Backdoor Trojan for Windows ported to Mac OS

By on February 28, 2011, 9:54 AM
A Remote Access Trojan (RAT) for Windows, known as darkComet, has been ported to Mac OS X. The new backdoor Trojan is not yet finished, but it could be indicative of more underground programmers attempting to take advantage of Apple's growing market share. Here is an excerpt of the default text that the malware displays in the full screen window with the reboot button, courtesy of Sophos:
I am a Trojan Horse, so i have infected your Mac Computer. I know, most people think Macs can't be infected, but look, you ARE Infected! I have full controll over your Computer and i can do everything I want, and you can do nothing to prevent it. So, Im a very new Virus, under Development, so there will be much more functions when im finished.

The author of the Trojan refers to it as the BlackHole RAT, while security experts are calling it OSX/MusMinim-A, or MusMinim for short. "Black Hole" is already used by Irradiated to name a legitimate Mac security application which removes potentially sensitive information such as recently-used file lists, data left in the clipboard, and so on. MusMinim appears to have a mix of German and English in its user interface, as well as these functions:

  • Placing text files on the desktop
  • Sending a restart, shutdown or sleep command
  • Running arbitrary shell commands
  • Placing a full screen window with a message that only allows you to click reboot
  • Sending URLs to the client to open a website
  • Popping up a fake "Administrator Password" window to phish the target

Starting late last year, Sophos has been pushing its free antivirus for Mac. The security company insists the numbers show malware is an increasing issue on the platform.





User Comments: 61

Got something to say? Post a comment
PaulWuzHere PaulWuzHere said:

About time awareness picks up. No OS is 100% secure.

Gars Gars said:

100% secure OS:

[link]

PaulWuzHere PaulWuzHere said:

Gars said:

100% secure OS:

[link]

Lol, very nice

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Haha, awesome! I hate all of the "more secure" arguments. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. No matter what architecture you have, the bits still twiddle the same.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Gars said:

100% secure OS:

[link]

this made me LOL!

I'm glad this has happened to be honest, I can wipe that smug look off all Apple Mac lovers.

Whoaman said:

O my god. I just can't believe this could happen on my so perfect, precious and adorable Mac. This just can't be happening. Denial.... denial. Just as Nostradamus predicted - the end of the world is nigh!

Thankfully Apple is all over this inevitability and have been building in excellent seamless protection at the core level that will not perceptibly slow down the Mac nor constantly irritate the end-user like UAC etc etc. or push them to research or install endless third-party tools to try to combat it. The addition of the App Store is just one of many steps.

Winboys, stand back and watch how the big boys do it!

ramonsterns said:

Whoaman said:

O my god. I just can't believe this could happen on my so perfect, precious and adorable Mac. This just can't be happening. Denial.... denial. Just as Nostradamus predicted - the end of the world is nigh!

Thankfully Apple is all over this inevitability and have been building in excellent seamless protection at the core level that will not perceptibly slow down the Mac nor constantly irritate the end-user like UAC etc etc. or push them to research or install endless third-party tools to try to combat it. The addition of the App Store is just one of many steps.

Winboys, stand back and watch how the big boys do it!

Whoa, man, Whoaman.

Take care not to choke on the fumes while having your head stuck so far up your wind breaker.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Gars said:

100% secure OS:

[link]

No it isn't, someone could run off with it, taking whatever you were working on in the process. Heaven forbid you were smart and left a "If found please contact: " stickers/notes. Journalist portable type writers were even self enclosed in a carrying case... JUST ASKING to be taken.

lol.

princeton princeton said:

Whoaman said:

O my god. I just can't believe this could happen on my so perfect, precious and adorable Mac. This just can't be happening. Denial.... denial. Just as Nostradamus predicted - the end of the world is nigh!

Thankfully Apple is all over this inevitability and have been building in excellent seamless protection at the core level that will not perceptibly slow down the Mac nor constantly irritate the end-user like UAC etc etc. or push them to research or install endless third-party tools to try to combat it. The addition of the App Store is just one of many steps.

Winboys, stand back and watch how the big boys do it!

0/10 troll effort. Make a new account and try again.

Whoaman said:

ramonsterns said:

Whoa, man, Whoaman.

Take care not to choke on the fumes while having your head stuck so far up your wind breaker.

Just doing my best not to disappoint the stereotypical expectations of those here suffering from apple-envy. ~

ramonsterns said:

Whoaman said:

ramonsterns said:

Whoa, man, Whoaman.

Take care not to choke on the fumes while having your head stuck so far up your wind breaker.

