Weekend tech reading: Anonymous breaches US government sites

By on August 7, 2011, 1:48 PM

Group hacks US law enforcement sites, steals data The group known as Anonymous said it hacked into some 70 mostly rural law enforcement websites in the United States, a data breach that at least one local police chief said leaked sensitive information about an ongoing investigation. The loose-knit international hacking collective posted a cache of data to the Internet early Saturday, including emails stolen from officers, tips that appeared to come from members of the public, credit card numbers... AP

Professors cede grading power to outsiders -- even computers The best way to eliminate grade inflation is to take professors out of the grading process: Replace them with professional evaluators who never meet the students, and who don't worry that students will punish harsh grades with poor reviews. That's the argument made by leaders of Western Governors University, which has hired 300 adjunct professors who do nothing but grade student work. The Chronicle

Special report: Here's Fusion processors, AMD's 2012 model mobile According to information from the last sale in July, 1.5 million Fusion LIano processor performs and raise the level of 7-8 million projected by year-end sales figures, AMD, laptop's computing market, to offer next-generation Fusion processors to market gained acceleration in 2012, aims to consolidate. AMD is prepared to update the entire product line with 2012... DonanimHaber (translated)

Defcon lockpickers open card-and-code government locks in seconds To open a door fitted with the latest U.S. government-certified lock from high-end Swiss lock manufacturer Kaba, an employee must both enter a code up to eight digits long, then swipe a unique identity card coded to comply with a new standard that requires an extra layer of security, one designed to track individual staffers and make covert intrusion harder than ever. Forbes

Microsoft readies 22 patches for Windows, IE next week Microsoft said it will ship 13 security updates next week to patch 22 vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer, Windows, Visio, and Visual Studio. Next Tuesday's patch lineup is larger than July's on the update count, but matches last month's vulnerability total. That's unusual, since the company usually delivers a heavier load in even-numbered months. PCWorld

Nvidia drivers giving 2010 MacBook Pro owners Lion upgrade headaches Users of last year's MacBook Pro models with Nvidia GPUs are finding the upgrade to Lion to be far less than perfect. Problems in the NVidia graphics drivers that shipped with OS X 10.7 appear to be at the root of kernel panics and system freezes that leave an affected MacBook Pro with a blank black screen. Ars Technica

Time Warner Cable’s porn problem: It Isn’t selling enough Big cable companies like Comcast and Time Warner Cable keep saying they don’t see Web video cutting into their business: Even if people are watching more Hulu, Netflix, Apple TV, etc., it’s not hurting cable, say the cable guys. But there’s at least one big, dirty exception. AllThingsD

Comcast rolls out $10 Internet access for low-income families As a condition of Comcast's acquisition of NBC, the folks at Kabletown have created Internet Essentials, which offers internet access to low-income families for $9.95/month so long as they meet certain criteria. To be eligible for the program, the family must... The Consumerist

Pod cars, moving silently at Heathrow’s Terminal 5 Travelers passing through Heathrow Airport have an opportunity to experience the not-so-distant future of airport transportation systems in Terminal 5, where a curious row of pod cars connects the terminal’s two business parking lots. NY Times

Verizon unions strike as contract talks fail About 45,000 Verizon Communications Inc. workers began a strike after failing to reach agreement on a new contract with the second-largest U.S. telephone company. The contract expired yesterday at midnight. Bloomberg




User Comments: 62

Got something to say? Post a comment
gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Deep in the bowels of Anon HQ:

"Let's hack a police department!"

"Yeah!"

"LAPD?"

"Nah."

"NYPD?"

"Nah."

"Gassville, Arkansas?"

"Oh yeah, lets take those pigs down!"

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

"disrupt and sabotage their ability to communicate and terrorize communities."

Yup, the first thing I think of when the phrase "unbridled use of power" is uttered is the cabal of international corrupt power brokers that are rural and community sheriff's departments.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

"Gassville, Arkansas?"

