Logitech unveils $40 G-series gaming mouse, the G300

By on August 18, 2011, 11:06 AM

Logitech today announced its next-gen G-series gaming mouse, the G300, promising to give you greater gaming precision and plenty of features at an affordable price. The mouse itself has a 2500 DPI optical sensor that works on a wide variety of surfaces and sports an ambidextrous design that does away with the usual thumb buttons, but still gives you nine customizable controls you can tailor to your gaming or computing needs.

Additionally, the Logitech Gaming Mouse G300 lets you store up to three game or player profiles in its onboard memory, so you can run the mouse without software or move it between computers without having to reconfigure each time. The G300 also includes an on-board lighting system that you can set to one of seven colors for each profile, making it easier to identify which configuration you're using at any given moment.

The included configuration software also works with G-Series keyboards and headsets, so you can create macros once and share them with other Logitech devices. There's no weight-tuning system, interchangeable grips, wireless connectivity or any other perks like that, but with an MSRP of $40 the G300 is a solid option for gamers with simpler needs. Logitech says the Gaming Mouse G300 will be available in the U.S. and Europe in September.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It looks way too cool for $40! =)

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I was thinking the same thing, dang that thing looks awesome for that price

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

+1 Kibaruk, I need a new mouse soon, as the current one (I use with my notebook) is nearing its EOL. May be this one will be a good choice for a 'reasonably priced' replacement mouse

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well I know what upgrade I am going to get next! This is beast! Although the buttons look like they are going to be pain, would of been cool if they were at the side.

£25-30 for a mouse, nice but might get naga instead of this. Right now I have Elecom small laptop mouse .. lol But its pretty sweet lol xD

Panda218 Panda218 said:

I have tried to move away from my Naga, but it doesnt seem possible. I love how it feels and I especially love all those extra keys ^^

Flannelwarrior said:

Looks sweet! I have a wired G500 and before that I had a G5. The G5 lasted about three and a half years before it stopped working.

I've yet to find a mouse more desirable than Logitech's MX 518...

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It does looks pretty good for $40. I might even pick this one up tomorrow, in fact.

I've yet to find a mouse more desirable than Logitech's MX 518...

I had the MX518 and passed on to the G500 and it was well worth it everything i loved plus more precision and universal scroll wheel

One thing this little G300 is missing is the back foward button on the side

MilwaukeeMike said:

No thumb buttons? Interesting that there are more buttons for your middle finger, but don't they realize that the extra fingers we're not already using for buttons are the thumb, ring and pinky. And they put the extra buttons for your index and middle fingers?

Ah... I missed the line in the article about 'Gamers with simpler needs'... like a back button.

It looks sorta fat too. I wish they'd add a couple buttons to their G400... I still think that's their best design.

example1013 said:

I kind of need thumb buttons on a gaming mouse, especially for modern shooters. I can't hold the mouse still, and I especially can't do so while clicking, so sniping is hell unless I remap to the side button.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

lawfer said:

I would love to pick one up tomorrow but the article clearly states it will be available in the US on September =( (And even then I will have to order one from Chile =( )

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Kibaruk said:

lawfer said:

I didn't even read the date. I assumed they released it already. (Didn't actually read the whole article.)

free4rm said:

I have a Logitech G3 laser, this looks like a good upgrade.

Tanstar said:

The G400 is about the same price, so how are they different and why would some want one and some the other?

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Nice looking mouse and the price is pretty reasonable too but I'm concerned the placement of the 4 smaller control buttons which are now on top instead of on the side. Aren't these supposed to be the thumb buttons ?

ElShotte ElShotte said:

Ehh looks good, but like fpsgamerJR62 mentioned above, I hate the fact that the thumb buttons are up on top, because instead of hitting them with your thumb, you have to lift your trigger finger to hit press them and that's a minor drawback. The mouse itself does look very attractive.

what about G400 ?