Microsoft to use 'Windows 8' as replacement for 'Metro' branding

By on August 10, 2012, 9:00 AM

Last week we learned through a leaked internal memo that Microsoft would be doing away with the Metro branding to describe the user interface in Windows 8. It is believed that Microsoft would face copyright infringement issues from German retailer Metro AG over the use of that word and according to the memo, employees were told to reference the interface as the Windows 8 style UI.

According to unnamed sources as reported by ZDNet’s Mary Jo Foley, Microsoft will simply use “Windows 8” as the branding for everything that was once known as Metro. For example, “Metro-style applications” will now be called “Windows 8 applications,” and the “Metro user interface” will be called the “Windows 8 user interface.” It’s a subtle naming scheme but one that could further help to build the Windows 8 brand as a whole.

To further lend credit to her source, Foley highlights the fact that Lenovo’s product page for the recently announced ThinkPad Tablet 2 uses the phrase “Desktop and Windows 8 Apps.”  Based on this, it’s safe to assume that mobile apps will be known as Windows 8 Apps and traditional desktop applications will simply be Desktop Apps.

Furthermore, the same naming convention will reportedly carry over to Windows Phone, meaning the Metro interface will now be known as the “Windows 8 interface” on Windows Phone devices.

As Foley points out, it’s a bit surprising that Microsoft wasn’t able to or wasn’t willing to try to come to an agreement with Metro AG to use the word. After all, the Metro UI name has become synonymous with Windows 8 leading up to its launch later this year.

wastedkill said:

How it was "Use Metro in windows 8!" how it is now " use Windows 8 in Windows 8!" lol I find it funny how much stuff is copyrighted and they could have got a bit of advertisement

They should have replaced "Metro" with "Unproductive."

"Metro-style applications" would be "Unproductive applications."

"Metro user interface" would be "Unproductive user interface."

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Its kind of a smart move if you think about it. By having Metro be something that is on top of the Windows 8 interface, it implies that a) its something different and b) its something that can be removed.

Since its integrated into the OS, and it cannot be removed, they're just acknowledging that its part of the OS, like it or not.

KoJoT1234 said:

Completely agree with you, gave the preview version a 2 week test drive, it simply does not do a good job. It slows you down and is totally NOT a corporate environment OS. Will stick to 7 unless they patch this "let's give users a hard time" feature.

treeski treeski said:

I've been using Win8 as my primary driver at home for a couple of months and on a VM at work... I haven't noticed any loss of productivity beyond the first week.

I bet everybody except Microsoft will still call it Metro, but MS has now covered themselves.

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

Well then Win 9 will use Windows 8 UI or are they going to create a whole new UI for every new release of Windows.

I really don't know what Steve Ballmer is still doing as CEO of MS.

@treeski: You were probably never very productive to begin with.

treeski treeski said:

@treeski: You were probably never very productive to begin with.

Ohhhh man, you're a clever one!

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

And here I was pulling for Moronic UI, oh well leave it to Microsoft to take something different and brand it under the same Windows name. Oh well, there's always Windows 9 to look forward to, or not...

Chazz said:

Windows 8 UI? More like Windows AINT UI!!

Am I doing it rite?!?!

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It will always be the Metrosexual UI to me.

You folks claiming you lose productivity because of Metro are just outing yourselves as someone who has never even used Win8. You don't have to use Metro. Anyone that has tried Win8 knows this. I use it daily and only see Metro when I want to (which is rare).

pmcardle said:

I agree, metro (or Win 8 UI) only appears on bootup,which by the way is smokin fast, and then I never see it again. I then get the bentifit of using a much improved, optimised OS. Don't see what all the fuss is about with people complaining. I guess some people can't handle change.

I wonder if MetroTwit will become Windows 8 Twit.

You know there's something wrong when an OS has two desktops to do one job... Yes now it takes two desktops to open Microsoft word....

So this is what happens when Bill Gates leaves the company.... We're all doomed!

Censorship? What did I say? Why was my post deleted? I guess I proved why there is no benefit in Windows 8 over Windows 7 so you deleted my post. Nice...

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Why was my post deleted?
There are several reasons why a post is deleted. Posting the truth is not one of the reasons.

Gamesinner said:

Now they just need to get rid of the Metro interface and maybe they won't have another Vista on their hands.

They should just call it "Hetro" and be done with it.

ikesmasher said:

I dont care about metro if its optional, what I care about is the omission of the start menu. THERES NO REASON MS CANT ADD BOTH.

