GeoHot joins Anonymous' boycott of Sony, asks you to come along

By on April 11, 2011, 2:02 PM
PlayStation 3 jailbreaker George Hotz, also known as GeoHot, made a joint announcement with Sony today, saying the two parties have settled the lawsuit SCEA against Hotz. In the announcement, GeoHot made a brief statement saying that he never wanted to cause any users trouble or to make piracy easier, and that he was happy to have the litigation behind him. On his blog, GeoHot got sued, however, he let his true thoughts on Sony out.

"As of 4/11/11, I am joining the Sony boycott," GeoHot said in a statement. "I will never purchase another Sony product. I encourage you to do the same. And if you bought something Sony recently, return it. Why would you not boycott a company who feels this way about you? There is much more to come on this blog."

The words "this way" are a link to a rant by George Ouzounian, also known as Maddox, titled "I'm tired of Sony's bullshit" on his satirical website The Best Page in the Universe. It appears that when it comes to Sony, GeoHot believes Maddox says it best.

Last week, the hacker group Anonymous launched Operation Sony, which included a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack against its various online properties. In the settlement today, it was explicitly stated that GeoHot had nothing to do with the attacks on Sony's internet services and websites. Nevertheless, GeoHot is apparently very interested in the offline plan Anonymous has for Sony.

Most Anonymous are online-only attacks, but Operation Sony also features a protest on April 16, 2011 where gamers from all around the world gather at their local Sony stores to complain in person. The lawsuit may be over, but as GeoHot puts it beating them in court is just a start" (though as we already said, he didn't win, he settled).

Protesting the lawsuit won't achieve much, since it is pretty much over, but many still want Sony to allow its customers to do anything they want with the products they buy from the company. Will you be protesting this weekend?

ikesmasher said:

good luck man. thats all i got to say.

mosu said:

Like I've said before, I'll never ever buy Sony.

Does 'eta' belong as a prefix or as a suffix when mentioning Sony's utterly filthy attitude towards its customers (eta-Sony or Sony-eta)?

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

I wonder if GeoHot can "indirectly" lead "anonymous" and help them attack Sony more efficiently, or... if this is the end and we wont see another article out of this again...

Lurker101 said:

Anonymous will give up in about two weeks and GeoHot is completely done. He's only waving the Anonymous banner in a thinly veiled attempt to save face.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Like I've said before, I'll never ever buy Sony.
Well, that's a bold statement, and terribly altruistic, but a bit impractical. In fact, as a multinational electronics and entertainment media conglomerate, patronizing Sony is really to difficult to avoid.

I like to hear myself talk as much as the next person, but the reality is that Sony is pervasive industry wide.

So, (as a realist), if I want a CD and it happens to be distributed by Sony, I'm not going to turn it away. Same thing with movies.

As to hardware, I bought a Sony upscaling DVD player, (refurbished, 29 bucks), from Walmart on line. The market is flooded with Sony's computer DVD (SATA drives). So, there goes another 20 bucks of to Japan from time to time. High end hardware, not a chance though. My TVs computers, loudspeakers, and home entertainment equipment are all from somebody else.

So, considering the amount I spend from other brands, to what I spend with Sony, I'd say I've been effectively boycotting them for years.

Also, I don't have the video games jones that most here at this site do. That said, Sony has done enough underhanded things corporate wide, to elicit a boycott long before this episode.

If Geohot had thought this issue through beforehand, he might have bought an X-Box.

If you take the time to think about it, most of these cracks are done to impress one's peers, and then sucked up by leeches. Then, when the s*** hits the fan, all the rats jump ship, and it leaves the originator wondering where are all his "friends" have gone.

Apparently, an understanding of the inner workings of a computer, doesn't carry over into the understanding of human nature.

It does give one pause to wonder how a person could be "anonymous" and "Geohot" simultaneously......?

Sony Is Bad Anyway Choose Xbox

yRaz yRaz said:

Sony Is Bad Anyway Choose Xbox

Learn something, build a computer. At least the computer YOU build is YOURS to do what YOU want to with. I know sony is locked down hard, don't know much about xBox security. I won't buy either of them anyway.

As far as a sony product, only one I ever owned was PSP I got for Christmas. I later sold it to get guitar hero 3 for PC.

Boohoo, you tried hacking Sony and they sued your ****. Honestly what do you expect to happen? Get a warning that you wont listen to anyways? It's sad that people get so utterly bent out of shape when a company tries to protect itself. Next time don't go about bragging that you cracked Sony's source code and maybe you wont get sued. GeoHot, you get absolutely zero sympathy and zero respect from me.