"Oh yeah, lets take those pigs down!"

"You got a reel purty IP boy"

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"Comcast rolls out $10 Internet access for low-income families.."

Let's just keep empowering low-income families to remain that way with every handout imaginable. What's the matter, low-income families can't walk to the library and use the free Internet there?

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

TomSEA said:

"Comcast rolls out $10 Internet access for low-income families.."

Let's just keep empowering low-income families to remain that way with every handout imaginable. What's the matter, low-income families can't walk to the library and use the free Internet there?

Very crappy to say that

treeski treeski said:

Group hacks US law enforcement sites, steals data

Alright, that's definitely crossing the line to me. I hope these bastards get taken down.

Raswan Raswan said:

TomSEA said:

"Comcast rolls out $10 Internet access for low-income families.."

Let's just keep empowering low-income families to remain that way with every handout imaginable. What's the matter, low-income families can't walk to the library and use the free Internet there?

Ha! Spoken like a guy who has no idea what he's talking about. Hey, why don't we get rid of the American Cancer Foundation. Stupid people with cancer, why do we keep empowering you to live? Government spends way too much money keeping you alive...haven't you heard of survival of the fittest?

That sound you just heard was everyone on Techspot retroactively disregarding everything you've ever said. And I won't even go near the hypocrisy of a conservative who uses free internet at the local library as the basis for an attack against low income internet access on Sunday, while spending all of his time shutting down endowments for local learning and the arts Monday through Friday. /sigh

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Of course I don't know what I'm talking about. I've only worked in the government for 25 years, seen during those years families who literally have gone three generations of never working or contributing to society because they work the system getting free and reduced handouts. And you know who is paying the bill for these guys to Comcast? You and me, pal.

Now you may enjoy seeing a significant portion of the population get off with free medicine, free school lunches, food stamps, Section 8 housing, $10 Internet (so they can surf for porn, stream movies, etc.), the whole nine yards while never working a day in their lives and no incentive to leave that lifestyle, all at the taxpayers and billpayers expense, but I personally don't care for it.

Guest said:

Dear TomSEA

After frequenting this website for a year or so, I suspected that you were an *******. Thank you for confirming said assumption with your previous comments on this topic.

Yours faithfully

Most of the internet

ramonsterns said:

TomSEA said:

I've only worked in the government for 25 years

This explains your post history so much I crapped my pants.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Fact is that as much as everyone wants to say that this free internet will be used by parents to look for jobs, and for kids for school, the reality is that its going to be used for entertainment and porn. Personally, I'd prefer my tax dollars to go elsewhere.

Guest said:

"seen during those years families who literally have gone three generations of never working or contributing to society because they work the system getting free and reduced handouts."

I didn't know IT project managers (assuming you worked in IT and by your "about me" info) had access to public assistance information. Is that even "legal"? Or are you simly lying?

BTW, is the percentage scamming the system a few bad apples or 100%?

Or is it magical statistics because you have authority on this?

What about being so poor they can't even afford day care or they have child with disability? Let's just toss reason out, we all know you'd rather see the weak and poor just eat dirt right?

This right here folks is what's wrong with this world today. I wouldn't be surprised if we became extinct if his line of thinking became the norm.

some facts:

1.) this program was offered by COMCAST as a precondition of the merger, not forced upon by the government.

2.) It is a low speed economy tier with strings attached, and the people are PAYING customers

1.5 Mbps download and 384 Kbps

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390592,00.asp

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/08/05/139021923/com
ast-announces-10-web-access-for-low-income-families

Guest said:

"Fact is that as much as everyone wants to say that this free internet will be used by parents to look for jobs, and for kids for school, the reality is that its going to be used for entertainment and porn. Personally, I'd prefer my tax dollars to go elsewhere. "

yes because all 100% of the USA just surf porn and watch youtube daily instead of being productive (rolls eyes). If there is a normal family using it to look for jobs, read or watch news, or use it for learning, there MUST be something seriously wrong with them!!!!!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Of course I don't know what I'm talking about. I've only worked in the government for 25 years, seen during those years families who literally have gone three generations of never working or contributing to society because they work the system getting free and reduced handouts. And you know who is paying the bill for these guys to Comcast? You and me, pal.

