Ubisoft launches studio to make its games into movies, TV shows

By on May 3, 2011, 10:41 AM

Ubisoft has created a new division in its company dedicated specifically to adapting its game franchises to movies and TV shows. The newly created Ubisoft Motion Pictures will be based in Paris, France and will be headed by former Europacorp CEO Jean-Julien Baronnet. Walt Disney Studios France executive Jean de Rivieres will be in charge of marketing and promotion, according to Variety.

The major game publisher has shown interest in movie making since at least February 2007, when it first announced plans to open a CGI film studio in Montreal, Canada. Later that year, in August 2007, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot explained to an Edinburgh Interactive Festival audience why games and movies should go hand in hand. "We will have to start making movies because if we don't do it, we won't be able to take advantage of the power of the next generation," Guillemot said according to Gamasutra. "In creating movies and games at the same time, we see what we have to improve to make better games as well."

In July 2008, Ubisoft acquired Hybride Technologies, a Montreal-based studio known for its expertise in the creation of visual effects for cinema, television, and advertising. The studio's many projects include the films 300, Sin City, and Avatar. Speaking of Avatar, Ubisoft worked closely with Canadian film director, film producer, and screenwriter James Cameron in developing the game based on the movie. It didn't sell so well, though Guillemot blamed poor release timing.

The Disney-produced movie based on Ubisoft's Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time was released in May 2010. It had a budget of somewhere between $150 million and $200 million, but it brought in roughly $335 million worldwide, making it the silver screen's top-grossing game adaptation of all time.

Out of all the movie-game attempts made between 2007 and now, Ubisoft probably wants a repeat of the Prince of Persia success. Would you be interested in seeing a movie based on some of Ubisoft's other big game franchises, such as Splinter Cell or Assassin's Creed?

ElShotte ElShotte said:

I'd love to see a Splinter Cell movie adaptation that hopefully wouldn't suck. But honestly, I haven't seen The Sands of Time yet... but then again, I never liked Prince of Persia for some weird reason.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I could see Spinter Cell or Assassin's Creed made into movies easily, especially considering recent events.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

They should hire Uwe Boll for some real video game to movie success ;-) .

Emil said:

[Avatar] didn't sell so well, though Guillemot blamed poor release timing.

Pretty sure bad controls & gameplay had a larger impact than timing.

Splinter Cell movie based off the first or combo of the first+second games would be wicked.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

I had no idea that the movie Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time was based off a video game.

It is by far the best film based of a video game I have seen. (Never played the game tho)

Maybe not ranking amongst the best movies but for sure a recommended watch, and very entertaining IMO...

Screw Splinter Cell, I'd want a 'Beyond Good and Evil' film!

me%29

yRaz yRaz said:

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad Idea, remember Doom? We have a hard enough time coming up with good ideas, last thing we need is to spend energy on turning the bad ones into movies. What ever story it is, it should stick to it's original medium.

I vote Beyond Good and Evil too!!

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

yRaz said:

Doom was destroyed my hollywood; it could have been so much better, but it probably would have still sucked. =p

Raswan Raswan said:

yRaz said:

Speak for yourself. I'll watch The Rock tear it up Doom-style every day of the week. Plus, it made almost 82 million.

The fact that it was poorly directed and the acting sucked balls doesn't mean they should stop trying

ramonsterns said:

Will it require you to stay connected to the internet to watch the movie?

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Let's hope that Uwe Boll doesn't get his hands on any of the scripts. He has a knack for destroying game based movies. Remember Far Cry?

yRaz yRaz said:

ramonsterns said:

Will it require you to stay connected to the internet to watch the movie?

lol...

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I'd definitely go see a Splinter Cell or Assasin's Creed movie, even though I've never played either.

yRaz said:

I actually think that it would be better for the movies. Who better to make a game-based movie than the very same people who made the games? I think gamers would be happier to see a true-to-story movie than some bastardized version bearing no resemblance to the game and its universe ala Doom.

However, I could see the quality of the game stories go down as they run out of ideas to share with or differentiate from each other.

But having said all of that, just imagine this:

Valve Motion Pictures Presents:

Half-Life

That's right. I heard your nerdgasm.

Would love to see a movie of Assassin's Creed, you got some sci fi mixed with action and a very interesting story! it has the componets of a really good movie and also sequels.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I actually think that a videogame based series put out on HBO might have a much better shot at success in terms of quality and reception. Movies try to cram too much into too little, and often rely on CGI and action to the detriment of the plot.

A 15 episode season dealing with Assassin's Creed would allow you to delve into character development and plot arcs much more effectively than a 90 minute film. And with such a franchise, you basically can set it in any time period and location, giving it a very long shelf life and allow for multiple seasons.

Trainass said:

wagan8r said:

yRaz said:

But having said all of that, just imagine this:

Valve Motion Pictures Presents:

Half-Life

That's right. I heard your nerdgasm.

Damnit, I just put on these pants!

herpaderp said:

I'd love a Splinter Cell movie, but I just can't imagine who'd they use for it. Michael Ironside's voice is 90% of what makes Sam Fisher so badass, but the man is getting old, and he doesn't quite look like his game character....

Anyways, I can't believe no one's mentioned it yet, but a Crysis movie or show?

Edit: Whoops, nvm, I forgot who the franchise belongs to..

Rasta211 said:

I want to see a "Half-Life" movie.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

I would like to see a movie based on Ghost Recon. Isn't that franchise still with Ubisoft ? They had this kickass live action trailer for the new Ghost Recon game sometime last year but sadly no more updates on when the game is supposed to be released.

abe10tiger abe10tiger, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I wonder if they're going to make one for Cold Fear..

captainawesome captainawesome said:

F all those games. I want to see Mass Effect on the silver screen!

captainawesome captainawesome said:

it basically is a movie anyway - just look at the cast

T77 T77 said:

Yes sure, movie adaptations of popular and best-selling games would be a very good idea and would most certainly translate into a profitable venture.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Game to movie thing sounds kinda cool, would probably make it better if they guys making the game are making the movie also. My concern is pushing back release dates because the are going the movie at the same time.

yRaz said:

Doom really didn't have much of a story to it though from what I remember. All the "story" text they give you in the first several games could fit on one typed sheet of paper. They didn't really have much to work with IMO.

I think games with deeper story like Assassin's Creed to Splinter Cell would be able make a much better movie.

yRaz yRaz said:

TorturedChaos said:

I can see someone making that point. I just don't want to see them same thing they do when turning a book into a movie. So much is left out and they are aimed at people who already know the story. LOTR is a good example

If am not mistaking there is already a show from assasin creed called "assasin creed lineage"

I think if the people that made the bourne ultimatum and new batman movies did the splintercell and assassins creed projects.. they would kick some majore *****. I dont know how lame games have already been made into movies when these two franchises have had major success as games, and have excellent plots that could lead to many movies down the road.