Top Budget & Enthusiast-Level SSDs for the Price

By on June 2, 2011, 4:32 AM

We've been following the evolution of solid state drives for some time now, highlighting the most relevant offerings at any given time, and noting the impact newer controllers had in improving performance. The last few months have been particularly busy with Intel, OCZ, and Crucial launching their next-gen offerings at different price points and capacities.

For now it appears SSDs will continue to get faster, but in terms of pricing they're still far from becoming mainstream. We've put together a condensed list with some of what we consider the best SSDs in the market right now, basing our picks on performance and highlighting a slightly slower alternative offering a better cost per gigabyte value.

Read the complete guide.

Mizzou Mizzou said:

Sure would like to see more mainstream prices on the new SSD's ... just checked newegg and the Vertex II 240GB is still going for $400. Guess I'll just keep on plugging away with my original Vertex 128GB until these prices start coming down to earth.

chaboi390 said:

It won't take long now since more and more companies are making SSDs, they are becoming more mainstream and there's more of a variety. Let's hope it will fall far enough for me at the end of the year.

I found that the vertex 3 was reasonable in price, so I bought two of them for raid 0.

I would take the crucial over the OCZ even if it cost more.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

My Agility 2 is faster at gaming/multimedia/multitasking compared to the C300's, and the new Vertex/Agility 3' are faster at the same thing when compared to Crucials' new drives.

OCZ makes the best SSD.

Crucial makes great stuff too though, but this is about speed and Crucial falls behind a little.

No Corsair Force 3 on here? I am disappoint.

Still above the crucial (ha) price of £1 p er Gb. AT these prices I will have new mobo and new fusion a3 before any of these. I still dont know whether to wait for win8 or upgrade to win7, seeing as this will be last OS I ever buy. I'm all done paying £80 for an OS thats used on £200 hardware. CHromium will free us from the Microsoft tax.