US ranks fourteenth in global Internet speed standings

By on July 26, 2011, 7:16 PM

Akamai has released its State of the Internet report for the first quarter of 2011, unleashing a metric crap ton of information about the Web. Among various other statistics, the 39-page report details the global proliferation and average speed of broadband Internet connections. Unsurprisingly, Internet has continued its explosive growth over the last few years with the number of unique iPv4 addresses growing 80% from 323 million in the first quarter of 2008 to 584 million in 2011.

The US represents the largest slice of that figure with more than 142 million unique IPv4 addresses -- nearly double China's second place figure of 73 million. Japan holds 41 million addresses, Germany has 34 million and France has 24 million. South Korea, the UK, Brazil, Italy and Spain completed the top ten list with 13 million to 22 million addresses.

Those standings will eventually change. While the US holds the most addresses, it has the lowest annual adoption rate out of the mentioned countries (10% versus 35% for South Korea, 28% for Italy, and 27% for China). We assume that's because most of the US population is already connected to the Internet.

In addition to having the largest IPv4 adoption rate, South Korea leads the world in average broadband speeds by a wide margin at 14.4Mb/s. Hong Kong, China is second with an average speed of 9.2Mb/s, Japan is third at 8.1Mb/s, the Netherlands follows with 7.5Mb/s, and Romania claimed fifth with 6.6Mb/s.

The US didn't even make the top ten list, having been forced to fourteenth with an average connection speed of 5.3Mb/s, behind the Czech Republic, Latvia, Switzerland, Belgium, Ireland and others. The US is notorious for ranking low on global speed standings, we're sure this won't come as a surprise to most of you.

Within the US, Delaware continues to offer the fastest broadband with an average of 7.5Mb/s, ahead of Rhode Island's 6.8Mb/s -- though it should be noted that they are the smallest states in the US. Wisconsin, New Hampshire, Connecticut Indiana, Maine, Virginia, California and Utah follow with 5.6Mb/s to 6.0Mb/s.

Win7Dev said:

Yay! I'm above average for the US at 6Mb/s. I could get up to 18Mb/s if I paid a premium though ($120/Month 250GB bandwidth).

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm helping to pull that average down. I usually get 1.8 to 2.4 mb/s. We're upgrading to 12 mb/s soon though.

I'm paying for 25 mb/s and I usually get around 29 mb/s. Thanks for all the bandwidth guys.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Oh boy, here come the:

"I live in [insert name of 3rd world country] and I pay [insert cost commensurate with country's per capita income]."

130 yuan/month (around 20 USD/month) for 2 mb/s in China.

killamoves said:

15 Mb/s for $45 here in NYC.

bchen88c said:

15 Mbps/3 Mbps comcast in new hampshire. Price was something like $50 with basic cable but now it has skyrocketed to around $80 (both with taxes included)

Out here in the country in Aiken County, South Carolina, I average about 5.5 to 7.1.

Uh, that's KB/s. I'm on a dialup line :)

Emin3nce said:

Pretty sure Australia is the last on the list, behind the third world countries.

U$ 65.00 for 8 mb/s here in Brazil, Sao Paulo, without cap limitation (I can download as much as I want) lol

Butch said:

I average about 65-80 mbps on all major speed test sites. I'm using Comcast Business DOCSIS 3.0. It's about $150/mo but work pays for it so I'll take it. It's blazing fast but most sites I use for heavy d/l, like Steam, throttle to about 3 MB/s. Not sure what 3 MB/s translates to in mbps but I do know I can bring 5-6 GB games down pretty freaking fast...

$12 for 20Mbit/s here in Russia

And ISP hosts all the pirated movies accessible at 100Mbit/s

768kbps for 22 u$ here in costa rica very bad !

Feelsgoodman.jpeg

"$12 for 20Mbit/s here in Russia

And ISP hosts all the pirated movies accessible at 100Mbit/s"

In Soviet Russia, internet...

someone help?

In Soviet Russia, internet surfs you =]

"paying 70 dollars for 50/5 mbit no limits (because i dont live in a faggot country).

Feelsgoodman.jpeg"

what is the country you are living?

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

butch said:

Well if you consider a byte being 8 bits, that rounds up to 24 Mbps. Not all bytes are 8 bit though. But the generalization works per say.

Depending on my location (wireless), I can get anywhere from 1 to 10 Mbps for $41 a month (peaking at 12 Mbps on Speedtest). My Internet-provider has a flexible rate.

