iPod touch users report graphical glitches after iOS 4.3 update

By on March 18, 2011, 10:01 AM
Over on Apple Discussions, iPod touch owners are reporting graphical glitches after updating their devices to iOS 4.3, which was released earlier this month. After updating, screens on affected devices seem to flicker and distort, particularly on the lock screen and with the arrival of a push notification.

The issue appears to mainly affect fourth-generation iPod touch devices. Users are reporting different variations of the problem, but they all come down to random distortion with what is being displayed on the screen. Some have uploaded video examples of the problem on YouTube:

During the iOS 4.3 testing phase, none of the three beta releases had this problem; it appears to only be present in the final ''Golden Master'' build. Users experiencing the problem have urged others to report it via the iPod touch feedback page.

Apple has yet to publicly acknowledge the issue. In the meantime, resets and factory restores don't appear to do anything, so users are waiting for a patch from Cupertino. If you have an iPod touch and have upgraded to iOS 4.3, are you affected?

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

bummer for apple....

on the other hand... still no updates for my captivate.. so.. you go Apple! LOL

i thought it was only me , but i can see theres few other people with the same glitch, all started with the 4.3 update, but is not a persistent glitch, just some times , maybe when is locked or sleeping

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

trillionsin said:

bummer for apple....

on the other hand... still no updates for my captivate.. so.. you go Apple! LOL

The Captivate can be upgraded to Froyo. AT&T released the update a few weeks ago. It has to be manually, not over the air.

Cota Cota said:

Well at least is a software fail and not a hardware one like the antenna and the defective screens.

I have definitly noticed it on my 4g ipod touch. So far it has just been anoying - no other crashing or symptoms yet. It does look pretty crappy though, and you get the impression that your screen is failing (although it is probably just the graphics being display that are off).

miska_man said:

Shiny and fancy Apple OS has a glitch? THE WORLD WILL END.

My iPod touch 4g has been doing the same thing but good to know that it a glitch and not my iPod breaking

I've had some of these graphical issues. They aren't a serious problem for me, just a very minor visual annoyance. I don't mind waiting for a patch.

It is the most annoying thing ever. I hope Apple fixes this soon!

TrekExpert TrekExpert said:

Every time I open my lock screen the spaces where the numbers go are distorted until I start typing. I thought it was only me at first but the problem seems to be wide spread. It is not a serious issue, but it is annoying nonetheless.