Commodore readies C64x Extreme with Core i7-2720QM

By on November 4, 2011, 8:30 AM

Commodore USA has launched an "Extreme" edition of its modernized Commodore 64. The C64x-EX is priced at $1,499 and comes outfitted with a 2.2GHz Intel Core i7-2720QM processor, a mini-ITX motherboard and power supply, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, a slot-loading DVD burner, a 2TB 7200RPM hard drive, along with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity. The back panel sports a legacy PS/2 port, five USB 2.0 ports (one eSATA combo, two USB 3.0 ports, an Ethernet jack, three audio jacks, as well as HDMI, DVI-D and VGA outputs.

Although $1,499 sounds like a hard pill to swallow for a machine with integrated graphics, Commodore USA says the system is "competitively priced" with keyboard-less nettops like the Mac Mini. It's worth noting that price doesn't include a Windows license. The system supports Windows 7, but it comes with Linux Mint 11 preinstalled and Commodore USA is working on Commodore OS Vision. The C64x-EX is in production now and if you purchase one by November 25, your order is guaranteed to ship by December 15.

In case you missed the announcement last summer when Commodore USA first acquired the rights to produce Commodore 64 replicas, there's also a lower powered Atom-based version. The C64 Ultimate made it to market earlier this year for $999 with a dual-core Atom D525, an Nvidia Ion 2 graphics core, 4GB of memory and a 1TB hard drive. Its rear I/O panel loses the USB 3.0 ports. If you'd rather use your own hardware, there's also a $349 barebones unit with only the nostalgic mechanical keyboard and beige chassis.

Now if they would only produce a replica tape drive I could totally relive my youth.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I fail to see the value, especially at that cost.

The value is in nostalgia. Of course when/if they release Commodore OS Vision, that will make it seem more like the original.

I can see people who grew up with the original buying it for old times sake.

But the question is, will it run Ghosts & Goblins?

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Nostalgia or not, I'm never going to spend $350 on a barebone that doesnt include a MB. I would rather make an HTPC out of a nintendo case.

caravel said:

It is indeed somewhat shockingly over priced...

Placeholder Placeholder said:

Musta found a bunch of leftover keyboards and the marketing department figured out a way to get rid of them...

Run M.A.M.E on it and you will be able to run all of those classic games. Also, they will load in under a second, rather than 30 minutes.

Seems too pricy. If I want nostalgia, I can get an orginal C=64 on ebay for $12. They even had a new in box one for $99, or you can run an emulator.

I don't miss the 10 minute load times or typing in a program from a magazine but sometimes I may miss some of the games like Mr. Do, Ultima 3, etc.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I'll admit I am intrigued.

Win7Dev said:

Kibaruk said:

I still play some nes games from time to time. The original Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. (and SMB 2&3) still work great.

emmzo said:

But the question is, will it run Ghosts & Goblins?

Yes, on max details. By the way an i7 ZX Spectrum woundn't be so bad either.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Looks really crappy... I could build one much nicer for less.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Does anyone else notice that this isn't EMI shielded anywhere but the I/O panel? Don't set your iphone next to it... O_o

This is a dead end, as dead as a dead end gets.

I have a *fair amount* of nostalgia myself when it comes to the C64. It was, after all, my fist introduction to video games. Ever! Great memories! But the concept is flawed and impractical in -oh so- many ways today.

First of all, let's not kid ourselves. This is all about reliving the old times and the old games. Any computer could do that with a emulator program and a crap joystick. And what else is there? Were there really people sitting around coding stuff on this thing? It would be incredibly straining back then, and we have so many ergonomically better suited options available today.

To make this work/sell/have a function/become popular again, it would need to have Windows 7 installed and be able to run today's video games (properly). It would need to have a midrange or high end Nvidia/AMD graphics card to even make it interesting. And even if that happened, it would still be butt ugly and impractical.

They need to drop the integrated keyboard. Seriously, where would you even place this thing? On the floor infront of a TV, like back in the hizzy? No... way! Ouch my back, and stuff. No, you'd have to place it on a computer desk (and try to never spill anything over it). And even so, ouch my wrists, and stuff. Give it a wireless keyboard with a touchpad (like that logitech thing), and maybe a couple game pads while we're at it. Drop the HDD and replace it with a SDD, and upgrade the optical to a Blu-Ray.

The hard drive thing doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I remember me and the other kids would be pulling this thing left and right, dropping it to the floor, lifting and turning it while in operation... etc. That worked back then. But this thing, with a DVD-Rom and a hard drive? Hah.. hahah. So guess it's meant to be a desktop computer, despite it's complete design- and ergonomic failure.

Next up, I'd love to see them (whoever owns Commodore now) try to invent something new, like a hot looking console/case thing with a C64 theme. Hell, maybe it's time to make it a C65 or C128 or somesuch. If this thing could become something like a crossbreed console/media center type computer thing, then it would stand a chance at becoming popular again. After all, that's what we all want, right? We wanna see this old thing make a comeback, and not just be another sad reminder that you can't ever go home again. Man, I just wish they'd do it right.

The barebones type thing is the only aspect of this that I find mildly entertaining. Either way, it's nothing more than a ugly, ergonimically flawed Linux (or presumably Windows) computer. I already have a couple of those.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I wonder how many other PC's suffer from the same so called problem? Not all electronic components need shielding.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

cliffordcooley said:

The metal chassis normally suffices. But this is plastic with no metal sheet. It will be a problem, I guarantee it. I've had cell phones reboot computers that were laid out on diagnostic bench outside of their case.

If you run a emulatir on it for the commodore and boot the rom it will!

Yes, but will it run Crysis?

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yes, but will it run Crysis?
Be the first to buy and then you can tell us, yes or no.

Ummm - then don't buy one? It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on computer design and packaging (or maybe more like what you don't like about other peoples' designs) - maybe you should put out your own line of machines rather than crap all over someone else's effort at making some nostalgic people happy.

Where does one plug in the Jumpman Jr. cartridge?