Now you may enjoy seeing a significant portion of the population get off with free medicine, free school lunches, food stamps, Section 8 housing, $10 Internet (so they can surf for porn, stream movies, etc.), the whole nine yards while never working a day in their lives and no incentive to leave that lifestyle, all at the taxpayers and billpayers expense, but I personally don't care for it.

Oh hell Tom, half of them live on my block. Some of them are on Social Security from birth. That's the joy of being a crack head, bringing crack babies into the world, and having the system pay for them. All this, while "the father of my baby", is out front dealing heroin, and meanwhile the out of work middle class are having their mortgages foreclosed on.

And BTW Tom, you forgot the free cell phone that they're now, "entitled to"! https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Safelink

Raswan Raswan said:

gwailo247 said:

Fact is that as much as everyone wants to say that this free internet will be used by parents to look for jobs, and for kids for school, the reality is that its going to be used for entertainment and porn. Personally, I'd prefer my tax dollars to go elsewhere.

Everyone knows this. It's not news. You don't like it, I don't like it. But that doesn't mean you axe all the good that could (and will, even if it's a trickle) come out of it. In a perfect world, it wouldn't need to exist, but let's be practical. There's a lot of other stuff your tax money gets wasted on that see far fewer practical rewards and benefits.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Guest said:

"Fact is that as much as everyone wants to say that this free internet will be used by parents to look for jobs, and for kids for school, the reality is that its going to be used for entertainment and porn. Personally, I'd prefer my tax dollars to go elsewhere. "

yes because all 100% of the USA just surf porn and watch youtube daily instead of being productive (rolls eyes). If there is a normal family using it to look for jobs, read or watch news, or use it for learning, there MUST be something seriously wrong with them!!!!!

Well if your post is any indication, they're certainly not using it for learning.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

captaincranky said:

Of course I don't know what I'm talking about. I've only worked in the government for 25 years, seen during those years families who literally have gone three generations of never working or contributing to society because they work the system getting free and reduced handouts. And you know who is paying the bill for these guys to Comcast? You and me, pal.

Now you may enjoy seeing a significant portion of the population get off with free medicine, free school lunches, food stamps, Section 8 housing, $10 Internet (so they can surf for porn, stream movies, etc.), the whole nine yards while never working a day in their lives and no incentive to leave that lifestyle, all at the taxpayers and billpayers expense, but I personally don't care for it.

Oh hell Tom, half of them live on my block. Some of them are on Social Security from birth. That's the joy of being a crack head, bringing crack babies into the world, and having the system pay for them. All this, while "the father of my baby", is out front dealing heroin, and meanwhile the out of work middle class are having their mortgages foreclosed on.

And BTW Tom, you forgot the free cell phone that they're now, "entitled to"! https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Safelink

Thats how an ENORMOUS amount of people live in the cities. Notice I said cities. Cities have a lot of people, and a lot of ghetto. Even the gas stations sell super low quality food like Goose Necks that they cook in a big pot outside at a gathering and suck out the bone marrow. Pretty nasty cheap sandwich meats. These people and the areas have adapted and its a big problem IMO. Quite a horrific scene, I lived on the East of Indianapolis in a large ghetto area but on a 5 lane road when my car died and I lost my job on the West side in a true ghetto hood. But they were everywhere, all around the city except for the North side, downtown and some wealthy surrounding areas outside of the city.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

(People living on the governments food stamps and such, it was like it was everybody or realistically 90%)

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

raswan said:

Everyone knows this. It's not news. You don't like it, I don't like it. But that doesn't mean you axe all the good that could (and will, even if it's a trickle) come out of it. In a perfect world, it wouldn't need to exist, but let's be practical. There's a lot of other stuff your tax money gets wasted on that see far fewer practical rewards and benefits.

