Valve releases Team Fortress 2 for free, for good

By on June 24, 2011, 7:54 PM

Valve has released Team Fortress 2 for free, and has announced that it is staying that way forever. Of course, the company hasn't entirely given up on making money from Team Fortress 2: gamers can still buy virtual goods in-game "to improve their gameplay experience."

There are two accounts types for the game. If you have downloaded it for free and have not made a purchase in the in-game Mann Co. store, you have a free account. If you've ever spent money on the game (including purchasing it before it was Free-to-Play, activating a retail version, or making a purchase in the Mann Co. in-game store), you have a premium account. Premium accounts have a few extra features, including access to rare and cosmetic items through random item drops, the ability to store more items in your backpack, and more powerful trading and crafting abilities.

Otherwise, the gameplay experience is pretty much identical for both types of accounts. The entire game can be played without making a purchase; all game modes, classes, and maps are available. Nearly every weapon is available through achievements, drops, or crafting.

Team Fortress 2 is a team-based first-person shooter (FPS) multiplayer video game. It was released on October 10, 2007. The game is considered a major success and has garnered hundreds of thousands of dedicated players.

Many believe it is one of the best FPS games currently available. It is praised for its graphical style, balanced gameplay, comedic value, and for its use of full character personalities in a dedicated multiplayer game.

One of the reasons for its success is that it has received multiple updates over the years. Although it was labeled as vaporware for a long time (the game was originally announced in 1998), once it launched, Valve made sure to keep development going.

In order to play Team Fortress 2, gamers need to download it via Valve's Steam digital-game-distribution service. It's available on both PC and Mac: Team Fortress 2.

backo said:

You have to love Valve :-)

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Awesome! Now I finally have a game to play in the Friday Night Fragfest!

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

Now if only they would make Mass Effect 3 free..

I can dream, can't I? :P

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I should log on to see all the free hats that I've accumulated over the years.

albertjkruger said:

backo said:

You have to love Valve :-)

I think this is Valve's response to Origin... Lol

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

YES!!! I LOVE VALVE!!!

Time to try out Team Fortress 2! Thanks Valve. :)

Now I have a third free game to play!

Already playing Alliance Of Valliant Arms and Battlefield Play 4 Free.

It's awesome that TF2 is now free, double awesome I don't need Reactor anymore and can play AVA through Steam, now if Valve could just add Battlefield P4F to Steam then I'll have a central game launcher / updater. :)

IAMTHESTIG said:

Cool i'll have to check this game out. Does it have LAN support? I host 12-16 player LAN parties every 4 months and I think this would be great to play on LAN. But trying to shove all these players through my 1.5mbit connection isn't going to fly well.

thatguyandrew92 said:

IAMTHESTIG said:

Yes it has lan

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Have countless hours logged in TF2 and would recommend everyone give it at least a try, especially since it's free now .

IAMTHESTIG said:

thatguyandrew92 said:

IAMTHESTIG said:

Yes it has lan

Sweeeeet.... downloading now.

Scott8090 said:

Nice to see valve show their amazingness again. They own 80 to 85 percent of digital game sales for a reason yea!!

TekGun TekGun said:

"How to keep winning" by Valve...

ramonsterns said:

This is so awesome! Now all I have to do is make a new account every time I get caught hacking, and since VAC doesn't do **** for 1-3 weeks, I don't have to worry about it!

Actually, just kidding. Good job ruining the game.

EDIT: First Valve and now CCP with EVE Online. Good thing I stopped having faith in game developers early on, I don't think my little heart could have taken the knife or 12 to my back.

@ramonsterns

You actually think that VAC exploit would ruin the game? what planet are you from?

/facepalm

ramonsterns said:

@ramonsterns

/facepalm

The planet where VAC doesn't ban your IP and even if it did a persistent hacker can simply change it.

treetops treetops said:

This games always been to cartoony for me. They announce this a week after DNF comes out ouch.

tried the game this morning and hated everything about it. L4D2 is just so much better.

princeton princeton said:

All the ****ing servers I used to play on are full of F2P'ers and they're completely full all the time. **** this.

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

If I had to pick between Duke Nukem Forever and Team Fortress 2, I'd pick TF2 every time. DNF is a piece of crap.

Too bad I have this game already.

You're doing it wrong, Valve. You charge money for a game then give away the miscellaneous crap like hats for free, not the other way round.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Princeton said:

Scott8090 said:

Well the planet your in stinks. VAC works just fine. Its meant to run with server admins as well as auto kick/auto ban. If your basing your claims on CSS or Modern Warfare 2 then yea it works like crap But VAC run games Generally do their work well. As for simply changing your ip, IP's do "not" work that way. Masking Your ip is possible, fully changing your ip is not. Your given a IP by your ISP...Most Video Game Hackers are inexperienced fools..Change ip? Please don't make me laugh so hard lol...

PS: If you wanted to troll you Probably should back your claims better : 3.

Scott8090 said:

Hated everything about it? Really? Gezz..comparing the game L4D2 to this game is pure ***** ness. Its only of the few games that has stuck to the old Game play style that lasted for only a few years in video games. Out of those games, This one has truly done so the best. Hope you have fun with L4D2..Never saw the fun in it my self.

Scott8090 said:

Too bad I have this game already.

Same thing I say to the comments on DNF. What does everyone think DNF was suppose to be anyway? The developers released the dang thing to finally release duke. Its suppose to be offense, Jokey and just plain WTF. Its Duke for goodness sake. Doing other wise would just not be duke. I remember reading a comment of someone saying the It was suppose to be "just a joke" which was why it was such a vastly different game. Thinking back Its suppose to be a funny joke worth laughing at that someone really did that lol. Reviewing the game in that aspect gives Makes Duke Nukem Forever Truly a worth Duke title.

PS: The developers backed their game fully. They also believed if individuals didn't like that game oh dang well. Its duke and it serves its title correctly .

Valve is the best!

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I've played this for a couple hours now, and I have to say, I'm really bad at it. Some shooters I can get the hand of really quickly, but this is just not one of them. Even so, it's pretty fun, and I'm sure I'll like it even more once I start sucking less.

veLa veLa said:

I don't like the Orange Box engine. Updating CS:S to this really hurt that game.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

No excuse for us to not have an ALL Techspot (only) TF2 night now...

Scott8090 said:

No excuse for us to not have an ALL Techspot (only) TF2 night now...

Sounds like you all would have some epic fun .

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Each their own I guess, I personally find TF2 to be way better than the L4D franchise.

@Price Ya, noticing a lot of F2P players on many of my favorite servers too. Looks like I'm going to have to find more now.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Technochicken said:

Haha! sounds just like me! I sucked for the first good 30 hours of play (started picking up after about 8 hours though) and i've now clocked a good 600 hours on the game. I've owned everything and everyone for the last 400 of them and yet I still come back for more!

Seriously addictive if your a skilled FPS person