Al Gore exercises stock options, buys 59,000 Apple shares for $440k

By on January 21, 2013, 5:30 PM

It has been revealed in an U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing that prominent Apple board member Al Gore recently purchased 59,000 shares of Apple stock. Normally such activity wouldn’t be particularly newsworthy but in Gore’s case, he was able to do so at a price of just $7.48 per share – netting a substantial profit in the process.

Gore was able to secure the stock at such a low price by exercising his director stock option. Despite the fact that Apple stock value has recently been on a downward path, it’s still a major haul for the board member. As of writing, Gore’s 59,000 shares are worth a cool $29.5 million – not bad considering he paid just over $440,000 for the opportunity.

TNW points out that Gore was awarded 30,000 options when he joined Apple’s board in 2003. At the time, stock in Cupertino was valued at just $14.95 per share. The former vice president purchased 60,000 shares in the company at the same price back in 2008 when shares were valued at around $124 each.

It’s worth noting that he still has 61,574 share options available under heavy discount following the latest transaction, ensuring he will remain extremely wealthy for the foreseeable future.

Apple is expected to report first-quarter earnings later this week. The company forecast $52 billion in revenue and earnings of $11.75 per share but analysts predict those figures to be a bit higher at $54.69 billion and earnings of $13.41 per share.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

The ritch get ritcher.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Wow... at that price he'd be mad not to!

1 person liked this | Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I guess he had to do something with all of that money he got from Al Jazeera.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Curious timing, Apple stock is down, and If he thought their price was going to back up he'd have waited to buy risk-free. This means the news tomorrow will probably tell us that Al Gore sold all his Apple stock, and is sure doesn't look good when a board member cashes in his options and sells. That'll make the price go down some more.

p51d007 said:

I can't stand the guy, but it's his money, he can do with it as he pleases.

@MilwaukeeMike

not sure if your comments doom and gloom comments about anything apple is jealously or hatred. Either or, doesn't matter, apple will continue to be successful no matter what you feel. The stock, I feel, will rebound back to above $700 by year end then on to $900+ in 2014 after a few new market leading/changing releases.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The ritch get ritcher.

Was thinking that before I even read the comments.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

And this will be after they pry these, "market changing/leading releases", out of Steve Jobs cold, dead hands?:p

RzmmDX said:

@MilwaukeeMike

I would believe in an uptrend for Apple once they develop holograms or paper thin laptops. Oh wait, they have no R&D... time to buy IBM or MIT.

@captaincranky,

jobs was just a boss, nothing more. before his passing he had multiple visions of what to create. One idea in particular would be the upcoming TV. TV's traditionally have been a small mark up/huge turn over industry. Imagine a TV coming to market that was as thin as an Ipad, had the same clarity as a retina display ipad, had voice control, apple tv built in, built in Facetime (kicks the crap out of all other video chats) and could seemly connect to all your media devices? how many wives would rather a tv that hung like a picture on wall rather than a box in the middle of the floor? The good news is 2 fold. Even though apple will come out with it first, other brands will follow suit like they always have and eventually prices will go down. But the price of the apple version will drive their shares right back up past what they are now.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

...[ ]....jobs was just a boss, nothing more. before his passing he had multiple visions of what to create.
Thank God you weren't called upon to write his eulogy. I, on the other hand, wish you were.

BTW, TV, internet TV, Hulu, Youtube, and Net Flix have all been invented already. So, whatever Apple does or doesn't achieve with "Apple TV", I pray to God they get their brains sued out over it.....

This proves beyond a doubt that you, as an Apple fanhole kow virtually nothing about video. First, the VGA in an iPhone doesn't have the power to light up 300DPI, and I'm taking a wild guess and saying they're dithering the actual resolution across several pixels. At the 3 paces distance from the living room TV set, you can barely distinguish the less than 72 DPI it has, and the smaller you make the pixels the worse the viewing angle becomes. And again, you'd be dithering the signal over several pixels in the display. Because, I'm certain the broadcast standards aren't getting changed just to humor you.
Listen, you can walk into Best But and carry one of them thar skinny TVs out tomorrow. At least if you're not in your room smacking off to an Apple product catalog, that is..

I will give credit for revamping an old internet product, "the iTroll".

@captaincranky

You are confusing Apple TV with their upcoming Apple Branded TV sets.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

You are confusing Apple TV with their upcoming Apple Branded TV sets.

