Legal documents hint at Xbox 720 release date

By on May 25, 2012, 8:30 AM

The release date of Microsoft’s next generation console, commonly referred to as the Xbox 720, has been the topic of speculation for some time albeit with little to evidence to back up claims. But thanks to some legal documents that were recently uncovered in a court case, we now have a pretty good idea of when to expect the successor to the 360.

The dispute involves former members of Activision with regards to the Call of Duty franchise. The paperwork speaks of a new game called Destiny that is due out on the Xbox 360 and the 720 in the fall of 2013. The contract specifically called Microsoft’s next console the 720. Furthermore, the duo will release the game on the PlayStation 3 and the PlayStation 4 in the fall of 2014.

Bungie left Microsoft in 2007 and started working with Activision in 2010, hence their involvement in the proceedings. The documents came to light earlier this week via the Los Angeles Times but a writer for the Seattle Times put together the pieces of the puzzle.

A fall 2013 release would put the 720 in line with the always-lucrative holiday buying season and Destiny could very well be a lunch title. If you remember, Bungie produced Halo as one of the key launch titles for the original Xbox in 2001.

This is the most solid evidence we have seen to date regarding the next-gen console. Otherwise at this point, all we know is that Microsoft won’t be showing any new hardware at this year’s E3 gaming conference.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Too bad I have no reason to buy either Xbox720 or PS4, my computer already is faster, period. What I am looking forward to is games being made for the new hardware so current console can stop holding things back.

venomblade said:

<p>Destiny could very well be a lunch title. haha- I take it that it will be as short as the other COD games then :P</p>

EXACTLY how I feel.

venomblade said:

Oops, messed up, meant to quote Adhmuz.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

HAHAHA jesting that they actually meant to put "lunch", priceless :P

No next flop 720 for me I'll stick with my PC.

Please...I am sick and tired of the overheating issues with the white xbox 360. I will wait at least a year an a half for the early adopters (guinea pigs) to test it out. Then I may consider purchasing.

xplayer xplayer said:

I think because of the Motorola Microsoft will be forced to lunch the xbox 720 next year and also they may integrate the xbox 360 into the PC with windows 8