Maybe so, but if you talk to enough social workers, parole officers, and other people who deal with that segment of society, you'll probably find most of their sentiments echo Tom's. Yes, there are some people who desperately want to escape that situation, but odds are most aren't.

So you're on welfare, you get section 8 housing, and Medicare. You're going to give all that up to work 2 jobs, pay rent and lose your medicare? I'm guessing that most welfare recipients would not really be able to get work and enough of it, with enough benefits in order to make them working a better financial deal than being on gov't assistance.

We're all (or most of us anyway) approaching this situation from the perspective on not being raised on welfare from birth. If you take a second, third, fourth generation that is raised on welfare, to them this is normal. Throwing money at the problem does not do anything if you don't change the people's mentality.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Ha! Spoken like a guy who has no idea what he's talking about. Hey, why don't we get rid of the American Cancer Foundation. Stupid people with cancer, why do we keep empowering you to live? Government spends way too much money keeping you alive...haven't you heard of survival of the fittest?

If you are going to roll your own and make things up, why not just liken Tom to Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge and get it over with!? He didn't say any of that.

The fact is Raswan that generational entitlement is a fact and statistic that even the government cops to. You have Internet access...look it up.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Now you may enjoy seeing a significant portion of the population get off with free medicine, free school lunches, food stamps, Section 8 housing, $10 Internet (so they can surf for porn, stream movies, etc.)...

Don't forget that they'll ALL be illegally downloading music, and torrenting cracked games/latest release movies !

Pop!*

*The sound of Tom's head imploding

The fact is Raswan that generational entitlement is a fact and statistic that even the government cops to.

No doubt the statistics are gathered and correlated by (generations) of governmental employees in order to keep them employed lest the semi-skilled hordes join the welfare system for a more intimate acquaintance with society's detritus.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Plus you dont even goto work, that money is small. You make big money being a thug and sellin' drugs, thats how you make a name and a domain for yourself. Then you've got the ones who stick to their personal grind just lighting up when they can with what food stamps they sell for money for w/e.

gwailo247's post is pretty spot on imo.

ramonsterns said:

I'd prefer tax money didn't go to the poor altogether since most abuse the system anyways.

I'd prefer tax money didn't go to the army so they would stop bombing goat herders with $50 assault rifles.

I'd prefer tax money didn't go to bailing out big companies trapped in the holes they dug themselves into.

To be honest, there's a lot of things that don't need government funding, but free internet isn't the worst one.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

+1 ramonsterns

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'd prefer tax money didn't go to the poor altogether since most abuse the system anyways.

I'd prefer tax money didn't go to the army so they would stop bombing goat herders with $50 assault rifles.

I'd prefer tax money didn't go to bailing out big companies trapped in the holes they dug themselves into.

To be honest, there's a lot of things that don't need government funding, but free internet isn't the worst one.

agree

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

Tom, you are the type to send jobs overseas to make a profit, then ***** that his own countrymen are on welfare.

Gotta love a country where people with a comfortable amount of money don't want to be told how to spend it, but those same people want to tell the people with little money how to spend theirs. Tom, if tomorrow I told you you could not buy anymore games, CDs, or whatever, what would you do? You'd probably tell me to go f**k myself right? So what gives you the right to tell others how to spend their money? You would probably say, "I worked for that money. It comes out of my paycheck. That is what gives me the right." Guess what?..You being a citizen and working in the USA obligates you to pay those taxes. You want a military?..pay your taxes, You want Social Security?..pay your taxes, You want better roads and decent schools for your kids?..pay your taxes. If you want to live in this country, then you gotta pay. You don't have to like it, but you gotta do it one way or another if you want to reside here.

