OCZ showcases Vertex 4 solid state drive at CeBIT

By on March 6, 2012, 3:30 PM

OCZ Technology has unveiled the successor to their popular Vertex 3 solid state drive at CeBIT in Hanover, Germany. Officially known as the Vertex 4, the fourth generation SSD utilizes an Everest 2 controller and synchronous MLC flash memory that’s reportedly good for speeds up to 550MB/s read and 500MB/s write and up to 90,000 IOPS (4K Random Write).

We first saw this Everest 2-based solid state drive at CES 2012 although it wasn’t called the Vertex 4 at that time. OCZ demoed the SATA 6GB/s drive for us in January using IOmeter, CrystalDiskMark and AS SSD and it performed as advertised, consistently outperforming current-generation drives like the Patriot Pyro and Corsair Force 3.

OCZ announced that they were exiting the memory game in early 2011 citing a weakness in the global DRAM industry and rapid growth in the solid state drive market. The company then acquired South Korea-based Indilinx who they previously collaborated with on the original Vertex SSD.

The Vertex 4 is the second drive to utilize technology from the acquisition and the first to use the Everest 2 platform. OCZ launched the Octane SSD in October 2011 featuring the original Everest controller and was notably the first SSD to achieve up to 1TB capacity in a 2.5-inch form factor.

OCZ hasn’t published an official release date for the Vertex 4 but we expect to see units making their way to retailers within the next few months. The drive will be available in capacities up to 2TB.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

wauw, what must a 2TB 2.5inch SSD cost?!

Renrew Renrew said:

$849.00 @ Amazon for 480 GB is as the review says:"Expensive, expensive, expensive, expensive"

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

renrew said:

That is much cheaper than the vertex 3's were I thought?

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

captainawesome said:

wauw, what must a 2TB 2.5inch SSD cost?!

My first thoughts was about $2000.

My second thought was platter drives will be dead within the next 5 years, decade at the most.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

cliffordcooley said:

captainawesome said:

wauw, what must a 2TB 2.5inch SSD cost?!

My first thoughts was about $2000.

Cool send them to me. thx

waterytowers said:

Even with the cost of platter drives going through the roof, I haven't seen any real drop in SSD price I do however see this as a sign that prices may start to come down soon, ie in the next 12 months we may see a small drop. It is the first SSD drive that has focused on an increase in size but no significant increase in speed. It is only when the focus shifts to drive size rather than other improvements that drive prices are likely to drop.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Why is it I'm thinking prices have cut in half, while speeds have more than tripled?

Am I delusional when I see where prices were $2 per GB not long ago and now they are closing in on $1 per GB. Prices may not be matching platter prices but they are changing.

I could be wrong but I do foresee SSD focus shifting from performance to capacity and killing mechanical drives within the next decade. Like I said I could be wrong but definitely don't understand why it wouldn't come to pass. Not when you look at the advancement and adoption of SSD's within the last 3 years.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

cliffordcooley said:

captainawesome said:

wauw, what must a 2TB 2.5inch SSD cost?!

My first thoughts was about $2000.

$1-1.30/GB from what I've heard (i.e. $1000-1300 for the 1TB, $2000-2600 for the 2TB). Still a far cry from the king of the hill.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Considering what I paid for my 600GB SSD I'm fairly certain the 2TB version will be much more than $2k.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

A couple of points to consider:

While the OCZ Octane range uses the same synchronous ONFi that the Vertex 3/Force GT etc. it (the Everest controller) still lags behind other marques in IOP performance.

If/when OCZ actually release the drives (OCZ are on record as saying that until retailers take the risk of ordering the SKU's, they won't be producing them...forget about the 2TB model, try to find a 1TB being stocked anywhere), pricing will depend heavily on the production run, and how far behind the competition they are - we're already seeing a widening range of 2nd gen Sandforce with toggle NAND (Patriot Wildfire, Mushkin Chronos Deluxe, Samsung 830, OCZ's own Vertex 3 Max IOPS) at affordable price points. I'm already wondering what great advantage a 1TB Octane at ~$1300 (OCZ estimated MSRP) affords over a couple of Samsung 830's (512MB) @ $1600 aside from a marginal (at this level) price differential.

Mamoon69 said:

I'll never buy SSDs in this price range. Ma be after a decade or so i'll reconsider.