Look, I'm an old man, and I do things that others don't see as being sensible. I have 1meg DSL, because I get it for 17.95 a month. I go to RedBox, and rent DVDs for $1.20 a night.

I don't need Apple's help with my TV viewing, , I don't need the Pirate Bay to help me with ISo files.

So, all the s*** you think you need, or Apple is going to "innovate", I can thankfully, quite well live without.

I've never bought so much as an iTune, and I almost certainly never will. Save your energy and enthusiasm for people sitting on a fence about Apple. With me, you're just banging your head against a wall.

And I'll run this by you one more time, whatever Apple does in the TV arena, I hope they get sued for it. As near as I can tell, "Apple TV" is just another hazing, and an attempt to bully their way into someone else's wheelhouse.

"Apple TV", "Google TV", turn it upside down it all looks alike.

@captaincranky,

"I don't need Apple's help with my TV viewing"

You said you have a TV set, who ever the manufacturer is, they are indeed "helping" you watch the content.

"I don't need the Pirate Bay to help me with ISo files."

Cool, neither do most, what does that have to do with the TV's?

"So, all the s*** you think you need, or Apple is going to "innovate", I can thankfully, quite well live without"

If you are indeed old like you say, how come you swithed to color tv and stick with B&W

"I've never bought so much as an iTune, and I almost certainly never will."

Same here.

"Save your energy and enthusiasm for people sitting on a fence about Apple. With me, you're just banging your head against a wall."

What energy? Why would I bang my head against a wall over whatever you are talking about?

"And I run this by you one more time, whatever Apple does in the TV arena, I hope they get sued for it. As near as I can tell, "Apple TV" is just another hazing, and an attempt to bully their way into someone else's wheelhouse."

Did you hope Sony, Hitachi, LG, Sharp, and all the others got sued by general Electric when they first came into the TV market? If so, why do you care so much? its all good.

"Apple TV", "Google TV", turn it upside down it all looks alike."

I still think you could be confused about the difference of a TV and the software that the TV plays with.

@captaincranky

"This proves beyond a doubt that you, as an Apple fanhole kow virtually nothing about video."

You are right and wrong. not an apple fanboy and yes I know nothing about video

"First, the VGA in an iPhone doesn't have the power to light up 300DPI,"

I think it could be past your bed time, iphone? what?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Are you trying to spell "swished", "swathed", or "switched"? Better get with your "iDictionary".

No, I'm not. You walk over to your B&W TV, turn it on, and then tune it to any of the broadcast channels in your particular viewing ares. These channels are numbered from 2 to 13.

I think it could be past your bed time, iphone? what?
The iPhone carries a "Retina Display". It's resolution is 300DPI. That's its distinguishing feature. All Apple panel technology is IPS. (In plane switching). The reason they call it a "Retina Display", is simply by virtue of the fact that the resolution of the human eye is 300DPI, (or thereabouts). So, the iPhone's display resolution matches that of the human eye. Drawing the conclusion that that matters, is as absurd as are most all of Apple's ad claims.

So, when you say you want a TV with a "Retina Display", it means in essence ,you expect the TV to have a resolution of 300 DPI.

My 40" (diagonal) B&W flat panel LCD tube set, measures 35" horizontally, and about 20" vertically. At the "Retina Display 300DPI resolution, the panel would have an overall resolution of 10,500 X 6000 pixels. If you can't wrap your head around how ridiculous that is, I can't help you

When a TV needs software, I'm patient enough to wait for M$ to write it, and I'm sure they'll call it Windows TV, which will be very reassuring for me, as us old timers hate change.

Now be a good boy, and sit around and wait for the next round of Apple's largesse. Here's somebody else fascinated with shiny objects to keep you company.

@captaincranky,

You indeed are a strange fella. In all your infinite knowledge you you failed to see that I do not own an apple product. I am however a lover of tech, and a lover of fresh ideas. When I get older I hope I do not get to be a cranky old guy who fools himself into thinking I am smarter then I actually am.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

@captaincranky,

@captaincranky,

"So, when you say you want a TV with a "Retina Display", it means in essence ,you expect the TV to have a resolution of 300 DPI"

"The term is "deludes" oneself into thinking they're smarter than they are, and indeed you have it mastered."

No, the term I mean to imply is indeed fools. I am also one to admit I am not very smart.