Just doing my best not to disappoint the stereotypical expectations of those here suffering from apple-envy. ~

trollantrollantrollan

Actualy, just kidding. I didn't mean to call you a troll. After being on the internet long enough I can believe you *are* this stupid.

Whoaman said:

Princeton said:

0/10 troll effort. Make a new account and try again.

I guess your definition of Troll is "isn't a head-over-heels Windows fanatic" . Otherwise, half these posts might fit the real definition nicely.

Also, I think you should consider picking-up a sense of humor. We would all benefit.

Gars Gars said:

madboyv1 said:

Gars said:

100% secure OS:

[link]

No it isn't, someone could run off with it, taking whatever you were working on in the process. Heaven forbid you were smart and left a "If found please contact: " stickers/notes. Journalist portable type writers were even self enclosed in a carrying case... JUST ASKING to be taken.

lol.

wrong

i dont save my doc's on the desktop or even in the same room

but ninjas are every ware - so, no safe place

the OS works fine and its almost 100% secure, even have scroll

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

This is still something where the User is at fault if they get infected rather than the 'malware' getting through the OS.

ramonsterns said:

Whoaman said:

Princeton said:

0/10 troll effort. Make a new account and try again.

I guess your definition of Troll is "isn't a head-over-heels Windows fanatic" . Otherwise, half these posts might fit the real definition nicely.

Also, I think you should consider picking-up a sense of humor. We would all benefit.

You're right. We all have Apple-Envy.

We all wish we had that much money to throw away too.

Whoaman said:

ramonsterns said:

Actualy, just kidding. I didn't mean to call you a troll. After being on the internet long enough I can believe you *are* this stupid.

Qualify that. Otherwise by definition you WOULD be a troll.

"a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community"

Perhaps for Princeton we should add " and isn't a Microsoft Windows fanboy".

ramonsterns said:

Whoaman said:

"a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community"

Whoaman said:

Perhaps for Princeton we should add " and isn't a Microsoft Windows fanboy".

Oh hey, that sounds just like you too!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

O my god. I just can't believe this could happen on my so perfect, precious and adorable Mac. This just can't be happening. Denial.... denial. Just as Nostradamus predicted - the end of the world is nigh!

Thankfully Apple is all over this inevitability and have been building in excellent seamless protection at the core level that will not perceptibly slow down the Mac nor constantly irritate the end-user like UAC etc etc. or push them to research or install endless third-party tools to try to combat it. The addition of the App Store is just one of many steps.

Winboys, stand back and watch how the big boys do it!

Don't you feel like you're "slumming it", running your yap here with all the Windows users? Do you think you're going to enlighten us" to Apple superiority.?

In any event you opened the door to this line of discussion with this remark, :

Just doing my best not to disappoint the stereotypical expectations of those here suffering from apple-envy. ~
We may be suffering with '"Apple envy", but IMHO, those who actually own Apples are probably suffering from penile envy, and to be precise, that would be Steve Job's penis.

Now, why don't you go run along and bang up your credit card with a Macbook "Air", (in your case a Macbook, "Hot Air" , grab a picture of Mr. Jobs for wallpaper, then do what "comes" naturally with it.

Whoaman said:

ramonsterns said:

You're right. We all have Apple-Envy.

We all wish we had that much money to throw away too.

Ahh but even some rudimentary math will show you this is not true. It's called Mac resale value. And this is really only one of many factors for TCO and ROI. Support is another. And there are many more.

Stupid would be to think that cost is only what you pay at the till.

ramonsterns said:

Whoaman said:

ramonsterns said:

You're right. We all have Apple-Envy.

We all wish we had that much money to throw away too.

Ahh but even some rudimentary math will show you this is not true. It's called Mac resale value. And this is really only one of many factors for TCO and ROI. Support is another. And there are many more.

Stupid would be to think that cost is only what you pay at the till.

I do get support.

For free.

Right here on this website.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

An' we don't bees knowin' nuffin' bout no Lemons, er I mean Apples. So, it's back to China fer U 'n yer Apple.

Anyway, I think an Apple trojan is a wonderful affirmation of Apple becoming viable in the marketplace. Unfortunately, it's also a big let down for those who confuse the lack of malware for product superiority. But then again, "see the crooks do care after all, and they're coming for your personal information. They want to get to know you better. You interests are their interests. Heart warming, isn't it?

Actually, most of the cranks that think they know it all about Apple are over in the "Adobe Photoshop Forums. The know absolutely nothing about computers, but everything about Apple. Does anybody else see the paradox there?

