Doom ported to the Web, video inside

By on June 1, 2011, 2:42 AM

Doom has been ported to the Web. That's right: you can now play the classic video game from the comfort of an Internet webpage, assuming your browser can handle it, of course.

This has been achieved by compiling Doom to JavaScript with Emscripten, an LLVM-to-JavaScript compiler. In other words, you can play it on the Web, using standard Web technologies like Audio and Canvas, without being forced to use any plug-ins.

You can try it yourself here: Doom on the Web. I tried it in Chrome 11 but it didn't work. If you're using Chrome, try one of the other channels and let me know in the comments if it works. I'd also be interested in knowing if IE9 or the IE10 preview can run it. The video below shows a user playing the game in a Firefox nightly build:

Doom was first released on December 10, 1993 by id Software. The series is widely considered to be a pioneer for the FPS genre. It introduced features such as 3D graphics, true 3D spatiality, networked multiplayer gameplay, and support for player-created expansions.

Doom is one of the most widely ported video games in the FPS genre: starting with the original MS-DOS shareware version, it has been released officially for seven computer operating systems, nine video game consoles, two handheld game consoles, and one cell phone.

That's just the official list. The Doom source code was eventually released under the GPL license by id Software, and fans made a point to create as many ports as possible. Some are replications of the DOS version, while others include modifications to creature design and game levels, or even offer levels that are not included in the original version.

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

How neat, being able to relive the fun of blowing up stuff and being blown to smithereens over and over again!

Being serious, it's very nice to have access to Doom without an emulator.

I also tried it in Chrome 11, didn't work as expected. Tried latest stable Firefox instead, worked. Checked the site's source code; there are plenty of initial -moz- tags, for instance on the canvas. As this is 'somewhat' experimental, there should be -webkit- tags for Safari, Opera and Chrome... but there are none.

I have not tried the site in Safari or Opera, but I can imagine that it wouldn't work either...

SilverCider said:

Firefox 4.0.1 works fine with it, albeit with some funny sounds (and a little delayed)

Arris Arris said:

Opera 11.11 worked, but no sound.

Chrome 11 didn't load for me.

Weirdly Firefox 4.0.1 didn't load either for me.

Safari 5.0.5 works for me too.

Think the sound issue is related to my work PC.

"S_StartSoundAtVolume: 16bit and not pre-cached - wtf?

S_StartSoundAtVolume: 16bit and not pre-cached - wtf?"

anguis said:

Didn't seem to load on IE or FF 4.0.1 for me.

RoyCooL said:

Firefox 4.0.1 ... works .. delay in sound

34FPS and Sound lags on Firefox 4 Uses only 1 core of my Q6600@2.80GHz

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Doesn't seem to work with IE9.

starfreezer said:

A piece of news that realy warms my heart! Been making maps for Doom for a good ten years or so. And if you wonder if there are still anything going on in gaming community close to 20 years of age, I urge you to visit www.doomworld.com There are still plenty of activity over there

Greetings from me - still knee deep in the dead.

IE9: Does not work.

Firefox 4.01 seem to load but I got an error message and couldn't do anything.

Really, unforgettable sweet memories...

First contact on 486 DX 2 @ 80Mhz. 14" Monitor and was lucky, got Sound-Blaster 16 Bit. Expensive rig back then...

Nights playing, locked alone with lights off in my room... First time I have had sacred/scary moments in a game.

When Doom 2 with 2-barrel Shot Gun came out... Party! Although... I was leaving/missing from the real "hide and seek" and such games in neighborhood.

By the way... Also was my first pirated game in 2 diskettes. I didn't know of course it was illegal. The sneaky local small computer-store was selling cheap those... hehe!

After playing it for just 3 minutes under FireFox 4.x, it crashed, saying:

Error: R_DrawColumn: 262 to 275 at 17

FAILURE in loop iteration: SDL_Quit!

I guess it's just too good to be true...

Opera 11.11: I can confirm no sound but running.

Uh, someone already did this years and years ago.

> Checked the site's source code; there are plenty of initial -moz- tags, for instance on the canvas. As this is 'somewhat' experimental, there should be -webkit- tags for Safari, Opera and Chrome... but there are none.

Not accurate. The canvas has -moz AND -webkit (and opera, and IE) stuff, just to make it double the normal size (so it isn't tiny).

Afenix said:

Opera - yep, no sound, but works fine, 34+ fps

Mycologist Mycologist said:

What's wrong with zdoom or similar? Or, if you're really into keeping it the same as doom95 was, ChocoDoom?

I really don't see the point of porting doom to this format, cool though it is.

Safari crashes on iPhone 4.3.3

Zecias said:

is this supposed to be new?

over 2 years old ==> [link]

treetops treetops said:

most flash ports are alittle different from the original the flow of the game isnt the same

"

is this supposed to be new?

over 2 years old ==> http://www.kongregate.com/games/mike...acomplete=doom

"

That's a completely different thing.. is Flash.. this is HTML(+ JS)

Chrome 13, latest dev build doesn't work either.