Microsoft asks for ban of Motorola's smartphonesBy Shawn Knight 27 comments
Microsoft is presenting a case before the International Trade Commission (ITC) in which they claim Motorola Mobility is using technology in their Android-based smartphones that was derived from Microsoft products. The world's largest software maker is asking the ITC to halt imports of certain Motorola phones.
Bloomberg reports that the trial began on Monday in Washington and that Microsoft claims Motorola infringed on seven patents. Microsoft singled out the Droid 2, Droid X, Cliq XT, Devour, Backflip and Charm handsets among those guilty of infringement. The ITC does have the ability to halt imports if they feel a product violates US patent rights.
"We have a responsibility to our employees, customers, partners and shareholders to safeguard our intellectual property," David Howard, Microsoft's corporate vice president and deputy general counsel for litigation, said in an e-mail. "Motorola is infringing our patents and we are confident that the ITC will rule in our favor."
Motorola is defending themselves against the patent suit and a company spokeswoman said they have also brought legal actions of their own against Microsoft in the US and Europe for the same reasons.
This is the first of what is likely to be many more lawsuits brought upon Motorola Mobility since Google agreed to buy the company for $12.5 billion last week. The main reason Google made the purchase was to acquire a wealth of patents from Motorola Mobility to protect themselves as well as the Android platform. Interestingly enough, Google isn't named in the complaint.
The judge in the case is scheduled to make a decision on November 4 and the ITC has until March 5, 2012 to complete their investigation.