Whoaman said:

captaincranky said:

Don't you feel like you're "slumming it", running your yap here with all the Windows users? Do you think you're going to enlighten us" to Apple superiority.?

Naturally any generic pc tech rag will have a predominance of Windows users by ratio. I don't think that means all others should not take part and I don't think I need explain why.

Secondly, if one is going to dish it out then they'd better also learn to take it. Many of you take something as insignificant as a computer or OS far too seriously and attach your identities to it as if it is a limb on your body.

And apparently many of you do need en-lightening. Whether you can get blood from a stone is another matter.

Finally, I am platform agnostic to a large extent but enjoy debating and debunking the myths so many cling to concerning the different platforms.

We all owe a lot to Steve Jobs regardless of what Computer\OS\Phone\Tablet we choose as he is a major force behind getting everyone in the industry to "pull up their socks" and improve and innovate.

Regardless, Steve is just a human being like you or me with a family and friends etc. His health is obviously quite fragile at the moment and I wish him and all others in his situation the best.

Whoaman said:

captaincranky said:

An' we don't bees knowin' nuffin' bout no Lemons, er I mean Apples. So, it's back to China fer U 'n yer Apple.

lol

dem'thar China seems to gru all'dem dang 'puters now 'cept for da'brain. Kinda figures.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Finally, I am platform agnostic to a large extent but enjoy debating and debunking the myths so many cling to concerning the different platforms.

There are an equal number of myths to be "debunked" on the Apple side on the discussion also.

As far as being "platform agnostic", (which I consider admirable BTW), there are many young people and hard core gamers here that really could not, (and will not), embrace Apple for that very reason.

Which of course, could lead to a lengthy discussion as to whether we're talking about using a computer for "computery" purposes, or rather as a game console.

My point is this, I use my computers mostly for imaging. Windows machines are as good as a Mac for this purpose. However, I am really tired of listening to great tales of Apple superiority in this capacity, from a bunch of snobs that think they're artists. As I said before, they know all about how great a Mac is, but they have no basis in computer knowledge to make that claim.

Most of the malware these ******* pick up, is due to either their own stupidity, or in some combination with a crap a** 6 year old copy of Macafee or Norton installed on the machine.

The fact that 3rd party apps are necessary for malware prevention in Windows machines is, (IMHO) not a drawback. Windows is an open platform, so most apps are 3rd party apps anyway. So, why should security software be any different?

I always pose this question, "how is it that I surf porn all day, my computer has no problems, and scans perfectly clean, but you can't go to Facebook without contracting a fatal infection"?

(That's obviously one Windows user to another).

As far as the lower cost after the sale with Apple you're purporting, I offer this from our forums; http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic157368.html

The moral of this story is; if you deal with Apple directly for service, you're going to get screwed all over again after the sale.

Whoaman said:

captaincranky said:

As far as the lower cost after the sale with Apple you're purporting, I offer this from our forums; http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic157368.html

That's a SIX year old machine. Any repair of an out of warranty machine from any vendor will be expensive - especially a 6 year old one. That is if you could even find it supported at all considering most PC vendors blast out new models like changing toilet paper rolls. It's a testament to the lasting attraction of the well-designed mac hardware that users are satisfied with their performance years beyond winPCs - this is also one of the reasons they fetch a premium at resale.

In this particular forum entry, in the end he found what he needed at a more reasonable price without much trouble. And since Mac moved to the Intel cpu years ago it has become even easier to find cheap parts for Mac than trying to dig up any custom parts for the 10,000,000 differently designed mostly one-off PC machines.

Mac are continually year after year rated best support in the industry (see Consumer Reports). That means better than the rest though definitely far from perfect.

ramonsterns said:

Whoaman said:

Mac are continually year after year rated best support in the industry (see Consumer Reports). That means better than the rest though definitely far from perfect.

Because custom built computers will have customer reports, right?

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Whoaman said:

Also, I think you should consider picking-up a sense of humor. We would all benefit.

Your thesis operates under the mistaken assumption that your posts are funny.

ramonsterns said:

gwailo247 said:

Whoaman said:

Also, I think you should consider picking-up a sense of humor. We would all benefit.

Your thesis operates under the mistaken assumption that your posts are funny.

Wait, the definition of funny doesn't include laughing *at* someone for their actions?

I thought he was hilarious, thank you for educating me otherwise.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

In this particular forum entry, in the end he found what he needed at a more reasonable price without much trouble. And since Mac moved to the Intel cpu years ago it has become even easier to find cheap parts for Mac than trying to dig up any custom parts for the 10,000,000 differently designed mostly one-off PC machines.

