Weekend Open Forum: The best and worst of CES 2013

By on January 11, 2013, 7:14 PM

And just like that, CES is over. Given the scale of the event, it's often used as a platform to reveal the world's most innovative gadgets, but it also manages to attract some pretty cringeworthy unveilings that wind up being a source of mockery for years -- try to sit through Qualcomm's keynote if you want a fine example of the latter:

Having received a glimpse at the technology industry's playbook for 2013, we're interested in hearing your thoughts on the best and the worst highlights of this year's show. Excited about anything in the pipeline? Hoping a certain trend doesn't catch on? Just want to say mean things for no particular reason? Have at it.

Timonius Timonius said:

I saw a Geekbeat review (can't remember what it was called) where the iPhone case was touch sensitive. Very neat and if it does catch on they'll probably be put out of business in 5 years because mobile devices will start incorporating this mainstream. PSP Vita already does this.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

The 3D showcasing thing is getting a little trite ..

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

All I basically got out of CES is alot of companies trying really hard to showcase stuff most people won't or can't buy. OLED tvs are cool but no one in their right mind is going to pay 9 grand for a 55 inch OLED tv just because its a 1/4 inch thick and brighter.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I think a lot of the stuff just doesn't translate well via pictures and write-ups unless you're there to see it and play with it first hand. With the exception of the 4000p TV's (of which we'll have to wait a decade for any media to be able to actually use it), I didn't see anything that I felt was personally appealing and noteworthy.

1 person liked this | LukeDJ LukeDJ said:

I'm excited about Swiftech's new H220 all in one cooler. According to them, it's both quieter and more effective than a H100i, and it can also be turned into an open-loop system (capable of pumping several more heatsinks/waterblocks). The new Ubuntu phone looks promising as well.

I'm sick of 4k TV's being put in the spotlight, they won't be a reasonable buy for years.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Professional athletes would, but you're right... no one in their right mind. They weren't really a big deal this year though, they were at CES last year. The 4K televisions and curved displays were the focus this year.

OMG, like wow. I couldn't sit through more that a few minutes of the Qualcomm dreck. Haven't seen anything that juvenile and nauseating in a long time. I feel sorry for the people that had to sit though the whole "presentation". When that foolishness finally ended and the lights came up, everybody was probably in the fetal position sucking their thumbs.

These actors are so busy trying to be hip that I haven't heard one mention of the word Qualcomm. What were the script writers and Qualcomm thinking when they created this unwatchable crapfest?

1 person liked this | hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

4K wins? Good luck getting native 4K content.

And for that reason, I'm interested in Samsung's curved/flexible displays, and OLED TV's (when they drop in price, and they will).

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

4K wins? Good luck getting native 4K content.

I agree considering very few channels have their own HD channels as it is, let alone making the full jump to HD and offering it free. People who buy the 4K tvs will have to fork out another load of money to get 4K content.

The SteamBox prototype was a let down.

JC713 JC713 said:

Open loop?? that is awesome! I didnt read about that. But yeah, 4K and OLED wont be viable for many years to come. It is like the transition from 720P to 1080P to LED. They were enourmously expensive, but within a year or 2 they dropped by about a $1000 due to next gen production.

LukeDJ LukeDJ said:

Open loop?? that is awesome! I didnt read about that.

This thing is a beast. Can't wait for it to become available in Aus!

1 person liked this | St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Not sure how the SteamBox is ranking #2 on the poll.. It wasn't even the actual prototype and it was a letdown anyway.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'm hopeful for the Ubuntu phones.

The Microsoft Illumiroom looked really cool, but doesn't seem very practical.

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

I agree, in terms of hardware alone it was shite, I didn't even care to see the software.