Videos: inside and outside Google's self-driving car

By on March 4, 2011, 9:53 AM
Five months ago, Google announced it had developed technology for cars that can drive themselves. Now, the company has decided it is ready to show off at least some of the fruits of its labor.

At this year's TED conference in Long Beach, California, attendees are getting a full-on demo of the technology. Search Engine Land has the full story.

Here's a video from the inside:

Here's a video from the outside:

As you can see, the demos are on a close course. The cars can reportedly drive sans drivers on regular streets, with a route computed by GPS. The search giant has previously said the system has driven automatically from San Francisco to Los Angeles with great success.

ansh1993 said:

WOW ! this will be the future of automobiles .

Thats pretty awesome, can't wait for this technology to be implemented into our cars. Would increase road safety and travel-time efficiency.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If people were interested in total 'automation' ...... then they would not hesitate to board a 'pilot less' plane, so, I don't see it going too far for now. May be it has some appeal with people who don't really like or enjoy driving though. Lastly, what will happen if the software crashes, will it cause the car to crash into 'nearest obstacle' ?

Raswan Raswan said:

Pretty neat. Well done, Google.

P.S. Shouldn't it be "closed course" not "close course"?

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I was expecting a 5 mph crawl through the parking lot with some driving over the cones for proof that it was not human. But that car was practically racing through the cones! Impressive.

BrianUMR said:

Yes this was a pretty crazy video. I was thinking the same thing with really slow driving. Than the car took off and was laying down rubber in the corners. I don't think I am ready to let my car drive its like that.

This old dinosaur thinks this is a rotten idea. What if I collided into this thing? This really limits the opportunity to engage in some healthy heart-pumping road rage. I'll stick with my Jaguar, thank you very much!