"But no, I haven't gotten mind reading down yet, and certainly not this late past my bedtime.

And you could still sit and contemplate along with the young man above, over the possible acquisition of your first Apple, "masterpiece"."

"Today's "tech lovers" amuse me. The way they sit around and stare into their crappy little phone screens, when there's a whole wide world to investigate. Texting matters, dude! Don't think for a moment it doesn't..:p"

Again, what? lol

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

,jobs was just a boss, nothing more. before his passing he had multiple visions of what to create.
Right, OK. and that's why they started the business in his garage, not one of the corporate parasites / executives who are running the place now. And that's why Apple was going under until he returned. Because he was, "just a boss".
Actually you did mention "Retina Display", I suppose it was just an oversight on your part you forgot to take the resolution into account.

,You should go read it again. I did not say that. Did you miss that intentionally?
It seems I didn't

,It wouldn't be my first apple product. I said "I don't own an apple product" which could also mean "I do not own one at the present time".
So I'm playing "remedial semantics",with an "iTroll"?

,Make your last reply a good one after this, since I know you will want the final word so you can feel victorious in an opinion based forum. Want to know a secret though: there is no winners, its all opinion. But go ahead, have the last word.
All this philosophical s*** hurts my head. I'm going to power down my computer and see if I can hear my next door neighbor's crack baby screaming. It seems that would be more productive than continuing this conversation with you.

Did that do it for you?

It's actually a pity that this thread is so far "off the rails". The real story is Al Gore's stock purchase, and its bargain price. It gives one pause to wonder if this isn't insider trading done right under everyone's nose. Whether or not there is indeed a "ruling class" in the US, and how responsible backroom corporate dealings are for choosing our "elected officials" in our "democracy".

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Al Gore, really can do what he wants with his money. Stock with Apple is high now so what if he owns part of them. Also those where talking about Apple TV stuff shouldn't be wrong but this is topic is about Apple.

MilwaukeeMike said:

@MilwaukeeMike

None of the above... think about it for yourself. if you had the chance to buy Apple stock for $7 a share, would you take it? Well... if you think the stock is going to go up, then don't buy, just wait until it does and then buy it. If you think the stock is going to go down further, then yes, you should buy the stock now and sell it so you can get the cash before your options are worth less.

There are other possibilities, like maybe he's trying to show confidence to investors by buying stock now, or maybe he's ok with taking on the risk now that he made so much money selling his TV station. Who knows. But my comments aren't based on any hatred of Apple. Buy just out of curiosity, what are these market leading changes Apple is going to make that's going to boost their price up to $700?

Duckula22 Duckula22 said:

Man, the rich are never short of opportunities. How does one ever get to participate of something like that? These things aren't advertised, when you find out about them it's too late, or you can't participate because it's by invitation only, it's a reserved practice and what not.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Right on dude! The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and the rest of us come to Techspot to cheer for them.

OTOH, Apple TV should be a enormous step forward. A feature that absolutely, positively has to be included is "iStynk". How this works is, you sync your iPad, (or iPhone). to your TV, and take it with you into the shower. We can't be away from the computer for more than a couple of minutes at a crack, now can we? Here's a hint though. As gratifying as it might be, to be able to watch "Avatar" on a 3.5" screen while taking a shower, don't do it! You'll run the house out of hot water, and no one else will be able to use the "iStynk" feature for at least a half an hour.

The accessories for" iStrapping" the "iDevice(s)" to your forehead in order to enable washing both armpits without setting the device down, will of course, be sold separately.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

In a similar (weather) vein, I hope the suicide nets around the Foxconn plants are made of environmentally friendly materials, as we wouldn't want Gore to start running his mouth, or making another one of his dreadfully depressing movies about global warming

OK, you're arguing with a "guest". But more importantly, a guest who doesn't know what he's talking about, and is hung up on a bunch of semantic bull s***. Does he own an Apple product? Don't know, don't care. A "physical" metamorphosis has taken place. This is common in the life of an Apple iFan.. They start out as an "iSheep", graze on Apple advertising an become an "iHole", then get behind a keyboard and reach their most advanced stage, the dreaded "iTroll"! During the "iSheep" stage, which continues through puberty, you'll find that the pages of their Apple catalogs are stuck together, as would be the pages of a normal teenager's copy of "Hustler" or similar adult fare.

