walls and it can handle uncompressed 1080p videos at 60Hz. Apart from the wireless functionality, you're basically looking at a stock GTX 460 1GB with 336 CUDA Cores, a 675MHz graphics clock, 1350MHz processor clock, 1800MHz memory clock, and a 256-bit memory interface.

It also has DVI, DisplayPort and mini-USB ports on the rear I/O plate, as well as a 6-pin PCIe power connector. Standard GTX 460s only support two displays at once and we imagine WHDI connectivity doesn't change that, so keep that in mind if you want to run two desktop monitors with your TV simultaneously.

The card is backed by a two-year warranty and it's slated for a European launch with no word on US availability or pricing.

princeton princeton said:

Actually for people with..... no actually I can't see any real world use. Though I do bring my PC to many places so it could benefit someone like me. If anyone heard about pricing could you let me know?

CamaroMullet said:

Wow, that's pretty freakin' cool, as long as it works of course. I have one pc that I use for a HTPC ( Once a week or so ) and a homework pc for the kids, I always have to unhook it and drag it to the other side of the room. I'm curious about the pricing though.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I want one. Not sure why but I do. Cool bit of kit

I'm ready to go fully wireless. This is another step along the way... assuming that it's functional. Performance still trumps convenience/cool factor.

princeton princeton said:

I'm somewhat worried about latency.

princeton princeton said:

CamaroMullet said:

I didn't talk about HTPC's in my original comment because if your HTPC can accommodate a card this size it isn't an HTPC.

great idea, pollute the 5ghz band with pointless nonsense just like the 2.4ghz band before it.

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

Princeton said:

CamaroMullet said:

Thats not true, I just put a GTX 460 in a Silverstone SG05BB and that thing is tiny!

The thing that I don't like about this card, and other devices like it, is that in most ITX cases the mobo is horizontally oriented (at least, the ones I've been looking at), which means this card would stand vertically, and the antennas wouldn't be able to be aimed upward.

hmm... for those wanting quite just keep the core system in a different room; just make sure your wireless components can also go through walls. Watch streaming movies on a tv/monitor when the tower is in a different room... the idea almost got me drooling.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wow...that's pretty trippy. I'd be concerned about latency and interference too. Although any effort to get rid of or minimize cabling is all right by me.

Does this card handle audio? If not, I'm not sure how useful it will be.

princeton princeton said:

I meant no HTPC should need a gtx 460.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Funny enough, I was talking to a friend how the only wires I have left on my mini-ITX desktop (which will become a HTPC whenever I finally build a new computer) is video and power. I agree at the moment this is largely a novelty at the moment and likely not the greatest idea for gaming... BUT: If you use the DVI for your main display and then have the wireless for a HDTV, that CAN be quite useful. Latency is not necessarily that important for multimedia as long as the audio and video is synced. If it is video only and not both video and audio, then it truly is a novelty/gimmick in my opinion.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hmm not sure how useful getting rid of one cable is, there's still going to be the power supply, USB, audio and other cables there.

CamaroMullet said:

Does this card handle audio? If not, I'm not sure how useful it will be.

That's a good point, damn it! Oh well.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

wow, Dividebyzero was all over this last august

[link]

I'll move my monitor with me beside the bed just to watch p0rn. no more sitting on the chair with this technology.

:P

princeton princeton said:

red1776 said:

wow, Dividebyzero was all over this last august

[link]

Lol. Then why is it just being announced now(according to TS)

DokkRokken said:

Princeton said:

red1776 said:

wow, Dividebyzero was all over this last august

[link]

Lol. Then why is it just being announced now(according to TS)

I read about this last September on HWC, and according to the article, this was supposed to have been ready to ship in October. Something must've really held up this card.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Lol. Then why is it just being announced now(according to TS)

A LOT of hardware makes the rounds long before it's ever released. Galaxy probably "seeded" the initial "leaks" to guage what kind of reception, and likely adoption rate, of the card. Pretty much standard operating procedure*.

Looks as though Galaxy listened to HTPC owners who wanted a single slot version that would be usuable with mATX boards that also needs slots available for TV tuner and sound cards -the original offering was dual slot.

* Other examples of company-assisted "leaks" doing the rounds would be AMD's [link] (to deflect the media from the clusterf___ happening at their board level, tho won't be helping Phenom sales now) and GTX 560 Ti performance figures (expect HD6950 1Gb figures to pop up "accidentally" very soon).

I smell privacy issues..

princeton princeton said:

dividebyzero said:

Lol. Then why is it just being announced now(according to TS)

Oh I know about purposely leaked material. But that picture you posted, I was under the impression it was your card. So I thought it was possibly already released for a short period in 2009.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

A unique looking card, to be sure. I still don't see the advantage of using a wireless signal to send video to my monitor versus using a standard cable setup. I've also read about Wi-Fi routers using the 5 Ghz band and I wonder if it will affect the wireless signal from this particular video card.

i find that relatively stupid.. they trying to eliminate cables but at the end of the day you still need a power cable to the monitor.. so you still have a cable to run.. nice idea.. pity they have not brought out wireless power yet...

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ..... Interesting... Yes Good Point ..

TwiztidSef said:

I hope they expand on this just a little further. So it can also accept wireless signals. If that were the case, a good monitor manufacturer would make a monitor with a battery and touchscreen.

mailpup mailpup said:

So since they don't have wireless power, no one should bother with any form of wireless transmission?

princeton princeton said:

They have wireless power(I got owned by someone when I denied it) but what people don't realize is wireless electrons will NEVER be safe.

If you have to plug the monitor into the wall for power, who cares if it is plugged into the PC as well?

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Does this card handle audio? If not, I'm not sure how useful it will be.

This may be something overlooked.. any uses for this would also need wireless audio..but I suppose there are other kits to support that.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

No, it hasn't been overlooked. Anyone who is curious would probably Google the WHDI spec, and under the definition of WHDI would note that [link] .

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I saw wireless power domo'd last year, I didn't know you could purchase it yet, and I have no idea how it works. But when you say it will never be safe, do you mean security or safety?

Actually, I like the idea but I'd need it on a smaller scale, something more feasible and affordable. I'm the lead technician of a computer sales and service shop, and nothing draws customers like the coolest, newest, and greatest. We built an ITX machine using Lian Li's T1 "Spider" chassis. Bells and Whistles included. Corsair XMS with LEDs, massive V8 chiller with LED fans, LED fan on the 9800 GT we have installed. It's made to look like a freak show so people ask questions, get excited, and shop with us. The coolest thing is we only have two cables coming out of the thing, the DVI and the power. It's running a DiNovo via bluetooth, and serves as the clean research machine. If I could run wireless power and\or wireless video, I would. It would allow the thing to be fully mobile. Imagine a functioning desktop powerhouse that can move around like your laptop.

one step closer to visors for virtual computing.

Wrong - any HTPC worth it's salt can play 3D Batman right after you watch the movie.

I can't wait to watch my neighbors video output. I really hope it does audio too.

Emin3nce said:

So if my wife turns on the microwave my game of ME2 turns to WATCH THE PRETTY KALAEDESCOPE?!

omagad, what do buy one where?

Hmm, I personally can't think of many practical use of this card, unless they also come out with a wireless remote control that can penetrate walls.