I never buy sony anyway, especially when companies like Samsung produce far superior products at much better prices.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Of course a guest said that... hah!

BMfan BMfan said:

Geo is just a sad little man that can't believe he had to settle(even after taking people's money).

Sony has done nothing wrong for me and a few million others,i/we bought the console to play games and it works fine for it's purpose,the only trouble i have had with it was when Sony rushed a new update to fix Geo's firmware.

So my only trouble and a few others were because of hackers,i wonder what other market suffers because of hackers?

Soon we'll be reading about GeoHot temporarily ceasing his boycott to play Just Cause 3.

zillion said:

Cpt.Cranky I applaud u for saying the words i think of and at the same time spell it out in a worthy fashion, of which my current english is not even remotly close to.

Agree with all he said!

Boycott sony? Hmm on the long list of things I am not going to do this year. If you damn console heads stopped buying consoles we could avoid all this crap. PCs forever!

BMfan BMfan said:

I agree because no one hacks PC software.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Yeah - I think CC pretty much hit it. I can be mad at my wife, I mean Sony all day long, but I'm not really gonna do anything about it. I'll be back the next time they release something I want to see or buy. I'll probably get a PSP2 and hope GeoHotz's best friend wants to share some anonymous code for it.

PCs are not proprietary pieces of hardware and I have hacked everything in my PC from adding capacitors or soldering my 7900 so it looks like a quadro and I don't hear anyone knocking down my door. I even published this info so others could do it.

Consoles are bad Mmmmkay

ikesmasher said:

i wonder if half these people even know who geohotz is, as a huge name in iphone jailbreaking.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Super! But still, as an adult, he still needs to learn where to step. I mean really, some times there's dog s***, and sometimes there's quicksand. Oh, and you also need to learn not to listen to your friends when they say, "I dare you"!

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

I'll never buy another Sony. After the PS3 came out, I received one as birthday present. The controller was defective so I called Sony a week after it was released, but they wouldn't replace it without the receipt. Which I didn't have. I'm pretty sure the warranty was at least a week long, so they should have been cool about it. F' them.

mrtraver said:

zI almost wish that I bought Sony products just so I could boycott them now! But I have never bought a Sony product. In college one friend had a sony carousel CD player where the display stopped working after just a few months. Another had a car stereo that was repaired repeatedly and never did work right. And don't get me started on their arrogance with overpriced proprietary media formats.

So thats good news for sony. That means fewer people trying to break its securities thus less stolen games and cheating. So a win for the consumers! yay! :)

BMfan BMfan said:

What amazes me now is how everyone has had problems with Sony's stuff,yet i've had a car cd\radio that worked fine for the 2 yrs i owned it,the home amp i have has worked fine for the last 4yrs(it's used every day for my PC and PS3) and the only problem i've had with my PS3 was because of a hacker.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Not true, at least not for me. I have a Sony 50 CD carousel changer in my audio system. It still sounds good, and never misses a beat after almost 14 years. So, the stuff wears like iron, at least in the few pieces I've acquired. Sony is always a top choice for equipment at the pro level.

Their free standing DVD player menus and display controls are, (IMO), poorly executed. I do avoid Sony to the extent that the stuff is pricey, then there's the whole rootkit in the CD issue. That never affected me personally, but I took great exception to it anyway. I avoid Sony if it's possible or practical The trouble with moving forward with a consumer boycott mentality is this; if you boycott every corporation that has ethical issues, you'll be making your own stone axes and cutting reed flutes for your music.

Tanstar said:

Oh no. The guy who doesn't even register and post under a handle is giving him zero respect. The agony.

I've never bought Sony but that has little to do with their attitude, and more to do with their products being overpriced. Still, it's another reason to look at every other brand first.

Post anonymously if ur gonna say stuff like that.

PinothyJ said:

People are so quick to forget that when the PS3 came out thy were losing $100 USD on every console they sold just to make sure that the consumer could enjoy the product they had created.

Sony made one hell of a bad call that they coldn't go back on even if they tried, and I wouldn't be surprised if that stupid, stupid decision was made by a bunch of white collars who really don't quite understand what the hell went on (in the grand scheme of things). With that being said I support Anon and I hope they go through with all of their plans because Sony needs to learn on hell of a lesson for their actions on this one.

