Samsung shows 8-core Exynos 5 Octa processor during CES keynote

By on January 9, 2013, 6:30 PM

Samsung unveiled an eight-core mobile processor during their keynote at CES that uses a unique design to boost performance across the board without increasing battery life demands. The Exynos 5 Octa features a high-end quad-core processor for CPU-intensive tasks like gaming alongside a midrange quad-core chip geared more towards e-mail and texting, according to president of Samsung Electronics’ component business Stephen Woo.

The package contains four Cortex-A15 cores on the high end and four Cortex A7 cores for more mundane tasks, using ARM’s big.Little architecture to make everything play together nicely. All said and done, Samsung claims the chip is 70 percent more efficient with regards to energy consumption compared to current designs.

A reference design of the Exynos 5 Octa was able to load a restaurant’s webpage, download an app to place a reservation and pull up the device’s location using GPS all at the same time. In another demonstration, Woo showcased the chip running a 3D-based video game albeit not without an awkward hiccup at the beginning that stalled the game for roughly 30 seconds.

As you might expect, the eight-core chip will be destined for high-end smartphones and tablets and is expected to compete with Nvidia’s Tegra 4 processor and Qualcomm’s 800 series chips. Both of those chips are scheduled for release sometime in the second half of this year, although the Korean electronics giant didn’t say when their new Exynos chip would be ready for production.

Zeromus said:

If hardkernel releases a new ODROID with this that's under 60 bucks, I'm ******* buying it.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

That's a little misleading in a way. It's more of a dual quad core not a "8-core" processor like what people would think. Otherwise that's cool. I hope they figure out efficient power usage on that thing.

dcnc123 dcnc123 said:

Title is alright.. but I think quad2x would sound better and easier to understand..

And again Samsung is moving faster than Apple, good news because I can't stand Apple and their fanboys

Arris Arris said:

I often don't use all 4 cores/8 threads on my desktop, really what is the benefit of this in a smartphone? will it just do away with my PC and just have a dock?

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Without software's ability to utilize all these cores, it is pointless, at best they are just going for nothing more than bragging rights for this 'dual quad core' SoC.

Twixtea said:

What's the point of 8 cores?

killeriii said:

The point of multiple cores is "multitasking".

Yes, they write the os to take advantage of it. I have a four core proc in my phone, and I can tell you it uses it.

I also have a 4 core/8 thread desktop proc. It doesn't struggle with anything I throw at it. Windows 7 does a good job of load balancing threads. I would assume the mobile os' will do the same.

I remember using single and dual core procs on my desktop, they would freeze up regularily when a thread would hog the core.

Twixtea said:

The point of multiple cores is "multitasking".

I have a 5 year old dual core laptop, it's fast as **** and it never freezes.

And I do multitask.

As much as sometimes my 4 gigs of RAM bottlenecks my system more than my dual core cpu.

1 person liked this | Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

I have a 5 year old dual core laptop, it's fast as **** and it never freezes.

And I do multitask.

Perhaps a dual-core just suites YOUR needs specifically and probably a majority of consumers. But for other people, a quad core is best. Not really because of the extra multi-tasking, but for that peace of mind knowing doing a virus scan, playing the latest games, watching HD videos, converting media, etc. without slow down is a nice luxury to have.

Twixtea said:

I agree man.

Quad core is probably best when it comes to price/performance ratio.

Still I don't get this need for 8 core CPU on a mobile device.

I mean 2-3 years ago we were getting dual core CPU's on a device like the Galaxy S II, and even today it seems to be more than enough.

2 Galaxy generations and we're suddenly at 8 cores?

I mean, ofcourse the faster the CPU is, the better. I can't complain about that.

But maybe producing quad core CPU's would be more cost efficient? And we could buy the phone cheaper.

But on the other hand Samsung claims the 8 core CPU improves battery run time, which is yet to be seen, if that really is the case,

then it's like awesome yes.

But still production cost for octa-core is probably more than quad, the pro's should be worth the increase in price.