Weekend Open Forum: What's your all-time favorite video game console?

By on March 9, 2012, 6:00 PM

I received my first video game console nearly 25 years ago, a Nintendo Entertainment System for my birthday in 1987. For the next 12 years or so, I owned nearly every major console released in the US including but not limited to the Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Sony PlayStation and the Nintendo 64.

I was a self-proclaimed video game expert and in the years before widespread internet access, I subscribed to a half dozen or more video game magazines annually to keep up with the latest news and rumors. My loyalty to consoles remained solid until the PC came along and stole my gaming heart.

Looking back over the list of systems I once owned, it’s almost impossible to narrow it down to an all-time favorite. The NES introduced me to gaming and it's titles like Super Mario Bros, Excite Bike and The Legend of Zelda that will always hold a special place in my heart. The original PlayStation brought me Twisted Metal, perhaps one of the best games ever created IMO. And who can forget Sonic the Hedgehog on the Genesis, Donkey Kong Country on the SNES or Super Mario 64 on the N64?

With this week’s WOF, we want to hear about your favorite console of all-time. All things considered, I’d have to go with the SNES as my favorite all-time console. How about you?

Drumroll... my favorite cosole is called a 'puter. :p

perfect dark on N64 :D

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

N64 - great little console that was and so many classic games came out on it.

bounca99 said:

Sega Dreamcast, i loved NBA2k and soul calibur

mosu said:

Wii-keeps me in shape.

atari. many hours of enduro megamania bobby is going home.

classic!!!

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

The Turbo Grafix 16 at the time it was awesome, I kept it and played it till the green boards wore out on controllers.

SNES was great as a kid.

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

NES for me..

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

I've owned quite a few but the one I've enjoyed the most by far is the PlayStation 2. It wasn't the console that mattered though, but the perfect timing, a period when most of my friends would meet to play games and hang around, that kind of thing.

PaulWuzHere PaulWuzHere said:

Dreamcast - Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure... so many reasons to love it.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Tossup between the SNES and PS2, though I had far more games and playtime on the former. I have great memories playing Crazy Taxi on the Dreamcast as well, Paul. Good times.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

That's a tough one... Dreamcast was certainly a great console and was incredibly underrated if you ask me; I still have mine too. I guess DC followed by either PS2 or first gen Xbox. Halo plus XBC owned my life for a little while... until I found HL2 and PC gaming. Before that I didn't really get into PC games.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

For me it is definately the ps2, I'm not old enough to know anything before the N64, my first console was a N64 and ps1 at the same time, but I enjoyed metal gear solid more than mario and stuck with it, then the ps2 came out and that really was a great system, to this day I still have all my ps2 games and controllers and the console itself and I still have a play on it every now and again. Until the little buggar dies I'm going to be rocking my ps2 for plenty of years to come!

rvnwlfdroid said:

There are two that are carved into me. 1. Intellivision, a ton of good memories. I remember as a kid the selling point (so my parents/dad would buy it) was the Horse Racing game. My parents owned a bar and after closing he and a few of his friends would place bets on the horses. The second one would be snes and super mario. After getting it me and a friend played hookie from everything and played it straight through.

veLa veLa said:

PS2, but I'm a PC guy

I've owned every Nintendo home console. NES, SNES, N64, GCN, and Wii. A couple years ago I tainted myself and purchased an Xbox 360. Though I only ever use my Xbox 360 as a Windows Media Center extender lol.

My all time favorite system is the SNES. Even to this day I play SNES games using emulators lol

The majority of my gaming time is on PC though.

Dreamcast

It was the most fun I have ever had playing games. Sonic Adventures and fur fighters are still at the top of my list of favorite games.

aspleme said:

I have to say the computer. It is far more versatile than any console, and I like the controls and freedom (to change controls and settings) that you get in PC games. The only consoles I own are an old Genesis that I picked up out of nostalgia (I had a good friend who had one when I was a kid) and a Gamecube that I picked up so I could play Soul Caliber, Spiderman (both 2 and Ultimate), and a couple others.

In my opinion, the only problem with the PC is that a lot of game developers ignore it.

Philips G7000 - Laser Wars was the bomb

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Quite frankly, after staring at the screen for 2 minutes, I've come to the realization I don't have a favorite console. They were all good parts of my long childhood. It's equivalent to ask what type of candy you liked the best back then. Not an easy task. I'd prefer to list my favorite games on my favorites consoles from each generation; it's easier that way.

For me, back when I had my NES, I remember I borrowed a NES Zapper from a friend, and it was fun as hell with: Duck Hunt.

When I had my SNES the best one had to be: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. (Although Super Mario World is a <I>very</I> close second.)

When I had my N64: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. (GOAT)

When I had a PS: Valkyrie Profile.

When I had a PS2: Final Fantasy X.

And now, well, I'm a PC guy. My girlfriend has nearly convinced me to get a PS3, as she now wants a Blu-Ray player. Who knows, I might buy one or two games if I get one. Sadly, however, things have changed; companies are now more about day-one DLCs and monetizing on players than delivering meaningful experiences like the games I listed (well, <i>except</i> Duck Hunt as for a meaningful experience, but you get the point).

stan4 said:

I'll have to go with the 64, I guess I had the most fun with it pwning my school buddies in GoldenEye, also racing and kart battling with my brothers in MarioKart was priceless, lol now that I think about it I remember playing RainbowSix with a neighbor and of course the endless nights playing Zelda.

Been a PC guy for 2 years now, I rarely turn on my 360.

ikesmasher said:

Probably the SNES, n64, or gamecube. For multiplayer purposes ( had to play with 3 brothers) probably the n64. Donkey Kong 64....what a freaking AWESOME game.