The major problem is not with the welfare recipients themselves, but with how the government handles the system. The same government you proudly boast you work for. I personally believe that the government's IT people are doing a piss poor job at protecting government computers from hackers. Maybe they should all be fired and replaced. That might save a little chuck of change don't you think? Just remember that when your at your cushy government job. States are turning their backs to their own government workers, what makes you think the federal government wont do the same thing?

Raswan Raswan said:

gwailo247 said:

raswan said:

Everyone knows this. It's not news. You don't like it, I don't like it. But that doesn't mean you axe all the good that could (and will, even if it's a trickle) come out of it. In a perfect world, it wouldn't need to exist, but let's be practical. There's a lot of other stuff your tax money gets wasted on that see far fewer practical rewards and benefits.

Maybe so, but if you talk to enough social workers, parole officers, and other people who deal with that segment of society, you'll probably find most of their sentiments echo Tom's. Yes, there are some people who desperately want to escape that situation, but odds are most aren't.

So you're on welfare, you get section 8 housing, and Medicare. You're going to give all that up to work 2 jobs, pay rent and lose your medicare? I'm guessing that most welfare recipients would not really be able to get work and enough of it, with enough benefits in order to make them working a better financial deal than being on gov't assistance.

We're all (or most of us anyway) approaching this situation from the perspective on not being raised on welfare from birth. If you take a second, third, fourth generation that is raised on welfare, to them this is normal. Throwing money at the problem does not do anything if you don't change the people's mentality.

I don't disagree with any particular point you've made. What I will say, and suggest, is that we both agree the system doesn't really work. So why not try something new? Probably ten-dollar internet is not going to fix the problem, but we don't know until we try. What else do we do? You think ending the government-sponsored programs is ever going to happen? Not by a long shot, if we're being practical about it.

Guest said:

"Food stamp use -- officially known as the government's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program -- surged in Alabama from 868,813 in April to 1,762,481 in May, contributing to the record 45.8 million receiving food stamps in May, CNN reported. That's about 15 percent of the U.S. population"

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2011/08/07/Record-458-million
receiving-food-stamps/UPI-68731312698163/

"otherwise considered it a safe red state. Located in the Deep South, Alabama is one of the most conservative states in the country. Republicans have won every presidential election in Alabama since 1980"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_elec
ion_in_Alabama,_2008

Fine look at thet. Nothin' like hypocrisy on a massive scale. Seems like them who pretch the dawgoned-est USE the dawgoned-est....govment funds thet is. Dadgum it aint none socialism, tis assistenz fo sho billy bob!

Raswan Raswan said:

red1776 said:

Ha! Spoken like a guy who has no idea what he's talking about. Hey, why don't we get rid of the American Cancer Foundation. Stupid people with cancer, why do we keep empowering you to live? Government spends way too much money keeping you alive...haven't you heard of survival of the fittest?

If you are going to roll your own and make things up, why not just liken Tom to Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge and get it over with!? He didn't say any of that.

The fact is Raswan that generational entitlement is a fact and statistic that even the government cops to. You have Internet access...look it up.

It's called hyperbole, sm@rt@ss. He's parroting the same party line I could here on Fox news at this very moment if I felt like killing a few brain cells. *whine whine whine* poor people are only poor because they are lazy, and don't wanna get a job, and are dumber than us middle class people *whine whine whine* And he WORKS for the government. Yippee. Best and the brightest, my behind. Why doesn't he come up with an alternative? Or, for that matter, why don't you? I'll back this initiative because it costs me little money and brings one of the most transformative phenomena to a people who've never had regular access before. I realize you're not going to wake up one morning and find poverty dead and gone just because of the interwebz. But how about the one kid in a hundred who wants, knows, and DESERVES to get the flock outta there, but can't because he or she doesn't have the tools? You (and Tom) are living in a dream world driven by a political philosophy that's been irrelevant since the industrial revolution and just doesn't know it yet. Ugh.

