Grand Theft Auto V trailer unveiled

By on November 2, 2011, 11:31 AM

Rockstar Games and Take-Two Interactive have unveiled the highly anticipated trailer for Grand Theft Auto V. The trailer opens with a narrator, presumably the main character, talking about how he wanted to retire from “that line of work” and “get away” from it all. So he bought a big house and moved his family to that city.

That’s right, Grand Theft Auto V brings us back to San Andreas, a fictional state that is based on California, Nevada and Arizona. A closer look at the trailer reveals Los Santos, a city based on real-life Los Angeles as well as several familiar sights from the 2004 hit title, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

We see many staples of previous GTA games in the clip. Custom vehicles, watercraft, aircraft, police chases and of course prostitutes are all present. Unfortunately the clip ends without providing a launch window for the title or any other information regarding the storyline or characters.

GTA V will be the first major release in the series since 2008’s Grand Theft Auto IV and is likely to be one of the best selling games of the year when it’s released. If we had to guess, we’d say that will be sometime in 2012. If the game were coming out for the 2011 holiday season, we would have expected to see a release date attached to the trailer.

How do you feel about the trailer and the GTA series in general? Will you be picking up a copy when it’s released? Let us know in the comments below!

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Buying it, probably on release. Looks like more of what everyone has come to love out of the GTA series.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I can't wait to play it in 2013/2014.

The game looks great. Now all we need is a release date. I typed in http://gtav.com and its a website with information on grand theft auto 5. Is that rockstar games fan site for the game? They have some good details about GTA V. Anyways the graphics looked pretty good and it has me excited!!

So it's San Andreas. I was really hoping for Vice City, too bad. The first scene of the trailer was on the beach I immediately thought Vice City, oh well.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

LOL...the first 2/3 of the trailer look more like "The Sims" than anything else. I'm a PC only gamer and we all know what pieces of crap the previous GTA ports were for the PC. Although I'm interested, I'll wait until it's been released for the PC and see what kind of reviews it gets.

I'll be waiting to read the PC reviews as well before buying. GTA4 was terrible on PC.

~resists overwhelming urge to condescend~

Cool trailer... we'll see how it turns out. I'm not a fan of the series per se, but have enjoyed the games for the most part.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Game has been in development for 3 years, probably going to see it mid/end 2012 or early/mid 2013.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

forgot to add, STOKED! Can't wait for this, looking good although I hope driving wont be as terrible as GTAV.

GTA 4 was fine on PC, then again I did play it with a xbox for windows controller

cant wait for the new one! even though the trailer was poorly executed... in my opinion.

GTA IV ran horribly on PC. Pop-in, flickering, iffy shadows under overpasses specifically, choppy framerate at high detail... I'll wait for the reviews and forums before i touch this game.

The GTA games are some of, no wait, are the best games ever made. I will be, along with my best friend, waiting outside a Gamestop somewhere at the midnight launch for this, like I have with every one that has come out.

GTA 4 was perfect in every way and there isn't a doubt in my mind that 5 will top it in every way. Rockstar Games are legends!!

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

That's probably the saddest thing I've read in a while. Run along child...

gwailo247: +1

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"And honestly, who plays PC games that much anymore? I can't stand playing games on a PC. Nothing like the feel of a controller in the hands. Mouse and keyboards are just not a good quality gaming set up for me!"

LOL...well it's a good thing you have that sweet controller then and all the kids games that go along with it.

DokkRokken said:

I think you guys took the troll-bait hook line and sinker.

Looking pretty nice, though I was secretly pining for a return to the eighties setting. Here's hoping it returns some of the mania and carnage that we all loved in Vice City and San Andreas.

I'd say a controller is better suited for the type of game GTA is, but then again it shouldn't mean they simply have to port the game to PC and not polish it graphic wise or worse, terrible bugs as in IV.

I disagree with those who say GTA IV on the PC is crap. For me it was as playable as any other game with a few tweaks. The menu designs were spectacular and the graphics were a marvel to behold. But then again I'm a big GTA fan. I hope this one is released for the PC too.

IAMTHESTIG said:

4 was poorly ported that is for sure... but with at least 4 GB of RAM and some dedication and time spent on tweaking the game and your PC, you can get it to run well. It may not be worth the effort for some people, but it was for me. I really enjoyed the game, I played 114 hours according to Steam. I hope 5 will be as much fun but we'll see. I have rather specific tastes, I enjoyed the loose focus on realism.

SKYSTAR SKYSTAR said:

great game and great graphics ,but i hope it will not have a lot of bugs like GTA EFLC

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm looking forward to a good pc game ported to be used on consoles, but then again I'm a dreamer.

ikesmasher said:

Dear freaking god, those are the best graphics I have ever seen. At 360p i thought it was an advertisement filmed on a camera.

@ikesmasher: You must be a console player because those graphics aren't even close to ground breaking, they're just acceptable.

Hankhendrix Hankhendrix said:

GTA IV was thee game. Hopefully they can recreate this.

You crazy not to pick this one up!

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Wow it's already been 3 years since GTA IV. Time flies

chaboi390 said:

Can't wait to see Grove Street again XD ... lol

Rasta211 said:

You guys better buy the game, I know you pirated the first 4 series. At least buy one of the games legit people.

caravel said:

I find the pirating of a game series that glorifies criminality, gangs and violence quite ironic in fact...

DanUK DanUK said:

gwailo247 said:

That's probably the saddest thing I've read in a while. Run along child...

Seriously.. ban guest comments already?

I'm buying this game even if it only comes out for Wii.

In other words -- NOTHING short of earth's magnetic field getting blitzed by a solar storm will stop me from buying it for whatever platform it comes out for. Period. The trailer looks so amazing that I'm practically doing jumping jacks in my bedroom while I write this message.

Way ultra super bloody cool.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Trailer looks good.

It is kinda surprising that Rockstar didn't take GTA to a new city (as in name at least) especially after the cries over IV's Liberty. But i suppose as long as it's good (and has better weather than Liberty) the fans won't be moaning. I certainly won't anyway.

jackal2687 said:

I have to admit that I grew up on GTA, but I really wasn't impressed with GTA4 and I will most likely not buy the newest addition. It seems almost like a Halo franchise now, like it's the only way they have a guaranteed paycheck. This is speculation by the way, it just might turn out to be a game changer.