Well, that's the beauty of universal plug and play. "10,000,000" Windows machines can all be repaired with few dozen standard pars. Now try buying parts for a Macbook "Air" at Newegg. Whoops, and away it goes, back to China.

Coincidentally, Apple's sales skyrocketed when they embraced Intel CPUs, and began dual booting with Windows. Of course, Apple takes all the credit. Small matter that they've turned the Mac into a PC ripoff.

Mac are continually year after year rated best support in the industry (see Consumer Reports). That means better than the rest though definitely far from perfect.
Well of course they are. That's because the people that buy them can't fix them themselves. Keep in mind that a lot of s*** has to break before you can become #1 in service.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Hey c'mon cap, who wouldn't like to shell out a 300+% markup for genuine Mac compatible graphics.

Nothing screams "Made It"! like throwing money around like a early-1920's Bavarian

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Whoaman said:

ramonsterns said:

Whoa, man, Whoaman.

Take care not to choke on the fumes while having your head stuck so far up your wind breaker.

Just doing my best not to disappoint the stereotypical expectations of those here suffering from apple-envy. ~

Wait, remind me again why I have Apple envy? I can't remember. I forgot to take my shimmering magicalness pill this morning.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Wait, remind me again why I have Apple envy? I can't remember. I forgot to take my shimmering magicalness pill this morning.

Not only that, but you didn't save enough to get me high.

Chazz said:

You guys aren't giving Apple credit where it's due. Name ONE other manufacturer that has successfully found AND extracted Unicorn horns and pixie dust to give us such magical game changing systems. Considering their materials, their price is a bargin!

Whoaman said:

You guys are a bunch of silly banana heads!

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Whoaman said:

You guys are a bunch of silly banana heads!

Then you're in good company! Hooray!

CamaroMullet said:

I'm in my mid 30's, been building PC's for about 15 years. I've always had multiple pcs, my primary ( the kids don't touch!! ) and 1 or 2 more for htpc and the kids. Every 5 to 6 months I have to do a good reformatting on the kids pc, they don't know **** about computers and download/install all weird kinds of crap.

Last year I got a REALLY good deal on a newish intel macbook pro. It's the new "kid" computer and I have to admit I haven't had nearly the amount of garbage/issues as I've had with my pcs. My point is, for none to low level tech knowledge, non-gamer types Apple's are perfect for them. If you can build or trouble shoot pc issues or a gamer, sticking with a pc IMO is the only option.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

You guys are a bunch of silly banana heads!
Nuh-uh! Now here's a silly "banana head"; http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic161805.html I wonder if he met "her" with a Mac?

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

You guys are a bunch of silly banana heads!

Pot.Kettle.Black.

[link]

DokkRokken said:

"Placing a full screen window with a message that only allows you to click reboot"

lol!

This is a pretty rotten deal for Apple users. I hope it wakes them up to the reality that their supposedly 'secure' machine isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Macara said:

As a long time Mac and PC user (have owned 5 Macs from 68k thru PowerPC to Intel) I can honestly say that when it comes down to it this day in age with the Intel switch you're mostly paying a premium for that shiny apple logo'd case.

Chipset to chipset it's the same PC hardware you'll find in midrange systems, take into consideration that the only actually apple branded 6 components on a MacBook are: webcam, trackpad, keyboard, AC-adapter, battery and casing. I give apple credit where credit due but I feel it's a bit of a stretch to call the hardware superior or to argue that theres some sort of value to buying a Mac over a PC, the markup for the hardware you get is not exactly justifiable by value at all, in my case it comes down to a trackpad that I like for design on the go, if not for that I would spend the same cost on a higher end PC, and in fact thats the way I will likely go next upgrade.

As far as the OS goes, if you're moderately savvy you can mostly get what you want done on any OS be it OS X, Windows or Linux with varying degrees of compromise, Windows I would agree is the least compromising when it comes to running what you want to run. The "Mac's are better for design" argument doesn't hold water either when anyone into serious design will be using Adobe products which are available on Windows and OS X.

I tend to side more with the PC crowd when it comes to debate due to the Mac side tending to be less logical and more hype based, quick to insult the opposing side.

Use what you like, it's all personal preference, use whatever OS and hardware appeals to you is what I say.

krayzie said:

hey guys i have a crapbook air and id like to put more ram in it.. oh wait i cant...

hey guys i have a crapbook air and id like to replace the battery... oh wait i cant i have to send it away

hey guys i have a crapbook air and id like to <insert piece of hardware you want to replace here> ..... oh wait i cant...