SE-GA! I'm talking about the Genesis/MegaDrive, of course.

The original Playstation was also very neat.

Aboutto said:

Computer was the first for me, any one remember LHX attach chopper? Oh I hated when I couldn't find the book for the answers to first get into the game lol

mrtraver said:

Out of the ones that I have owned (Atari 2600, SNES, Xbox) and played (intellivision, colecovision, odessey, NES), the 2600 was probably my favorite. I probably spent more hours on that than all other consoles combined, but part of that was my age, when i didn't have a job or kids to raise so I could devote much more time to it. And this was when Activison still made good original games, before Bobby Kotick took over and made the name synonymous with evil and franchises. I got my SNES too late in it's life cycle, when very few new games were being released. I got my Xbox because it was cheaper than a new gaming PC, but I had already been playing space sims and FPS on my PC and just never really got into the Xbox.

Korn007 Korn007 said:

Sega Saturn all day ever day. Rolllinngggggg startttttt, gotta love daytona usa, virtua fighter the first 3d fighter to use polygons and virtual on was the best damn game ever. But im a pc fan since the 3dfx days to show my age a bit.

Dreamcast (with Soul Calibur) ftw.

tkeys356 said:

Nintendo- F-Zero all day

R3DP3NGUIN R3DP3NGUIN said:

SNES and N64 where my most memorable, PS2 however was my favorite. 360 when it first came out was good but then PC finally took over my life.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I still have my Dreamcast and SNES. But he DC gets the nod as my favourite console ever, it created the whole idea of online play (albeit on a dial up connection at the time).

INTELLIVISION, I think there's two L's in that :P

Then Coleco Vision, not sure if I got the spelling right on that one either :)

daweimon said:

My first PS1, the phat one. Final Fantasy 7 was my first game. sogood.jpg

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Sega Saturn + 4-in-1 Cart + Import fighting games = pixel perfect arcade ports. My all time fav right there! I've been gaming pretty hardcore for many years now and nothing has compared to my joy when I would overnight my games from Japan and the UPS or Fedex man would ring my doorbell.

Surkitz Surkitz said:

Kind of a long post but I dont care cause this is definitely something that has been intertwined throughout my life.

I, like the author, got my first NES system back in 1987, i was 6 at the time. I was lucky enough to actually get the one that had the robot you could control to go with it. The robot malfunctioned, according to my parents and took it back to the toy store and bought a SEGA system, not the genesis, but the 8 bit system before 16 bit was the cool. Remember Altered Beast? Good game. Kinda scary too for a 6 year old. Something happened with it too, so my parents got another NES system again but no robot included. That system stayed with me and my brother from 1988 to when we sold it and all 25 games in 1995. Why? the SNES came, and consumed me until the 64 came along and held me all the way through high school.

Something happened though between nintendo and snes: The computer. Dad bought a Packard Bell with a NEW 386sx processor in it. I had a tank game at first and then came Doom on 3.5 inch disks. The game didnt play though, and i didnt understand that. i thought any computer could play any game. I remember the MSDOS prompt saying "not enough physical ram to execute" This started my obsession with pc parts and upgrading. I was 10 and began opening up computers to see whats inside.

Anyway, i digress. One interesting system that i got that was on its way out was the Sega Saturn. i was impressed with cd technology at the time and that you no longer needed cartridges but cd discs to play on this. The sound was incredible on a sega saturn. I had mortal kombat 3 for it and it was just like the coin op game at the arcade! I ended up selling it to a younger kid at the time. I just lost interest because of the very few games produced for it and i ended up only buying 5 games for it.

original xbox was fun, but mainly for halo. Other titles were good but thats the main reason i bought it.

I bought a wii 2 years ago but seldom play it. It seems too kiddy for me.

I never bought a 360. I never owned a sega genesis, game cube, ps1 or 2, 3. And strangely, the PC is the one thing I still enjoy playing games on. i just bought a new gaming rig and i have the latest titles right now and love it. nothing compares. Even my old packard bell days with Doom and Wolfenstein were some of the best gaming days.

MCJeeba said:

I've loved and owned just about all of them, but none of them compare to the nostalgia I have for my Dreamcast. I was never so completely obsessed and excited with a platform before it, and haven't been since. I'm on my third one... And still a moderator/regular poster at www.dcemulation.org

techf1end said:

well i guess snes and nes here since they were my first consoles. but my pc is my new console lol

Once I switched over to PC gaming, I never went back to my consoles.

I never thought any of them were that great to be honest.

Gotta go with the Atari Lynx. Most underrated console of all time and it completely pwned the gameboy and sega game gear. I still remember playing switchblade 2 but I can't ever remember playing switchblade.

Mine was pong. Still have it. Circa 1978,

darkzelda said:

SNES and N64... Two games I love still now where release for those systems. Nowadays consoles are just trying to copy a PC without success that's why stay with my pc.

Raswan Raswan said:

N64. Not even close.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

i loved a few consoles but the PS1 was my favorite because of games like final fantasy 7,8,9 the first MGS, Legend of dragoon, and many many more. I also loved the sega saturn which i still own. the SNES and PS2 round out the ones i loved the most. Currently love my PS3 and Mass Effect 3

yRaz yRaz said:

Favorite game console? N64. Many hours playing super smash brothers, Golden eye and perfect dark.

My favorite platform is PC though, always has been. PC and Freespace 2...that game still gives me chills... Best game ever made IMO

My first console was NES and had some fun times with ghosts and goblins, contra and mario among other games but, my fav was SNES becuase of mortal combat. Dang brings back memories.

ColecoVision was the best for me. It had many Nintendo games and also had the adapter to play the Atari 2600 games. Lets not forget about the steering wheel controller or the sprots controllers..GREAT SYSTEM!