Physical iPhone 5 mockup built based on collective rumors

By on September 29, 2011, 5:30 PM

German website benm.at has developed a full-scale physical mockup of what they believe the iPhone 5 will look like. The prototype was created based on CAD designs, hardware components, pre-release phone cases and believable user-created designs.

The end result is a very realistic device that is thinner than the iPhone 4 and features a tapered teardrop shape. The teardrop design is thicker at the top of the phone and tapers down towards the bottom. Thickness is measured at 6.86mm at the top and 5.33mm at the bottom.

The back of the shell was machined from a single block of aluminum which was then treated with glass pearls to mimic the rough texture found on the back of the iPad. Gone are the 90-degree edges from the iPhone 4 which are replaced with curved corners like the iPad 2 has.

The prototype is only 1.34mm wider than the iPhone 4. The home button is now an oval shape and is rumored to be capacitive like the rest of the screen. It is believed that a mechanical button like on current iPhones takes away from valuable space inside the device.

The only key element that the designer was unsure about is the camera and LED flash placement. As such, it was left in the current iPhone 4 location on the mockup.

Apple will be announcing the next generation iPhone at a media event in Cupertino on October 4 at 10am local time.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Seriously, it's just a phone...

I love the iPhone, but the sheer, unnecessary attention this device is getting across the web these days is driving my nuts.

Will_m said:

seriously cant believe the effort some people will go to, if the minute differences in case design between each iphone keep you up at night, something is wrong.

Win7Dev said:

Agreed. Yeah their really cool, but its not going to be anything that great when it comes out. People have really high expectations for this, but in reality its just the same phone, but with more ram, better processor, better camera, and a little bit bigger screen. I just don't get why its so hyped for this, but the droid bionic has no publicity at all, and has basically all the features the iphone 5 is supposed to have.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

"The end result is a very realistic device that is thinner than the iPhone 4 and features a tapered teardrop shape."

Taped teardrop? Isn't it a trapezoid?

aj_the_kidd said:

This is Apple we are talking about here people, allot of the things their fans do don't make sense, this hype and craziness is just part of the Apple product release process

Modena said:

Amazing the hype around this device. I'm NOT exactly pro apple and I cannot wait to just finally see this thing. I think I might even buy it too! GG Apple marketing.

SammyJames said:

lawfer said:

Seriously, it's just a phone...

No -- YOU -- DI-UNHT!!! NO YOU DI-UHNT!!!!

Oh now you done it. You just had to go and open up that particular can-o'-whoot-a$$. It is MORE than merely a phone, comrade!!! It is practically an INSTITUTION. It is right up there with the father, the son, and the holy see.

I'm just kidding. You're more than right. In my view, it's LESS than a phone. A phone, in my book, must have one of them thar curly-q cords that runs from the ol' transceiver down to the base. It also must be black, have a 12-button keypad, and a big, bright, red LED lamp to tell me when a call is coming in.

Get Smart or Batman. Your call. But until they can build iPhones into wrist-watches, they can't even get all **** Tracy. Yet.

If that happens though, I fear for the very existence of humanity.

SammyJames said:

And SINCE WHEN does D i c k Tracy get censored...?! Sheesh... come on guys. Give it a rest, would ya?!

D i c k Tracy is a kid's comic book. And a PG-rated movie. Wow. Please -- oh, please...

aj_the_kidd said:

sammyjames said:

For some extreme apple fans this is actually true, well, their comments definitely insinuate it.

Cota Cota said:

Maybe if i made a iPhornografi site i could make good coin i can already picture it, 2 iPhones one cup!

SammyJames said:

aj_the_kidd said:

For some extreme apple fans this is actually true, [religious zealotry combined with gear lust] well, their comments definitely insinuate it.

Sure. I remember the Mac Evangelist. He's probably still out there, although I haven't heard about him in years.

I used to prefer Macs too, until I grew a brain.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Where are the rainbows and unicorns?

Hmm, I think I would like to count the days for an real iPhone 5 release, too many rumors about the iPhone 5 mockup, this one seems different from the one I saw in iFunia news blog, and there are more mockups, so just wait and see what the real iPhone 5 look like.

Arris Arris said:

What a waste of time and money! Can't believe they made their own mock physical iphone5. It's all about getting hits/exposure for their site/group.

im holding out for the iphone12 to be released next summer. I cant wait

jonelsorel said:

Boy.. is this level of consumerist obsession fresh or what! Makes me wish for nuclear winter just to see the snowflakes fall.

tonylukac said:

Sure hope it's 4G for all the hype.

Renrew Renrew said:

Non News is good News?

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Some people just couldn't wait the 4 days to the official announcement huh.

grvalderrama said:

What happened with the phones that just ring, send and receive text messeges?? Good days those...

That website is Austrian, not German. .de is Germany, .at is Austria...

katoDRAGON said:

WAY WAY WAY too much hype on this phone. Great, its got a bigger screen and a tear drop body like the ipod, WHO CARES ENOUGH TO MAKE A PHYSICAL MOCKUP? seriously. This is NOT landing on the moon to have an iphone (well if your talking about pricing, maybe) Just a couple days b4 the opening, im not buying it (sorry about the shouting)

mailpup mailpup said:

Apologizing for shouting does not make it permissible.

Well said sir, there are an almost infinite number of better things to do in one's life than spending all your time guessing what the next iPhone might look like ....