Hmmmm...

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

Lurker101 said:

Possibly. However, he simply might be pissed off by Sony's "Big-Brother-ness" for all we know. As for Anonymous, they are quite persistent. Two weeks seems fair though - but I'll give them 8 days tops. From what we've seen regarding GeoHot, the only organization more persistent than Anonymous, begins with a capital S.

sony can suck it!....ive nva liked them....nva will!!!!!....GAME OVA SONY!

Haha you petty little tool. Go have fun with your little boycott, I'm going to enjoy an amazing line up of games on my PS3.

Im going to buy a SONY VAIO with Blu Ray drive and 3D... you all should do the same

hitech0101 said:

Ditched sony for samsung long time ago.

Saintnsinner said:

I had both a PS3 and an Xbox 360. Months would go by and nothing that was worth a damn as a sony exclusive came out. I think God Of War III was the last sony exclusive I bought that was worth a damb. I finally sold the unit to a guy at work because it was just collecting dust. Yeah I'm going to have to say Xbox has one the 7th generation console showdown. As for other sony products their over priced because of the name recognition. The last TV I bought I went with the store brand because it was even cheaper then sony with a five year warranty.

Geohot is a punk! I lost my respect after his boycott announcement. He should of been grateful that Sony drop the lawsuit against him. Knowing that he has an attitude like that, Sony should of continued their lawsuit. I mean sure Sony made some bad judgement calls like suing Lik Sang and putting them out of business but they've done more good then bad. I've bought their products since 7 years ago, I was once Anti-Sony as I always wanted to give the underdog a chance but after buying their products, I've been 100% satisfied with every product I bought from them since then and thats NOT going to change anytime soon.

Is Geohot saying we shouldn't buy any more Blu-ray movies!!! HAHAHA F*** that S***!!!

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

I'm getting sick of GeoHot and Sony....

and I also think it is funny how almost everyone is posting as guests! lol They're commin to get ya!!!

I unloaded my PS3 and all Sony produucts on eBay when Sony stabbed their customers in the back talking away the OtherOS advertised selling point feature to buy their PS3.

I been an Xbox'er ever since and will never go back to Sony again after the betrayal.

BMfan BMfan said:

Sony does everything wrong.

Microsoft can do no wrong.

So basically Sony tries to stop hackers and piracy means sell your console but since Microsoft

doesn't care means you will keep the console.

Makes sense now why just about everyone gives money\sticks up for the hacker\pirate.

Hope you guys will ask him to give you a early cracked copy of the next C.O.D.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ..

i'm happy SONY & GeoHot settled on this & it is sad to see that still the latter wants to show that the former is evil & ANON is just fighting the wrong battle ...

inciting people to boycott SONY is just cheap & childish, i'm sorry the big corporate didn't do anyone any harm, they had to protect their work, investment, other people's job, the consumer's security & fun.

hacking & piracy isn't like 20 years ago anymore, today hacking means touching something as delicate as our private & sensitive data. If some games can activate your PS3 webcam to take a shot of your face when playing online, what will happen if some hackers could take control of this (that's why it's always turned down for me) ... access to free PSN is interesting for all gamers & taking risk losing such feature is just not worth it. We have really confidential data (full address / credit card number / etc) on most internet enabled devices ... i dare anyone saying that hacking today doesn't open too many gates to online hell.

GeoHot is a natural born jailbreaker, i admit it may be interesting to mod / enhance any existing devices, we like it when we can overclock, emulate but we also need to consider not only the legal aspect but the new security threat that comes along & the moral issues too. I don't feel like hackers should stop to hack for sometimes they push manufacturers to give us more, yet they should make it a sport, an exclusive discipline reserved to some elite.

With hacking / cracking we've seen easy methods of stealing, so it is a big responsibility for those who can not to make easily redistributable kits, for in the end we consumers lose more.

to those who wants to boycott SONY or any other big corporate go along, we legit & loyal consumers do want to play safe, have fun & no hassle. we want peace of mind & we'd prefer the devices not to be in those hands who don't even respect their own money, their own data & other people's work.

I say good luck to GeoHot & ANON, you'd better show maturity & show that you can do something big without causing any harm anymore, no one should go & attack anyone, even those big evil corporates that we need in the end, for in all wars, the real losers are the civilians, here, the consumers.

cheers!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

And please, do protest and never buy Sony along with the other 50 or so ****** who aren't all just BARK. Good luck, won't make an impact at all. Have fun not buying more games, watching 1/4th of the movies out, and tons more. Limit your life cause you're obvious and ignorant.