Raswan Raswan said:

*hear, by the way. Looked up what a "homonym" is on, wait for it, the INTERNET.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

raswan said:

I don't disagree with any particular point you've made. What I will say, and suggest, is that we both agree the system doesn't really work. So why not try something new? Probably ten-dollar internet is not going to fix the problem, but we don't know until we try. What else do we do? You think ending the government-sponsored programs is ever going to happen? Not by a long shot, if we're being practical about it.

No, they're not going to end the programs, but I do think that the only way you're going to get people off welfare is to ensure that welfare is not a better alternative than being on the bottom tier of the employment scale.

I think that people who had jobs, and were forced to go on assistance may be willing to work 40 hours a week to get the equivalent pay they would from welfare, but I think that for those raised in the system, to go to work for 40 hours a week to make the same amount of money you could get by sitting at home, would be seen as a stupid decision.

I'm just coming at this from my own perspective, and over the years dealing with people of this social tier, either through work or charity, I've seen way too many things in their houses, or parked in their garages, that a person who is so broke that they need handouts should not have in their house. If you can afford a big screen TV, you don't need food stamps.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I realize you're not going to wake up one morning and find poverty dead and gone just because of the interwebz. But how about the one kid in a hundred who wants, knows,
This "1 in a 100" garbage is just a convenient rallying cry to keep entitlements flowing. "But what about THE one". It's a beautiful fairy tale, but the truth of the matter is this simple; we federally subsidize the breeding of an entire group of people the country would be better off without ".

And as to your other "99", the ones that don't want to do anything but hang out, collect government checks, sell drugs, and s*** more babies, we should probably have sterilized their parents. But hell, hindsight is always 20/20.

herpaderp said:

ramonsterns said:

I'd prefer tax money didn't go to the poor altogether since most abuse the system anyways.

I'd prefer tax money didn't go to the army so they would stop bombing goat herders with $50 assault rifles.

I'd prefer tax money didn't go to bailing out big companies trapped in the holes they dug themselves into.

To be honest, there's a lot of things that don't need government funding, but free internet isn't the worst one.

Too bad it's not the government funding this. How many people here actually read or even gave a damn about the headline/article?

Though Tom and Cap have legitimate grievances, and other commentators are right in saying that there are people who really need something like this, why the hell was this derailed into a discussion about tax-funded internet access, when this is purely a corporate effort? I'm surprised the bigger issue isn't about how Comcast now has even more power to oppose the efforts of local governments that try to set up municipal ISPs by flexing their corporate/lobbying muscle. w/e

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I'm surprised the bigger issue isn't about how Comcast now has even more power to oppose the efforts of local governments that try to set up municipal ISPs by flexing their corporate/lobbying muscle. w/e
The overarching truth here, is that government doesn't have the technical ability or infrastructure to set up web access in the first place. Accordingly, the tax money needed to fund this effort would doubtless be shunted to private contractors anyway. Squeaky wheels get oiled first, and Comcast's complaining over the matter, could just as well be an attempt to assure themselves a bigger suck on the government's teat.

Can you imagine the average grafty politician setting up a proxy server? Really, the only thing they're trained for, is how to distinguish bull s***ting, from outright lying. And that's a skill actually taught in political science courses.

It's all about taxpayer double jeopardy. 'Cause the pols will just, "kick back", while they're waiting for their "kickbacks".

The "Safelink" free cell phones I linked earlier are government, (taxpayer) funded, but provided by a private corporation. Why would you expect free internet to have a different template from that?

No doubt the statistics are gathered and correlated by (generations) of governmental employees in order to keep them employed lest the semi-skilled hordes join the welfare system for a more intimate acquaintance with society's detritus.