Doctor John Doctor John said:

Actually, there is a start menu, you just right-click at the bottom left corner of the desktop (just where the Start button should be!) and it pops up (I don't actually like Windows 8 at all but I remembered that from trying it out - prefer 7/XP/Linux as it happens)

ikesmasher said:

thats not a legitimate start menu. Its something which is better then nothing but theres no reason they shouldnt make a dedicated start menu.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

File Manager (Windows)

File Manager is a file manager program bundled with releases of Microsoft Windows between 1990 and 1999.[1] It was a single-instance graphical interface, replacing the command-line interface of MS-DOS, to manage files (copy, move, open, delete, search, etc.). No program closely similar to File Manager was included in Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0 and later versions; instead the more general Windows Explorer was introduced, with file management via a 2-pane view different from File Manager's, and a single-pane view obtained by clicking a "My Computer" icon.

sapo joe said:

They should have replaced "Metro" with "Unproductive."

?Metro-style applications? would be "Unproductive applications."

?Metro user interface? would be "Unproductive user interface."

Where is the "like" button on this thing?? LOL

sapo joe said:

It's booting fast because you've just formatted your PC from an old Windows installation. Fresh install Windows 7 SP1 x64 and live the dream without having to deal with the lego-style UI.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

This is the last constructive post I make on the subject.

"Constructive" implies that the post imparts some useful purpose for people other than yourself. I see two paragraphs detailing self-importance, followed by a whine.

Surely an important web personality such as yourself would register under your actual name to make the point ( free advertising and all that), unless I'm missing something?* I presume you aren't the editor of your TOP5000 site: "My initial post was which was deleted was on topic"

/*rhetorical. I lost interest as finished that last sentence

1 person liked this | mailpup mailpup said:

@Guest. Subsequent 20+ consecutive spamming of the forums with identical messages and links legitimize your claims? Such behavior belies the credibility of your protestations of innocence.

I began having issues auto logging into Techspot I think when I upgraded to Firefox 3, no idea if the issue was related to Firefox 3 or if something changed with Techspot around the same time. We're at version 14 now, and I admit I haven't tried logging into my account for a long time. I've made my peace with it and have accepted my presence as a guest on the site.

I also enjoy taking on different personas and responding to myself. I think I would make a good schizophrenic person.

I won't comment on the young comment apart from this comment. As for the getting the upper hand comment, that's like trying to win on the internet, it'll never happen. I'm more interested in people learning commonsense. If you want someone to refrain from doing something, don't play jedi mind tricks, tell them with words. It's mindboggling, I know. It's like dealing with women, they expect you to know what you did wrong.

Unfortunately people are stubborn by nature. Obviously I am as I have and will continue with this one sided debate... The moderator will continue deleting my posts without explaining his actions, and I will continue my endless battle.

At least it's not only my posts being deleted now. But it's because you replied to mine.

1 person liked this | mailpup mailpup said:

Your original post was deleted as spam. While not all of it was necessarily spam, if any part is judged to be spam, the whole post is typically deleted. Your subsequent spamming has not established any evidence to the contrary.

Doctor John Doctor John said:

How is it not legitimate? By whose definition?

@mailpup: "While not all of it was necessarily spam, if any part is judged to be spam, the whole post is typically deleted."

Thank you. While my post was misconstrued as spam, it wasn't. I was only explaining my experience.

Starting with how I had initially been bashing Windows 8 without trying it. And how I finally took one of those Windows 8 defense posts seriously and decided to give the OS a fair shot. After using it for a few hours, I couldn't get passed the question "Why?", "Why use Windows 8 over Windows 7?" (on a desktop). Windows 8 feels solid, as if it's Windows 7 SP2 with a new theme, however Metro feels like a bloatware application. Not that it performs poorly, it performs well for its purpose, tablet computing. On a desktop however, it's only slowing you down. I also found searching for files in Metro does not search your entire computer like the Start Menu in Windows 7 does.

After discovering a software for Windows 7, Windows 8 appeared even more irrelevant. Rather than leaving my post as a complete rant, I brought up how this software brings a prominent feature from Windows 8 to Windows 7 and improves upon it. I then went on to link to the software page.

Thinking about it now however, that could look like an elaborate introduction leading up to an advertisement. :x

Doctor John Doctor John said:

How is it not legitimate? By whose definition?

Does anyone else know what is illegitimate about this start menu? This guy (ikesmasher) seems to have made a baseless assertion, but I'm always open to reasonable opinion?