Sharp mass producing 5-inch, 1080p, 443 PPI displays for smartphones

By on October 1, 2012, 2:30 PM

Sharp is setting the bar pretty high for next generation smartphone displays. The Japanese multinational corporation announced today that mass production of 5-inch 1080p displays began late last month with plans to increase production through October.

The new display features a true-to-form 1,080 x 1,920 resolution at an astounding 443 pixels per inch. For comparison, Nokia’s upcoming Lumia 920 uses a 4.5-inch display with a PPI of 332 while the 4-inch screen on the recently released iPhone 5 (which Sharp helped create) has 326 pixels per inch. The company says a new pixel design and reworked manufacturing process typically used for large LCD television screens made the display a reality. The panels are described as being 1.3 times better than the industry standard and among the best in the world.

"By providing ultra-detailed LCD panels to support the growing worldwide demand for smartphones, Sharp will contribute to smartphones with increasingly higher quality images," according to a statement released by the company.

Earlier this year LG announced a similar feat with their 5-inch 1080p smartphone display. Their LCD panel is based on AH-IPS (Advanced High Performance In-Plane Switching) technology but has a slightly lower PPI rating of 440. We’re still waiting to see this panel hit the market which is expected sometime before the end of the year.

No word yet on which handset manufacturer will be the first to ship a device using this high-res display. Sharp will be showcasing the new 5-inch display at this year’s CEATEC trade show in Japan. That event kicks off on October 2 and runs through the 6th.

Gareis Gareis said:

Wow, 5 inch screens on a phone?? No thanks.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

It is not a 5 inch square. It is about 0.25 inches wider and 0.33 inches longer than a 4 inch screen.

But, I am sure when Apple puts it on their next phone, you will think it is perfect.

1 person liked this | BMfan BMfan said:

That's just stupid for a phone.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

No one is making you buy one. If your like yours being small, then just keep buying the small ones.

Not stupid at all, I have developed an issue with one of my eyes resulting in significant vision loss, I'll gladly take a phone with more "screen" real estate.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

That's just plain awesome for a phone.

Newsflash! This just in!

1080p isn't that high of a resolution anymore!

Only been like this for um... several years.

I like to see someone force all the corporate owners with a stranglehold on a market to actually do some work besides cashing in on low resolution screens and technology we've had for 10 years. Like the screen on my Droid 4. Pathetic resolution.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

This is a great news in all, just not a news in itself. This was known to be cooked for a while now. Just an inevitable logical step for any future phone to have 1080P resolution. 5" factor is perfect for this.

In the light of this and some reports saying that Galaxy Note 2 display isn't as good as S3 because of much smaller PPI, I may wait yet again, till 1080P phones come out, which will start in the end of this year. Mass production of the new panels means the new 1080P phone will lavish the market in the coming year.

1 person liked this | Gareis Gareis said:

Actually, I am not a fan of apple.

p51d007 said:

I've had 2 of the 5" screen phones (I use BT 100% of the time). Once you get use to a 5" screen, hard to go back to a small screen.

Wow, 5 inch screens on a phone?? No thanks.

2 people like this | Guest said:

I would love a 5" screen but only if it had a 0.1" bezel, that would be wicked. And 1080p on a 5" screen... that's nuts.

KbloodyK KbloodyK said:

Actually, I am not a fan of apple.

I freaking hate apple!

veLa veLa said:

I think I'll go with a Samsung AMOLED display instead. They really just are so lush and saturated, the depth of the blacks blows any LCD out of the water.

avoidz avoidz said:

I agree, they are really nice screens.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

I would take the colour accuracy over colour saturation any day --> [link]

Furthermore, I hope the 1080p Sharp displays are going to get as good results in reviews as the one linked above.

veLa said:

UNLESS you sit in a sun outside. I own SGS3 there are 3 problems about this phone:

1st ofc battery

2nd screen is so bad in a sun you need to cover it to make shadow and be able look at it like at phone screen rather then mirror.

3rd If the phone lies somewhere and you wanna lock it using 2 fingers you most likely hit sound adjustment along with a lock button .....

Emexrulsier said:

Yeah like alreayd mentioned it isn't stupid at all provided they can virtually eliminate the entire bezel. Take for example a SGS2 this is almost 5.5 inches on the diagonal this would leave them a whole .5 inches to work with. This is where it would become tricky though as you would have to fit things like a speaker, camera and hardware buttons in a limited space. People though have already proven they will buy bigger phones so it may not actually be a problem

Gareis Gareis said:

I'm just saying, I'd kind of like to be able to fit my phone in my pocket, holsters aren't my thing.

I own a SGS3 too. I don't have those problems you have. when you view under the sun you put it on auto adjust and you'll see the screen easily. I used the phone for 6 hrs today (camera, calls, txt etc) and it still has 60% left.