The sad part is it's not only government employees, but there is a heavy presence in the private sector, (read service sector), set up to divert taxpayer funds into the pockets of waiting drones as well.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

It's called hyperbole, sm@rt@ss. He's parroting the same party line I could here on Fox news at this very moment if I felt like killing a few brain cells. *whine whine whine* poor people are only poor because they are lazy, and don't wanna get a job, and are dumber than us middle class people *whine whine whine* And he WORKS for the government. Yippee. Best and the brightest, my behind. Why doesn't he come up with an alternative? Or, for that matter, why don't you? I'll back this initiative because it costs me little money and brings one of the most transformative phenomena to a people who've never had regular access before. I realize you're not going to wake up one morning and find poverty dead and gone just because of the interwebz. But how about the one kid in a hundred who wants, knows, and DESERVES to get the flock outta there, but can't because he or she doesn't have the tools? You (and Tom) are living in a dream world driven by a political philosophy that's been irrelevant since the industrial revolution and just doesn't know it yet. Ugh.

When you miss a point, you really go all the way! It's not hyperbole smart ***. While there is exceptions to every rule, it is fact that when a younger generation is raised by an older generation that is supported by the system, they follow with the same behavior. The so called civic leaders recognize this and speak of it all the time. I stated one simple fact...the rest you made up, and made crass assumptions.

*whine whine whine* poor people are only poor because they are lazy, and don't wanna get a job, and are dumber than us middle class people

I defy you to point to where I wrote , or remotely implied that or anything close to it.

You (and Tom) are living in a dream world driven by a political philosophy that's been irrelevant since the industrial revolution and just doesn't know it yet. Ugh.

That statement takes the ignorant cake. You know nothing about me or what "dream" i may or may not be living. You are typical of someone who knows very little about anything. Angst filled flailing presumption, and no facts. So go ahead and add me to your list of tyrants if you like for pointing out the fact that the system is fraught with abuse and misuse. I guess we should we should avoid facts and realities we are uncomfortable with ey?

Zilliak said:

I would stop ragging on Tom. I don't fully agree with him, but it is true generation after generation of free loading. I came from a military back ground and we were dirt poor for a while, the neighborhoods I lived in were just full of free loaders who found every loop hole they could. This statement, however, is not precedent for all families with low income, just majority in certain areas.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Guest said:

"If you can afford a big screen TV, you don't need food stamps"

Fo sho brotha! Dey Just need bread and water! Dem Expensivce Funai LCD is fo us rich folk ya know !

Well dadgum heehaw thnx my feller tea parrtttty compatriots, ya'll did good job destroying that ol "grand deal" to cut medicares n stuff, instead we won us a nice 'ol downgrade from dis s&p fellas.Not to be conpused with da A&P here?

heeehawwww!

- Future meth lab explosion victim

herpaderp said:

With red and cap failing to even quote properly, I think everyone's been up too long discussing this. Maybe by this afternoon the meth lab 'splosion guy will have already died.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

With red and cap failing to even quote properly, I think everyone's been up too long discussing this. .
How so?
Maybe by this afternoon the meth lab 'splosion guy will have already died.
Sorry, hopes and dreams never come true at a level of personal convenience anywhere close to that state of utter bliss.

herpaderp said:

captaincranky said:

With red and cap failing to even quote properly, I think everyone's been up too long discussing this. Maybe by this afternoon the meth lab 'splosion guy will have already died.
How so?

idk, I just pictured a red-eyed septuagenarian hunched over a PS/2 keyboard & CRT monitor givin the internet youngsters what-fer. But that's just me

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

idk, I just pictured a red-eyed septuagenarian hunched over a PS/2 keyboard & CRT monitor givin the internet youngsters what-fer. But that's just me
That conceivably could be me, in spite of the fact I'm a few years shy of seventy. But how did red incur your wrath?

Besides, my "weapons grade" posts have already been deleted. A curmudgeon's occupational hazard, I suppose.

zelstud said:

Its not very strange, there are just times that stroke of fluke trips in and you are in....

