Microsoft asks for ban of Motorola's smartphones

By on August 23, 2011, 3:00 PM

Microsoft is presenting a case before the International Trade Commission (ITC) in which they claim Motorola Mobility is using technology in their Android-based smartphones that was derived from Microsoft products. The world’s largest software maker is asking the ITC to halt imports of certain Motorola phones.

Bloomberg reports that the trial began on Monday in Washington and that Microsoft claims Motorola infringed on seven patents. Microsoft singled out the Droid 2, Droid X, Cliq XT, Devour, Backflip and Charm handsets among those guilty of infringement. The ITC does have the ability to halt imports if they feel a product violates US patent rights.

“We have a responsibility to our employees, customers, partners and shareholders to safeguard our intellectual property,” David Howard, Microsoft’s corporate vice president and deputy general counsel for litigation, said in an e-mail. “Motorola is infringing our patents and we are confident that the ITC will rule in our favor.”

Motorola is defending themselves against the patent suit and a company spokeswoman said they have also brought legal actions of their own against Microsoft in the US and Europe for the same reasons.

This is the first of what is likely to be many more lawsuits brought upon Motorola Mobility since Google agreed to buy the company for $12.5 billion last week. The main reason Google made the purchase was to acquire a wealth of patents from Motorola Mobility to protect themselves as well as the Android platform. Interestingly enough, Google isn’t named in the complaint.

The judge in the case is scheduled to make a decision on November 4 and the ITC has until March 5, 2012 to complete their investigation.

1977TA said:

Is anyone else having a hard time keeping track of all the lawsuits these days?? Geeeeez. It's a bit ironic that MS is suing after the Google buyout hit the news though.

At the end of the day, it is customers that end up paying for all of this bullshit. Until we can find a cure to rid the world of lawyers we will continue to be shat on from upon high.

Arseholes suing Knobheads at the publics expense, time for a revolution.

Mizzou Mizzou said:

At the end of the day, it is customers that end up paying for all of this ...

You can rest assured that the cost of all this legal activity is passed on to the consumer. Seems like a large percentage of corpoarations are now investing more in their legal departments than R&D.

Its a real shame, just imagine if all the money spent on law suites and "damages" actually went into R&D. I bet these wankers have put us back in technology at least 15 years.

mosu said:

When a tech company hires lawyers instead of engineers, it's the first sign that company is doomed.bye bye Sony, bye bye Microsoft, never wish to see you again Apple!

SammyJames said:

1977TA said:

Agreed. And now MS is acting like Apple...

The most amazing thing is that Microsoft tries positioning itself as an innovator? Since when? Astonishing hypocrisy!

SammyJames said:

I'm just waiting for Linux to become a truly viable alternative to Windows and Mac for music production. It already technically is for audio-only folks -- but if you want to run a synth production station on a Linux platform, you still have to jump through some pretty giant hoops to make it happen.

But maybe by the time that Windows 8 hits the market, about the time when I'm hoping to say goodbye to MS myself, maybe the latest Linux distro will be ready. We shall see...

Panda218 Panda218 said:

I love windows but I ******* hate M$

Microsoft spent 25 years and failed to create ONE reliable operating system.

KG363 KG363 said:

Way to stoop down to Apple's level, Microsoft

Emin3nce said:

I can smell the fear seeping from Microsoft halfway across the globe.

command and conquer__^ conquest of patents!!

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

sammyjames said:

1977TA said:

Agreed. And now MS is acting like Apple...

I think they were just feeling left out.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

Microsoft spent 25 years and failed to create ONE reliable operating system.

Meh, depends on who you talk to. I have found Win7 to be VERY reliable. No freezes, no BSODS, no viruses slipping through MSE.

But to get back on the topic, it has amazed me how many lawsuits have come up this year between the tech companies. It seems like every month it's something new. If I ran a company and found out a competitor was using some of my patents, I would say "hey, pay for the use of that technology or stop using it. Not only does that not make me look like an a$$, but it also means more revenue in my pocket every month. Just give me a certain percentage of the sales of that particular device and I'll leave ya alone.

aj_the_kidd said:

Microsoft spent 25 years and failed to create ONE reliable operating system.

I find windows in general pretty reliable, its not perfect but its good enough

Dont understand all the MS hate right now, tatical lawsuits aint exactly anything new

aj_the_kidd said:

matrix86 said:

Microsoft spent 25 years and failed to create ONE reliable operating system.

But to get back on the topic, it has amazed me how many lawsuits have come up this year between the tech companies. It seems like every month it's something new. If I ran a company and found out a competitor was using some of my patents, I would say "hey, pay for the use of that technology or stop using it. Not only does that not make me look like an *****, but it also means more revenue in my pocket every month. Just give me a certain percentage of the sales of that particular device and I'll leave ya alone.

I think its more "name and shame" type situation, in so that a company can let the pubic know that the other company stole their idea. I'm guessing there is more money to be made from lawsuits then profit sharing, plus companies pay ridiculous amounts of money to lawyers, so they gotta feel like they are getting their money's worth, idk i'm just guessing.

supportme said:

The process of Suing and counter suing had already started a long time ago back in 2010. It is only now the hearing has begun.

[link]

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I can see in five years or so a couple of guys in dark suits are going to knock on your door and ask you to turn over some phone or tablet because of some kind of retroactive ban that just got passed.

Tanstar said:

Are that many Droid 2s and Xs being imported? These are great phones, but last year's models now.

WinXPert WinXPert said:

Everybody's suing everybody be cause of this patents

Firm 1: Hey you stole my code. Pay me for Damages.

Firm 2: Ok, but first let me bleed my customers to dry so I can generate enough dough to pay you.

Lawyer Firm 1 to Lawyer Firm 2: I love these corporations suing each other, Let them sue each other till they're all broke.

Lawyer Firm 2 to Lawyer Firm 1: Cheers. Milking cows for life.

Scott8090 said:

WinXPert said:

Everybody's suing everybody be cause of this patents

Firm 1: Hey you stole my code. Pay me for Damages.

Lawyer Firm 2 to Lawyer Firm 1: Cheers. Milking cows for life.

Ok thats funny as heck. I do disagree with the lawyers inteligence levels though. So many lawyers around they out number annoying nats in florida.

This isn't the first pentent case ms did this year. I remember they sued some person out of the us for a generic controller 360.

Also who ever commented about a junk lot of cases, I totally agree.

It should be noted that Motorola is infringing upon a MS patent that "including ways to synchronize e- mail, calendars and contacts; schedule meetings;" ala Activesync/Microsoft Outlook.

Everyone else pays the license fee except Motorola/Google.

If you want to play with the bigboys (enter smartphone market), you have to pay.

Microsoft & Apple did the same when they entered the smartphone market. Why should Google get a free pass?

Microsoft: Our phones aren't selling very well. It looks like Android/Google will make further progress with the Motorola purchase. Hmmm, lets sue them, that should slow things down a little bit.

Good logic, they would do R&D so that it can be stolen by Google and Apple...insn't that the reason they are suing in the first place? Duh

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Microsoft is bored..They need headlines news to keep them in the spotlight. This is a marketing profit race who can get out quick before the other company. Suing is easy and wining that suit is another question. Icon placement on home screen seems to be more popular today than anything else.

Wa Wa Wa Wa Wa , Wimpy Wimpy Wimpy fagletons are wining again. I wish the hackers would bring them down for good and post their source code and be done with it. OPEN source rocks!!!!!

And so does SSL-VPN connections .