Raspberry Pi Model B now ships with more RAM, same $35 price

By on October 15, 2012, 2:00 PM

Answering to the cries of tinkerers worldwide, the Raspberry Pi foundation today announced you’ll be able to get their credit card sized computer with double the amount of RAM. But rather than launching a new and more expensive model they’ll just tweak the current one and keep the $35 price tag.

The revised board will feature 512MB of RAM in addition to all other elements of the Raspberry Pi Model B, including the same Broadcom processor, two USB ports, HDMI-out, an SD card slot and an Ethernet port.

Requests for a memory upgrade have been among "the most common suggestions" the foundation has received since it launched the Pi. The extra memory will be useful for those who want to use the Pi as a general-purpose computer, with multiple large applications running concurrently, and it should enable higher performance applications or embedded use cases to run smoothly.

Customers with an outstanding order for the Model B will receive the upgraded version in place of the original 256MB model they ordered ordered. Units should start arriving in customers’ hands today, and a firmware upgrade will be made available in the next couple of days to enable access to the additional memory.

Originally, the Raspberry Pi Foundation had set out with the idea to reignite programming in schools with a cheap ($25-$35), compact computing platform that kids could buy themselves. But despite targeting students, the foundation's tiny computer quickly captured the imaginations of DIYers worldwide. We had the chance to chat with Eben Upton back in May about this non-profit project born in the UK.

Gareis Gareis said:

These guys are going to be mad..

[link]

jacques said:

I want that pi

Nah, no reason for them to be upset. The pi's next to useless compared to even low-end 'real' systems in terms of doing REAL work.

But from the perspective of using it as a learning platform for how to program such a "supercomputer," it's fantastic, and continues to be fantastic without the extra RAM.

Plus, this is a fact of life for geeks. Buy something today, and within a week a newer, higher-end model will get released, lol

I want to order and one of two two sellers send me into my mother

I wonder if samsung would release a similar product making a "barebone" of samsung galaxy y gt-5360 (sans cellphone casing) and adding hdmi out.

3g + wifi b/g/n + 32gb microsd card expansion + android 2.3.6 gingerbread (lol) + hdmi out = almost win

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

I want to order and one of two two sellers send me into my mother

I'm not sure if this was supposed to be dirty or if it wasn't even English...

I still haven't received the original one, and I ordered this thing back in June.

treetops treetops said:

Pretty sure I ordered one too.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Pretty sure I ordered one too.
Maybe you could check the status of your order. If you made an order maybe it will show.

Leeky Leeky said:

That's great news, wish I could just 'upgrade' mine though. lol.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

I'm hoping to see its version on x86 some day...

treetops treetops said:

hmmm I don't see it on my email so I guess not thought I ordered one though