Weekend Open Forum: What's on your holiday agenda?

By on November 4, 2011, 8:05 PM

With frosty weather taunting the northern hemisphere, it's increasingly evident that the holidays are upon us. We've run various holiday-themed Weekend Open Forums in the past, asking what you want for Christmas and what you purchased during Black Friday. This time around, we'd like to combine those subjects into a single post. Are you watching for a particular item to go on sale? What's on your wishlist? Have any special plans for the holidays?

I can't say I hope to receive anything, but the right-click on my trusty Logitech G5 has started failing today, so I guess I'll be shopping for a new mouse in the near future. Julio is eyeing a Kindle Fire and Pro Evolution Soccer 2012, while Steve has his heart set on a new DSLR camera -- preferably the Nikon D7000. As a side note, we should mention that we're working on our usual holiday giveaway, buying guide and list of most anticipated PC games.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I know it's kind of boring but I'm looking for a TV, nice and big, 120hz preferably.

Staff
Shawn Knight Shawn Knight said:

I have nothing tech-related in my sights, although I wouldn't mind picking up a new pair of sunglasses and some replacement items for my vehicle.

treeski treeski said:

#1 thing on my wish list: a job!

Other than that, on my wish(ful thinking) list...

- Win 7 tablet that I can install Win 8 on for experiments >

- Some DDR3 1600+ RAM

- A suit vest

- A couple Kindle books

Nothin' else in particular I guess. The things I listed are more things I hope to get myself for super cheap sometime this holiday season, and not at all things I'd expect other people to get me.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

An AMD A75 mini itx motherboard by Asus or Gigabyte and a A8-3870 Black Edition APU.

Modena said:

A Crucial M4 128gb SSD, I've wanted to get a SSD ever since they came out.

Modena said:

Oh and also some Logitech Z623 speakers, that would be perfect.

chaboi390 said:

Looking forward to my new PC build... but ill wait for the new IVY and Nvidia cards next year.

Breech said:

Well, it was going to be a bulldozer based system but............yeah.

igotdembombs said:

breech said:

Well, it was going to be a bulldozer based system but............yeah.

lol why? Rooting for the underdog?

I've have enough money to buy a proper computer and I'm going all out on a nice sandy bridge system. If I get everything I want it will have

i7 2600k

HD 6950

90gb - 120gb SSD (I'll use any old hard drive from a laptop or whatever for extra space)

Corsair 500r case, is there a more beautiful case available?

Leeky Leeky said:

Not to sound too soppy but all I want for Christmas is to spend time with my girls. Right now I'm not too sure how much I'll be able to see them, or even where I will be for Christmas. Kinda hard making plans when I don't know for certain what's happening.

Other than that, I'll likely just be grabbing some bargains in the sales for my gaming build. Hopefully I can grab a nice entry eyefinity GPU ready for my everyday computer and if I can get them, some new LED-backlit 22" HD displays to replace my current items - I'd like to go for three 22" models this time, and replace my current 24/22" LG's.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Well I'm currently computer less so building one

I'm waiting for intel x79 chipset to come along, which I heard has been pinned for the 14th, so I can build a system to last.

Other than that? Hoping for some new socks

Jibberish18 said:

Not sure. I was originally going to get everyone a funny T-Shirt but figuring out sizes is going to be a *****. I also got fired a few weeks back so conserving money will be a priority. I was going to get a WinPhone..Phone for myself but not sure if I should.

Mizzou Mizzou said:

Just spend time with the family and gain a few more pounds. Might knock the dust off the X58 rig and install some upgrades I haven't gotten around to for months. Other than that, wishing I had planned a trip to Denver to spend some time with my daughter. She just started a new job and won't be able to make it home for the holidays

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'd like a tablet. Or to ship over my computer from home.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I might get generous and hand out £50 for a new HDD. Windows won't get off my back about space, so i think i'll just give in.

Other than that, because i'm not a 'holiday' type of person, I may have to completely blank it out in front of some PS3 games...Saint's Row: The Third should kill a week, I'll probably start with that.

Intel Core i7-2700k

22-24" LED Monitor (Acer)

32" LED/LCD TV (Samsung; torn because of high cost of local led tv brands/models)

nVidia GTX580

wifi N router with 2 usb ports (for usb 3g dongle and printer)

cheap guitar

night vision goggles

Epson L200 Printer

Nike sandals

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Aside from spending time with my family, I guess Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 will be taking up a lot of my time assuming of course that the pair of EVGA GTX 580 SC cards that I ordered finally arrives. Several of my favorite authors are also releasing new titles in the 4th quarter so I'll also be busy reading my new hardcover novels this holiday season.

A ssd drive and a APR chip for my VW GTI

TeamworkGuy2 said:

Some spare time...

I probably won't get any

Ill be upgrading to a ASUS VE258Q

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Some cash... so I can buy another GTX 460 for Battlefield 3 and Skyrim

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

AKG Q701 (green)

Bowflex Xtreme 2 SE

Then to start saving up for a pair of nVidia's next top single gpu cards - probably 680s.

As far as family goes we're headed to Colorado for a ski trip.

sit back, relax

eat, drink

and watch movies

An AMD FX based system. Can't wait to put those 8 cores to use. :)

matrix86 matrix86 said:

Tech related? I need a decent mic for voice over recording. I can only do so much with the sound quality in Adobe...I need a REAL mic.

Non-tech related? I need a new jazz mouthpiece for my saxophone and some new reeds.

As far as my plans are concerned...nadda. I have NO friends here in Houston, and the only family I do have (parents) are going to GA for two weeks. I just need to remember to be prepared X-Mas day...no restaurants open so I gotta cook for myself :P

a job so i can afford this $7000 in surgery

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

My big priority for the holiday season is getting a new laptop as I really need one. Which reminds me...anyone got some good suggestions? =D

Outside of that, I'm might be looking at an SSD if I can find a good deal.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

No restaurants open in Houston ? That some kind regional thing ? Our restaurant is open Xmas day (brunch and lunch), I'll be putting in an appearance to make sure the staff aren't putting up the "Closed" signs and helping themselves to the bar, but for lunch I'm doing a volunteer shift at the local Returned Servicemans Association ( war veterans social club). Most of the holiday season means work especially Xmas eve and new years eve.

As for "What's on my holiday agenda?" ....surviving with my sanity intact and the continued absence of a police record. Will be putting together a new rig (X79 or Z68) at some stage, tho' it's not a holiday priority.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Thinking I might buy myself a Kindle E-reader. Debated long and hard about it.

New graphics card too if I can afford it. Need a little extra to run D3 well next year.

Atham said:

Convince my parents to get:

A HD 6950 Dirt 3 Edition + (Deus Ex Human revolution free)

A Seasonic X 660

Maybe a new case (least likely)

A new SATA interface DVD Drive.