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

idk, I just pictured a red-eyed septuagenarian hunched over a PS/2 keyboard & CRT monitor givin the internet youngsters what-fer. But that's just me

I think captain is probably dividing his time between the rowdy headless chickens and polishing/tweaking his eugenics plan

we federally subsidize the breeding of an entire group of people the country would be better off without...we should probably have sterilized their parents. But hell, hindsight is always 20/20.

...the only problem I can see with it is that there are way too many subgeniuses in the middle classes as well- so if we're going to institute gamma ray emitters at waist height at welfare offices, then we should also be incorporating sterilizers into the seats of German SUV's, TAG-Heuer stockists and Apple stores.

Comcast could make internet visitation of .org and .edu sites mandatory in order to receive the subsidized internet....that should see all the relevant social groups back out on the street committing their usual raft of felonies in no time flat.

/sarcasm ends.

herpaderp said:

That conceivably could be me, in spite of the fact I'm a few years shy of seventy. But how did red incur your wrath?

Never mind, saw a wall of text that looked like he cobbled quotes together, but it seems it's been fixed. Anyways, can't believe one of my generalizations was close. Hey I think this discussion's been derailed again lol.

-EDIT-

Damn you dbz, I thought I had steered him off course in his moment of weakness >

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

...[ ]... but the truth of the matter is this simple; we federally subsidize the breeding of an entire group of people the country would be better off without ".

...the only problem I can see with it is that there are way too many subgeniuses in the middle classes as well- so if we're going to institute gamma ray emitters at waist height at welfare offices, then we should also be incorporating sterilizers into the seats of German SUV's, TAG-Heuer stockists and Apple stores.

As I understand it, the next generation of them is only 2.3 per breeding pair anyway. That makes them almost self sterilizing.

Comcast could make internet visitation of .org and .edu sites mandatory in order to receive the subsidized internet....that should see all the relevant social groups back out on the street committing their usual raft of felonies in no time flat.
Well, you'd have to fix all browsers to randomly select sites from those domains, and then deny permission to leave them for "x" minutes, if you actually wanted that to work. What I meant there was, "to give the illusion of that working".

Never mind, saw a wall of text that looked like he cobbled quotes together, but it seems it's been fixed. Anyways, can't believe one of my generalizations was close. Hey I think this discussion's been derailed again lol.
And by you yourself, no less.

With that out of the way, I'm sick of what I was myself when I was much younger. So, you can imagine just how sick I am of the people who actually are young!

Moving on, most generalizations have a full measure of truth to them. So do many stereotypes. Then there's profiling, another winning tactic...

Guest said:

TomSEA

on August 7, 2011

5:09 PM "Comcast rolls out $10 Internet access for low-income families.."

Let's just keep empowering low-income families to remain that way with every handout imaginable. What's the matter, low-income families can't walk to the library and use the free Internet there?

^^^Really stupid thing to say. I lost a good chunk of respect for Techspot as a whole after reading that.

Saintnsinner said:

I'm with you TomSea, I've got 20 years in the government and that's just the way it is. Tax those that that work and give it to those don't deserve it nore appriciate it. If you disagree your either sucking off the teet yourself or you live in a dream world. Our country is going bankrupt and you bleeding hearts are to blame. I wonder why the founding fathers only wanted to allow land owners to vote??? Could it be they had a vested interest in thier community and thier hard earned money?

Guest said:

Cranky seriously, do you have a life? Are you so afraid to go outside you sit all day in front of your PC monitoring comments? Here's an idea if your area is so bad... MOVE... and please disconnect your internet forever.

Guest said:

Saintnsinner

I'm with you TomSea, I've got 20 years in the government and that's just the way it is. Tax those that that work and give it to those don't deserve it nore appriciate it.

Or, you could stop giving assistance to the poor completely, and you can make up for it by paying their share as well as yours. Good plan.

Thank god you're not in charge.

PS, you sure you're not on assistance? Your spelling and grammar scream public school dropout.

ramonsterns said:

herpaderp said:

Too bad it's not the government funding this.

I was referring to one of the earlier posts, Mr. NotReading.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.