Whoaman said:

The fact so many of you feel the need to make so many half-baked remarks just reinforces the Apple-envy theory.

Even funnier, no pc manufacturer can even come up with anything as good as the crapbook air for the same price or less. Bye bye Adamo.

If you know computers well than any platform will work - but don't think your really saving much money. If you are the typical consumer then Mac is king and deservedly so unless you like pain.

And BTW, professional audio on the Windows is a PITA. Maybe one day Microsoft will actually fix MMCSS but don't hold your breathe.

Meanwhile I'm going to go salvage in the dump for all those 3 year old pcs that no one could get a penny for. ~

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

The fact so many of you feel the need to make so many half-baked remarks just reinforces the Apple-envy theory.
The fact that you feel the need to propagate and perpetuate this discussion makes me think you're simply run of the mill troll. And that, I assure you, is nothing to be envious of, no matter what platform you own, or which platform you're talking out your a** about.

The only thing you've actually convinced me of, is how inarticulate, plodding, brainwashed and dogmatic the average member of the "Apple Corp" really is.

It's sad actually, you really do think you're funny. And someday, if mindless repetition becomes a standard for humor, you will be.

Macara said:

Whoaman said:

The fact so many of you feel the need to make so many half-baked remarks just reinforces the Apple-envy theory.

The fact that you keep trolling the comments as a self proclaimed superior mac user just makes the competent mac users look bad, you're either an obvious troll or suffering from a psychosis brought on through insecurity and inadequacy in your personal life, much like the other bleeding heart Apple fanboys. I feel soiled being in the same userbase as you people at times and it leads me to want to discontinue using Apple products entirely for not wanting to be thrown into the fold with the cult-like fanboys.

It's a computer, it's a tool and it's not even comparing apples to oranges anymore since the Intel switch.

Start an argument then act as if you're on the higher ground, trolling, immaturity or somewhere between I suppose.

DokkRokken said:

I don't think people here are terribly envious of the people who bought Mac's under the pretense that Apple's PC's do not get viruses. Whether or not Apple is superior for A/V or ergonomics is not the issue; the issue is that a considerable number of Apple users bought their PC's with the aim of never having to deal with a problem, and this throws them a huge curveball.

Apple is going to have a harder time with the 'it just works' mantra as occurrences like this continue to increase in frequency.

krayzie said:

to be quite honest, i think everyone is sick of all the wanna be trendy people who use apple as a fashion accessory just like steve jobs has marketed as..

apple has not done anything new, they just have been smart at how they do it..

R3DP3NGUIN R3DP3NGUIN said:

I think Mac is a complete waste of time and money. why pay thousands when you can get ubuntu for free on any computer, even better you can get the Mac OSX theme for ubuntu if your that keen.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If you are the typical consumer then Mac is king and deservedly so unless you like pain.

After reading these comments, I've considered dozens of PCs I've 'advised' about purchasing/upgrading to my friends/ family over the last year, and out of all these systems only one came up with any sort of issue, if one can call it, and at the end of the day it was issue with a crappy old ACER LCD. Furthermore, from my years while I was still working in IT, 'reported issues' %age on year to year basis never exceeded 1-1.5% range for me, which is beyond acceptable and that include any Virus/Malware issues. So either you don't get out of your 'Apple World' frequently enough or ......

CC: Don't you think 'Apple Bug' causes serious delusional tendencies in its 'carriers' ?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

CC: Don't you think 'Apple Bug' causes serious delusional tendencies in its 'carriers' ?

I was at a "CompUSA in Delaware, speaking to one of the floor salesmen. CompUSA sold Apple product, and pandered to the Apple fan base, with meetings, seminars, and such.

The gentleman told me they mostly presented themselves as inaccessible, know nothing, snobs. I have no basis on which to dispute the veracity of that assessment.

Apple computers really weren't a force in the market until they installed Intel CPUs, and allowed Windows dual booting. In effect, they've become a PC, yet we still have to listen to itinerant ****** spout Apple superiority / mythology / dogma..

The Apple OS, at least to me, looks like it was designed by Fischer-Price. The novelty of the "follow the bouncing ball" icons wears off in a big hurry. Then you have the privacy invasion / DRM onslaught of "iTunes". Who needs that crap? Then there was the entire false "I'm a PC" advertising campaign. If I were in M$'s legal department, I'd have been suing almost daily over that garbage.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.