Psy's 'Gangnam Style' video sets multiple records on YouTube

By on November 26, 2012, 8:30 AM

Korean pop sensation Psy has managed to set a number of new records on YouTube thanks to his hit video Gangnam Style. In less than five months, his music video surpassed Justin Bieber’s Baby to become the most viewed clip on the video sharing site. It’s an impressive feat when you consider that Bieber’s song has been online for nearly three years.

As of writing, Gangnam Style has amassed over 820 million YouTube views since it went online on July 15. For comparison, Baby has almost 805 million hits at this hour. Furthermore, Guinness World Records has recognized Psy’s song as the most liked video in YouTube history. It’s received more than 5.5 million likes thus far.

More telling however is the rate of viewership. According to Guinness, Psy’s video is being viewed more than 7 million times each day compared to just 403,000 for Bieber.

Larry Kim from marketing blog WordStream says Gangnam Style has been viewed more than 4,000 times every minute so far in the month of November. At the current pace, it’s on track to be the first video in YouTube history to surpass the billion views mark. Statistics show that’s likely to happen within a few weeks, specifically around December 11.

Kim also complied a lot of other stats, many of which favor the teen pop star. Bieber is doing much better in social media with over 30 million Twitter followers compared to Psy’s 1.2 million. He also grades out higher in terms of staying power and strength of fandom.

Moving forward, one has to wonder if Psy will be around for a while of if his fame will fade and earn him the title of one of the world’s biggest one-hit wonders.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Not to mention all the other video spin-offs.

Check the link

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gangnam style 10 hours

This is not to mention any other videos other people have made from this.

I bet you wont be seeing this guy on posters in little girls' rooms. hahaha

2 people like this | Cueto_99 said:

Heyyyyyy Sexy Ladyyy! OP! OP! OPAN! Gangnam Style!

BMfan BMfan said:

It will be sad if he is a so called 'one hit wonder ' in the western world.

He has a song called 'right now' from his previous album that a few people I know think is even better that Gangnam style.

1 person liked this | TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

He sure killed Dougie and Justin Bieber!

Lurker101 said:

Still saying that the London Style video spin-off is superior.

London Style

2 people like this | davislane1 davislane1 said:

How are you going to post this article and link to everything BUT the video?

Editor's note: Very good point, there you go

tehbanz tehbanz said:

It will be sad if he is a so called 'one hit wonder ' in the western world.

I was thinking the same thing, he's been a pop star in Korea for quite awhile. He may be a one hit wonder in "Murica, but his legacy will continue on in Korea.

This could only be achieved by asian ppl, now with this move, they show to the world that they have a superior stupidity and bad taste than the occidental ppl, surpassing a canadian and the whole US combined....LOL the song its really bad, and not even the anime can match this. RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!

Funny how the Solve Media captcha reads 'one hit wonder' :p

Lionvibez said:

This my friend.

Just shows how poor the taste are of this younger generation this crap is good music really?

I fear for the future of enterainment when this crap is considered good.

And they wonder by people don't buy music anymore.......

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Then maybe you can make something even worse and get more views then. Must be very jelly :P

This my friend.

I fear for the future of enterainment when this crap is considered good.

And they wonder by people don't buy music anymore.......

They don't buy it because they can download it or listen to it online >_>

1 person liked this | Camikazi said:

It will be sad if he is a so called 'one hit wonder ' in the western world.

As much as I love the USA Hate Train (and that is exactly what the Murica BS is) Psy was an unknown in most every part of the world except for a few parts of Asia. Every other part of the world jumped on the Gangnam bandwagon when it came out and all helped make it popular not just the USA so expand your hate and add everyone else. There is a very good chance he will be a one hit wonder everywhere in the world and continue to be an unknown after this so hate the world.

treetops treetops said:

I loved his waddle dance and the lovely ladies. The more I hear about s korea the more I want to visit.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

Is it only me that is utterly impressed with the technology behind this. Youtube is able to serve his video (nevermind the bajillion others) at 4000 times every minute. The bandwidth and disk I/O it must use to serve that video reliably and speedily. I mean I just buffered that London Style vid at 720p in 30seconds !

treetops treetops said:

Yeah youtube is boss! When a yahoo news video fails to load im like hey why dont you all just upload it on youtube lol.

PinothyJ said:

That is really harsh to grade PSY as a one hit wonder as he was already very popular in Korea well before Gangnam Style came onto the scene.

...