But the real question isn't about what I'm paying or what I'm getting; 'is it worth it?' I'd say it is.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

30Mbps line with VMedia in UK for £28.50 (not including Phone+TV, total £38.99). Max I got was around 4MBps (32.5Mbps) and was happy heh.

Glad to see Czech Republic high on the list although I am from Slovakia id prefer to see them up there :P But they still behind...

US is falling behind the world in many things. You can thank the Republicans in collusion with Bankers for your fantastic debt and rapidly increasing disparity.

Tax the poor to feed the rich! Bring back slavery.

50 Mbps for 7 euro here in Romania =))

70/20 Mbps for $18, here in Bulgaria

i know, im in the '3rd world'....

grvalderrama said:

I get 3 Mb/s, average download speed is 300 KB/s... so, what are you whinning for? lol

Puiu Puiu said:

Internet is dirt cheap in Romania and the connections are all above 20Mbps in cities (a bit lower in rural places).

I have 100/20 Mbps, national/international speeds, but i do get often over 20mbps for international connections, for just 12$ and i get a free 7.2Mbps 3G USB modem for free. ^_^

30/15 Mbps with Fairpoint for $40 here in New Hampshire, USA. Well above the average... =)

USD. 24 per month for 40 kpbs ( INDONESIA ) ... claimed "BROADBAND SERVICE"

Thats it im moving to South Korea :P

Seraphim401 Seraphim401 said:

50 Mbps for 7 euro here in Romania =))

No way!I pay ? 35 for the same speed here in The Netherlands.

1977TA said:

The second graph is really sorta ridiculous. Since when is Hong Kong a country? Most of those in the "top 10" are smaller then California. Show the average mbps for the whole country of China. I wonder what the average speeds are in San Fran, New York or LA, those would have been a better comparison or at least equal to the size of the ones in the "top ten". It's like saying America has the cheapest cars, slowest cars...but here's the top ten list: Italy, Munich, Crewe, etc...

Yes, the US isn't running fiber optic cable through out all of Alaska or Bayou's just yet. But since when do Eskimo's and Hill Billies need internet?

I have 40mbps service in Portland, OR, cost me 70ish, which is a lot faster then the "US average". But in a rural city, it is average.

Lionvibez said:

technochicken said:

Maybe my math is off but you are usually getting 1.8-2.4 mb/s and you currently are on less than a 12Mbps connection??

Unless your line has a speed boost and you see those speed maybe for the first 10 second of the download something is wrong with your numbers son.

gobbybobby said:

I get 1 meg in coutryside UK

going uni and staying in center of Bristol, prob get Much faster there.

My bad. If somebody can delete the above comment, the quote didn't work for some reason...

Anyways:

70/20 Mbps for $18, here in Bulgaria

i know, im in the '3rd world'....

Same thing here, except for about 15$...

So yeah, long live UTP :>

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Feelsgoodman.jpeg"

what is the country you are living?

I guess that leaves out Greece, France, and last but not least, Bulgaria.

Lots of frustrated racists commented on this news (thankfully most have been deleted). Here in Romania I pay 12 euros for 50Mps/ at least 20 external so when I look at the chart I couldn't be happier.

I live in SK and I can tell you that the internet here is fast... Only if your accessing national sites. I get about 92mb/s up and down to Korean servers, but outside of the country its more like 2mb/s. I guess the internet here is great if your Korean... it kinda sucks for foreigners though.

I pay about $30USD a month (with no usage restrictions).

35MB's down 7MB's up only 5% of the USA has better internet than me lol

I pay 80$ a month for 1.6MB/s with a datacap of 450 MB.. It does renew every 24 hours... Satellite internet sucks b@ll$ here...

My internet is 12 MBPS download and 1 MBPS upload. Apparently I'm doing pretty well. Wish I could upload faster, though. And we're only paying something like 47 a month for it. With a 15 dollar connection fee, but for that price it's not bad.

DAOWAce DAOWAce said:

As per speedtest.net, my connection speed is 97% better than the rest of the US. My average national grade is 95% and my global is 93%.

That's depressing, considering people pay ridiculous prices for broadband compared to the price and speed of mine.

That broadband plan Obama created is way too far off. By the time everyone in the US has a decent broadband connection, 1Gbps will be available to people who can afford it. So sad.