Battlefield 3 gameplay trailer rolls out, looks impressive

By on March 2, 2011, 8:45 AM
Following last week's short teaser trailer of Battlefield 3, Electronic Arts and DICE have released a brand-new gameplay trailer and screenshots for its highly anticipated shooter. The game is being developed with the new Frostbite 2.0 engine and is focused foremost on the PC platform to showcase what current hardware is capable of -- and according to early impressions it was quite a demonstration of character animation, destructible environments and superb lighting.

The footage was shown at the Game Developer’s Conference and corresponds to a pre-alpha version of the game's single-player campaign, which means there's still room for improvement. It chronicles the U.S. Marines' journey through a ‘bad part of town’ in 2014, attempting to restore stability to the region surrounding the Iraqi and Iranian border.

Attendees weren't allowed to play the actual game and despite all the praise surrounding its visual and audio quality, there are still some that are not completely convinced when it comes to enemy AI. But it's still early to judge considering the game won't be out until sometime during Q3 for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

The game is said to feature co-op gameplay, four classes, more unlockables than Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and 64-player multiplayer on PC -- console editions support only up to 24. In addition, those who pre-order the game will automatically be upgraded to the Limited Edition version at no extra cost, and will receive the "digital expansion pack" Back to Karkland, which features re-imaginings of four classic Battlefield 2 multiplayer maps.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Well.. that's definitely graphically impressive..

xempler said:

Ugh. Great now my pants are wet.

ess333 said:

pure awesomeness ... i will plant a big wet kiss on DICE

Cueto_99 said:

Just plain simple WOW!!

pcnthuziast said:

Looks awesome, but I hope Frostbite 2 is better optimized than 1. I think my current system should be ready though with 2600K & GTX 470.

TeamworkGuy2 said:

I was not that excited two months back when I heard rumors about this, but I admit I am getting excited.

Hope PC requirements are not to outrageous.

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

The Frostbite 2's lighting effects are just plainly amazing!

j05hh j05hh said:

damn that looks sick!

hassaan said:

Indeed!! It really does look impressive!! *Added to wishlist*

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

KARKLAND BABY! And who was complaining that DICE stopped working on expansions?

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

That was beautiful. Thank you DICE. You have earned my money.

Cota Cota said:

Now all i need is a sticker on my car that says I <3 DICE

timlovehead said:

Hope the campaign co-op isn't just a (rooster) tease, just like the other stupid games such as COD.

Chazz said:

Why would you do this to me DICE?! I was gonna buy this regardless, now I'll be counting down the days! If you delay this, it's war.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Holy shit. You know, if only companies put their heart into their creations like DICE... but I can only dream.

The lighting. Did you see those lighting effects? That was just gorgeous.

I'm sold.

princeton princeton said:

Wow. I had more fun moving my mouse around pretending to play it then I had playing any CoD game. That's an accomplishment, or I'm just an *****. Probably both :P

Schadenfreude said:

Is it just me or everyone feels that the animation and graphics are better than crysis 2.

RaiDeR55 said:

When is this movie coming out ??? Oh that's right its game.. Awesome lighting ,this is how to do it.. With DX 11,Not some Dx9 graphic engine.. The ambenient sounds and how the fire fights sound's in the city,with the echoing effect.Almost triggers flashbacks from when in real fire fights..Just missing the smells..

Pre-ordering for sure now.!

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

A bit jaw-dropping to say the least, I'm not big on pre-ordering but BF3 is definitely on that list now. Seeing WASD pop-up was just awesome and put a big smile on my face .

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Wow, this just looks amazing!

I'm actually kind of regretting preordering Crysis 2 about 6 months ago, the latest news on that game does not leave me impressed!

This tho, no CGI animation at all, in the opening seconds I actually thought it was a real movie, i.e. filmed real life, and then I went "oh"

Thank you Dice, thank you!

EDIT; Just read this on Wikipedia, I'm literally laughing out loud now vs the news that Crysis 2 will be released with only DirectX 9 support at the beginning:

"The next generation of Frostbite will debut with Battlefield 3. It will take full advantage of the DirectX 11 API and 64-bit processors, with no support for DirectX 9 (nor, therefore, Windows XP). It will also feature enhanced in-game destruction with Destruction 3.0, creating more refined physics than its predecessor."

princeton princeton said:

schadenfreude said:

They are better than crysis 2,

Mostly because Crysis 2 is inferior to the first game on a graphical level. Oh hey let's put the same models and textures on all 3 graphical settings. I'm sure PC gamers will be content with our bloom rape and godrays on the higher settings.

jeffz6 said:

Crysis 2 was drooled over when we first saw the trailers, now you all bash it. Battlefield 3 looks impressive, but lets wait until the release date.

princeton princeton said:

jeffz6 said:

People drooled over the trailers because they don't understand the concept of a pre rendered video.

freythman freythman said:

Looks pretty sweet!

IAMTHESTIG said:

graphically... looks beautiful. Still incorrect weapon reloading animations, and that didn't sound like an M4. I'm still hoping for LAN mode too, some of us still have LAN parties you know. 10-12 people every 4 months for me, and we have been playing BF2 since the beginning.

I have high hopes for this game.

Squatz101 said:

ATTENTION!!!

Copy/Paste this link if you want to see a really awesome trailer (its Skyrim). Its so much better than the first one and I literally had it on repeat XD

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjqsYzBrP-M

chaboi390 said:

The lighting in this game is just extraordinary!!!

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

jeffz6 said:

Their was also a lot of criticism and concern since the game was going multiplatform. And from the looks of it some of those concerns were valid ones. BF3 has a few too, but since the PC is the lead platform gamers seem to be more optimistic at least for now.

IAMTHESTIG said:

I have high hopes for this game.

Me too, I really hope BF3 is the FPS us PC shooters have been waiting for. I am concerned though about LAN, especially since so many games now lack it with either no dedicated servers or faux ones letting only big named hosting providers access to server files. But given that this is being primarily made for the PC I hope EA reconsiders.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

ATTENTION!!!

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjqsYzBrP-M

TS already posted that last week, it's even linked in this article. But I do agree, it looks awesome .

gingerbill said:

obviously it looks great but what will it run like in a 64 player multiplayer . I'm wagering you wont be playing with graphics like that on MP till a long time after release . A game released were no PC can actually play it as advertised in this clip . Hopefully i'm wrong but i wont get excited about awesome graphics till i see it running with lots of players on screen on a home PC.

Watch their feet when they stop running. (1:32)

CoD, you stop running, and you stop wherever you were.

BF3, you stop running, you lean against the direction you were running and slide an inch or two. Thank you Frost 2.

I know it's never going to happen (ever), but I kinda what Dice to make a sequel for 2142 now, just so we can experience it with the physics in Frost 2...

captainawesome captainawesome said:

Now that's what you get when you stop messing around with consoles and focus on real hardware.

whiteandnerdy said:

I'm not big on preordering so I'm gonna wait until it comes out, but it looks very promising.