Nintendo Wii U coming to the US November 18 for $300 and $350

By Lee Kaelin on September 13, 2012, 3:00 PM

Nintendo announced yesterday that its next-gen game console will launch in Japan on December 8, with a basic and deluxe console available from 26,250 yen. Today, the company revealed that the US will receive the Wii U even earlier, as the system is set to hit shelves on November 18.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed in a pre-recorded video streamed online yesterday that both consoles will have 2GB of RAM, which will be split in half for game memory and system memory. Games will load from a proprietary optical disc that can store up to 25GB of data and read at 22.5MB/s. It will consume a maximum of 75W, though Iwata said the average power consumption is around 40W.

Two versions will be available: the basic model in white will cost 26,250 yen in Japan and $299.99 in the US, while the deluxe in black will cost 31,500 yen and $349.99. Aside from the difference in color, both share the same hardware and only differ in storage -- the basic has 8GB and the deluxe has 32GB. The cheaper console comes bundled with a Wii U Gamepad, AC adapter and HDMI lead, while the pricier unit adds NintendoLand, a console stand, and a GamePad charging cradle.

The 6.2-inch touchscreen GamePad controllers will available to purchase separately complete with AC adapters, as will the two stands that ship with the deluxe model. Those that prefer to use traditional gamepads can purchase the Xbox 360-style Wii U Pro Controller or even reuse existing Wii Remotes and Nunchuks with the new console.

Two games were revealed during yesterday's announcement, New Super Mario Bros. priced at 5,985 yen and Nintendo Land for 4,935 yen. The press event this morning revealed more titles, including 007 Legends, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, NBA 2013, Wipeout 3 and more.

Nintendo also unveiled TVii, which is said to be "the most different non-gaming initiative Nintendo has ever introduced." Using the GamePad, users will be able to scan TV listings from YouTube, Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime in addition to their DVR and live TV. Users can customize their view lists by adding favorite shows and they can even watch trailers. Nintendo TVii will be available in Canada and the US at no additional cost.

likedamaster said:

So is it 250 & 300 or 350? I thought it was 300 & 350. Don't be like Joystiq with their half-ass reporting please. Thank you.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I haven't owned a console since the N64. I might be interested in this one as it's backwards compatible to Wii games and there's a huge catalog of games already available.

I'm not interested in XBox or PlayStation consoles because they play crappy versions of PC games and I already have a gaming PC.

drpepperdude drpepperdude said:

Yeah it is 299.99 and 349.99 in the US!

Cueto_99 said:

I saw the videos of the controller in action... It looks to me like a tablet with joysticks... Although one thing I noticed was too much lag between finger action and screen reaction! I'm used to a snappier response from my touch screen devices...

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

It's $300 and $350 I believe. Don't know where TS is getting their information

ikesmasher said:

If the pro controller is compatible with all games, ill consider it

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

I haven't seen a single thing I like about Wii U. After the Wii let me down so completely, I have little faith in another Wii.

Leeky Leeky said:

So is it 250 & 300 or 350? I thought it was 300 & 350. Don't be like Joystiq with their half-*** reporting please. Thank you.

Sorry, was an honest mistake. I have corrected it now, and to confirm:

It's $299.99 for the basic, and $349.99 for the deluxe (also referred to as premium) version. See here: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/buynow/

It's $300 and $350 I believe. Don't know where TS is getting their information

From several very reliable sources, but I typed a 4 instead of a 9 and failed to notice it.

You have my apologies for that, and the confusion caused.

Docnoq said:

Really? Only 2GB of RAM on a brand new console? That was standard in PCs back when the last gen came out. Assuming this is expected to last ~5 years, that is pitiful.

Terrible specs aside, I may look to grab one at launch for speculative purposes. Made about $100 just flipping the Wii on eBay when it was released.

Interesting. A 40watt average power consumption is really good.

1 person liked this | likedamaster said:

Sorry, was an honest mistake. I have corrected it now, and to confirm:

It's $300 and $350 I believe. Don't know where TS is getting their information

You have my apologies for that, and the confusion caused.

Apology accepted. You will remain on my homepage for now. :-P

likedamaster said:

[spoiler] Wanted to see if no spoilers worked[/spoiler]

System sounds interesting. Will hopefully get my hands on one if I could.

ikesmasher said:

well considering its 4x more than what the 360 has...

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

Well to be fair, Microsoft has managed to make a console with 512MB of RAM last 7 years and games are still very much playable.

1 person liked this | Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

Sorry, was an honest mistake. I have corrected it now, and to confirm:

You have my apologies for that, and the confusion caused.

Honest mistake. Although it would have been nice for you to be right and they launch it at $249 instead.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

well considering its 4x more than what the 360 has...

Well it's really twice what 360 has, since only 1GB is used for games.

Leeky Leeky said:

Apology accepted. You will remain on my homepage for now. :p

Thanks. If it makes you feel better, pre-orders in the UK are going up for availability on November 30 with the basic at £259.99 and the deluxe at £309.99. That's $421.65 and $502.74 in your money, according to Game UK. Prices are the same at Play.com as well.

Prices in the UK really do suck.