Video: upgrading from Windows 1.0 to Windows 7

By on March 4, 2011, 12:35 PM
YouTube user Andrew Tait has uploaded a video titled "Chain of Fools : Upgrading through every version of windows (HQ)" (via Slashdot). In it, he takes a computer running Windows 1.0 on top of MS DOS 5.0 and upgrades it all the way to Windows 7.

Tait said the whole procedure took him three days, though he estimates that only 12 hours was spent doing the actual installing and the rest of the time was spent trying to obtain valid copies of Windows. He even managed to get the DOS versions of Doom 2 and Monkey Island to run on Windows 7 when he was done. In the 10-minute video, Tait points out changes to system settings and application compatibility as he upgrades each version:

"My parents have had a PC since I was about 5, so I have many nostalgic memories about early versions of MS-DOS and Windows," Tait said in a statement. "This is probably why I chose this project, as it gave me a chance to relive some of those memories, and finally gave me something to do with my cupboard full of old computer software."

It's rather impressive that the upgrading was so successful. I've personally always made a point to do a clean installation when I get a new version of Windows. Have you ever upgraded Windows, and if so, what was your experience?

Punkid said:

i dont bother upgrading, theres something about that which just doesnt feel right...if ur going to reinstall the OS, better do a clean install :P....and props to the guy for putting effort into this, was quite informative

Agreed. I have found that upgrading from Vista to 7 results in no speed/performance improvements. However, if I wipe the same system and do a clean install of 7, everything runs much more quickly.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Interesting video, wonder if its possible to do on 1 set of hardware rather than through a VM.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Awe, Windows 3.1, welcome back old friend. Had that baby running on a 486 DX2 66. Now that booted up fast.

LightHeart said:

Ah, it brings back the memories and was quite interesting. I started off with MS-DOS 3.2 and did a few DOS upgrades up to 6.22 (if my memory is correct). On Windows I went from 1.0 to 7, such fun times...

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I did a 95 to 98 to 98se to ME sequence, at least I think I did... Probably didn't because at some point along the way you'd expect continual BSODs But at least I ran all 4 of those on one computer over the years.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Windows 2000 set up an account for previous Win98 user.

twatface

administrator

LMAO

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

Anybody noticed that Windows 2.0 actually allowed *more* colour-customization than Windows 7?

Your amazing not only for your skill In putting this together but, for not snapping and killing anyone In the process.

I started out with win 3.1 and except for ME and Vista I'm still pounding away with windows..

Great job.

T77 T77 said:

Nice video,quite insightful. My first windows was 95 or 98,i dont exactly remember since they looked the same to me!