Good luck,

I don't think living without a PS-3 is limiting my life. I just have to fire up a DVD player, (about 30 bucks), to watch a movie. This opposed to a PS-3 costing about 300 dollars. And no, I don't use Blu-Ray. You call if cheap if you must, but remember, "a fool and his money are soon parted company". Besides, I didn't really sign on here to have some nameless internet troll provide my financial advice.

If I can avoid patronizing Sony I will, but for different reasons other than brown nosing GeoHot. I don't really expect that I, as a single consumer, will impact a large corporation such as Sony one iota.

With your obvious abundant obsession with the PS-3, you seem to parallel an Apple fanboi. You suffer the same tunnel vision, it's just applied to a different product.

As has been suggested to me many times by many people, (in different circumstance), "why don't you get a life"? Sony doesn't really need you fulfilling the role of their Don Quixote. They have a full staff of corporate lawyers for that. So, as it would seem, you basically have the same lack of impact that all the rest of us here do. Run your mouth all want, you're not going to change a single thing, or for that matter, a single opinion.

Incidentally, your original post contains what would probably be considered, "excessive profanity". It doesn't bother me personally, but the name calling is abuse, and substituting vulgarity for content, belies a certain degree of illiteracy regarding the English language.

So, y'all stop by again real soon. The next time I won't waste any time pandering to you with an answer, I'll just report the abuse and get it over with.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, a boycott is perhaps more of an intensely personal thing. With that said, it is still the only way an individual consumer can protect himself from abuse from modern mega-corporations. I'll boycott Sony if it strikes my fancy to do so, not because some whizz kid got himself into trouble reverse engineering their product.

Sony is well down on my list of people to by from, mostly centered around the rootkit spyware controversy from years and ago. It didn't really affect me, as I mostly use free standing home entertainment equipment for my musical "needs". The fact notwithstanding that I don't even listen to the music that the malware was on the CDs in the first place. There are principles involved, but at the end of the day, it's hard to say whether Sony is more or evil, any other humongous corporate entity.

If a person decides that something on the market is something that he or she can't live without, then that person automatically yields a certain amount of control to its manufacturer.

SONY for the win... I will not stop buying SONY Products. They are the best and the best is worth having!! M$oft's X-DVD Box is the worst piece of crap ever made. SONY is looking out for their interest and those of their consumers like any other company wanting to survive and making money so all you haters can go eat some cereal. Geo is a hypocrite...those who doesnt realize this are imbeciles!

Omnislip said:

spydercanopus said:

Come on, man. You think they'll send out controllers to anyone who asks? Get real. They'd have to be mentally impaired to do that.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Not sure if this has been posted before.... but look at the date. And the 5th paragraph.

[link]

What would it take for you to leave a company behind. People with your minds set ( the I will get mind and screw you) are a big problem in this world. If what he did was Criminally wrong then he would be arrested, but it is not. This is a company exploiting a law that was put into place to circumvent user rights. But hey as long as you get what you want who cares.

Cota Cota said:

st1ckm4n said:

[link]

OMG i love that link, this clears my point of view since this is an example of "trust" (removing the fact that the U.S. Miliraty are practicably saying "its mine and its ok" from SONY to the user on what they can do to their console.

Oh Mr. Sony can i use your console to mod it to use it for National Security purposes? even if i have to modify it? -yes sure.

Oh Mr. Sony can i release a code that gives access to the root of your console to give unlimited access to millions of people so they can mod to their ethical rights pleasure? -lawl

If you want a more open PS3 dont start by making war whit possible piracy and dont put excuses on your attempts to hide the fact that the root key wouldn't help it.

BMfan BMfan said:

Let see, trust the military to use it for what they say they are going to do or

Trust that a consumer won't want to download games for free.

My personal boycott is simple. I will put money into resellers pockets. Gamestop is great for 2nd hand games and used hardware. Not a dime goes into Sony's pockets or it's developers.

Online gaming ... Microsoft got it right with Xbox live. As for music. If you look around , there are plenty of torrent sites , you tube sites and the like to listen to music with out putting a dime into Sony's coffers. The same goes for movies and TV. As for consumer electronics ... I hear that LG, Mitsubishi GE and a few other companies make a great flat screen , DVD player, and so on....

So you see. If Sony dropped off the face of the earth. There would be no great loss and you might even save a few bucks.