Leaked: Windows 8 Milestone 1 installer screenshots

By on January 28, 2011, 10:28 AM
Leaked screenshots showing an installer that specifically references Windows 8 have shown up for the first time. My Digital Life forum user "canouna" posted them, though they're clearly marked as having been taken by Zukona, an infamous leaker during the early Windows 7 development days. We've embedded one of the screenshots below. If you'd like to see the other two, check out the forum thread.

The most interesting part of this leak is that the copyright date clearly shows the year 2012. Rumors have claimed Windows 8 will be released on January 7, 2013, but we have argued against them. We've known for a while that Microsoft is targeting 2012 for the release of Windows 8, though of course, nothing is set in stone.

The build in question is from Milestone 1, which means it is outdated if we are to believe the rumors that Milestone 2 has already been compiled. This happens often: leakers can't always get their hands on the latest builds.

As a new Microsoft operating system takes shapes, the Windows enthusiast community comes together to share and discuss new builds. We're looking forward to the upcoming leaks. Are you?

Johny47 said:

Will Windows 8 be free or be cheaper(to upgrade) if you have Windows 7? would be cool and a nice feature.

I'm sure it will be cheaper to use the upgrade path, as have past versions of Windows. But free? LOL, good luck with that.

treeski treeski said:

Go back to school so you can pick up the upgrade for $30

...well okay that might defeat the purpose, but at least if you're in school you can get it for super cheap.

A new OS from MS already? It seems like 7 just came out last year. If they want to add new features it should just be a free update.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

If its like the Leapard to Snow Leapard update then maybe it should be really cheap? then again, to buy a full license will probably cost the same as a new Windows 7 one...

DokkRokken said:

Why would MS want to give you new features for free?

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Why would MS want to give you new features for free?

Windows XP gave a bunch of new features for free as the service packs came along. Built in firewall for example.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

johny47 said:

....................HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You must be forgetting that this is a Microsoft Product.

SNGX1275 said:

Yes, but those were service packs. Win8 is supposed to be a new operating system. I know you were responding to someone who said MS doesn't give free updates, but i'm just pointing out that Win8 is not just a simple update like you get from service packs.

I'm kind of worried about Win8, though. It took 10 years to get another great OS out (Vista was an incomplete Win7) so i'm not sure how they're going pull off another great OS in 3 years. I could be wrong. Who knows. Win8 could somehow manage to blow 7 out of the water...good luck with that, lol.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Windows 8 has to be epic and redefining or why bother with it, Windows 7 works very well... aren't they going to be undermining there own product by doing this?

treeski treeski said:

xclusiveitalian said:

This is perfectly said, and really it's a reason to get excited. Windows 7 compared to Vista is stunning. Win 7 is everything Vista should have been. In releasing the next version of Windows, Microsoft MUST put together something particularly awesome and innovative, if they're going to follow up something as successful as Win 7. Of course, they may flop in general with Win 8, and if they do, no big deal - we still have Win 7, and we can always wait for Win 9 =P

IAMTHESTIG said:

HEY MICROSOFT! If you're reading, put the damn diskpart in GUI form in the setup process! Why do I have to go into a command prompt to clean the partition records from my drives???

Argghh... in all seriousness i'm quite happy with Windows 7, apart from some small annoyances like little advanced features being removed (disk free space in Explorer status bar anyone) and complicating ways of navigating to certain frequently accessed items like network card connection properties. I realize some of this stuff is to clean the UI and put things in a more logical order, but some of it also just adds more steps to do the same thing you did in XP. It is really annoying at times...

Anyway enough ranting, i'm always looking forward to improved software, relative as the term may be.

Damn, I can't believe nobody noticed this was fake. You can tell by just tilting the screen of your laptop. At least they could have made the "installer" in visual studio or something, that would be look much more real. Looks like it was just done in paint.

And to TechSpot: more reliable news please. That's what I came here for.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding. But I just installed Windows 7 a couple days ago, onto a drive that came directly out of another system. The drive still had 1 partition (whole disk) with data on it (NTFS filesystem). During the install I was able to delete that partition, create a new one of smaller size, and if I wanted create more. But I just made a smaller one for the Windows install to go to and left the rest unpartitioned because I like setting them up in Disk Management better.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

And to TechSpot: more reliable news please. That's what I came here for.

Got to agree with this to a point. This doesnt look like a "print screen" screenshot. Of course I realize its been edited.. but I still dont think it would look as described in Guest's post here.

Decimae said:

trillionsin said:

And to TechSpot: more reliable news please. That's what I came here for.

It is the JPEG compression that you see, not the photoshop effects. Not having it would be more cause for worry then having it.

Jurassic4096 said:

I can't wait for the public betas!

emmzo said:

Let me get this straight: do we need a lighter, faster Windows or we just need a new Windows?

fpsgamerJR62 said:

I don't understand all this interest in Windows 8 or whatever they call the next version of Windows. I still getting used to Windows 7 after using XP for the better part of a decade. And what's the big deal with a 2012 release ? I certainly wouldn't want to end up paying for a Windows 7 service pack being marketed as Windows 8.

I certainly hope that there will be nice new UI enhancements, as they call it METRO. I also hope MS will make bunch of new productivity features, and tweaks, as they had very brand new ideas in Windows 7 and I hope Windows 8 will be a greater than 7 in terms of productivity features and enhancements. I just hope they don't include Cloud services or such like that, in all versions of Windows. More simple and more customized OS is expected from Microsoft in upcoming Windows 8.

cbarv said:

I think it is absolutely ridiculous the rate at which Microsoft is releasing OS's.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

2 posts in 7.5 years?

I guess your outrage is appropriate.

Isn't Windows 8 supposed to have WinFS? Or is that postponed until the next release again?