In other news, it's about time for a "market adjustment", and I can't possibly think of another stock I'd enjoy watching tank, more than Apple's.

Well, maybe Facebook stock tank would be a close second, but only if they filed chapter 11 first.

spencer spencer said:

Just like politicians buying stock on war firms and then authorizing more purchases for military use.

Easy when you run the market huh?

davislane1 davislane1 said:

A brokerage account and proper education goes a long way. Of course, not nearly as far as being a crony...But we can't all have "connections."

sarcahole sarcahole said:

And why can't I buy apple at that price?Because I

am not a big, fat ,greedy ,rich scumbag.

@captaincranky,

Why do you care so much brand names? Personally I think you should like/dislike a product based on how well it works for you. Teens have similar attitudes like yours where they like and dislike something based on only on the label on the box. These "isheep" that I always hear so much about are very elusive. I did this a couple weeks ago when taking to someone else who told me about isheep. I went out, and over the course of the week I had interactions with about 200 friends, colleges and acquiescence's. When the situation was appropriate, I learned of any apple products they had and how they felt about them. Out of the 200, about 60 of them had a version of an iPhone, 5 had an ipod touch, 8 of them had ipads. Not shockingly NONE of the them cared about who made it, some where not even aware that they all were in the same manufacturer. This elusive "isheep" was still a stranger to me even when trying to find one for a week. I have 3 teenage children. 1 has a iphone4, the other a 3gs, and the other just a touch. The middle one likes her 3gs when she compares to the android equivalent, while the others 2 don't care to much about theirs, they just use it to use it. Since my particular circle involving ages generally 30-50 (give/take a couple years) don't have any isheep in it, I do see the possibility of having greater chances finding one in the teen years. Is it safe to assume you may hang out with a lot of teenagers to know lots of these "isheep"?

Anyway, my point (and advice) is to stop liking/disliking things depending only on brand name alone, its immature and you may just miss out on a great product that you may actually like. As a side note: just because your name is captaincranky doesn't mean you have to play the role, its just a label and not a curse. Smile, and know life is good.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

@captaincranky,

OK first, thank you ma'am for this post and vote of confidence.

With that out of the way, your text, (and subtext), gave me nightmares. In actuality, "night terrors", since I'm wide awake now, and I remember it vividly. I was being dragged around by a young, and very exotic Indian woman (*), buying cars I didn't get to drive, summarily handing her money because she asked for it, yet never quite able to "consummate" the relationship. I finally woke up at the point where I was walking into a police station, filing a complaint about being "scammed".

In any event, buying your children exactly what they want to shut them up, doesn't really qualify you as a shrewd shopper. You walk into a store, most likely hand them you husband's credit card, and pick out what they tell you to, or what you've seen on TV.

Plus, I really don't care about your impromptu survey of the local college "hipsters". I went to community college with them late in life, and "studied" photography. The majority of them couldn't buy a decent piece of equipment if their lives depended on it. If your iPhone is more than about 9 months old, Apple has already "gestated" another one, with the features the one you own should have.

That's sort of emblematic of Apple. They're "pregnant" with last years idea, and will bring forth the fruit of their labor in Q4 of this year, minus a few primary genes, which they're saving for their next child.

Since you went out of the way to tell me you're a mom, I thought I'd explain that to you in "suburban housewife-ese".

I'm re-posting an earlier response, for your convenience, since I'm sure you've got a ton of shopping to do:

"Apple TV", "Google TV", turn it upside down it all looks alike.

Now, "the light bulb on top of your head" should be glowing, albeit rather dimly, when you realize I'm exactly what my screen name stands for.

I don't live in the fantasy world that advertising and marketing has created for you, period.

A man named John Watson is credited with being the "father of behavioural psychology". He later went into ADVERTISING...!!!:eek:

His Wiki Bio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Watson

And a page on his contributions to advertising: [link]

Read them, you'll understand how they programmed you for "brand recognition", and possibly why our female children keep going into puberty earlier in life. First, it's the hormones sometimes used in cattle production. But, (IMH guess), it may also be the abundance of sexual stimulation they received via TV advertising. In any event, nobody's going to give me a an exorbitant grant to study that, and Al Gore won't kick a few shares of his Aple stock over to me so I can sell them and fund the research myself.

In the meantime, I'm considering changing my screen name to "Kingcranky". This so I can argue from a better position, when passing guests accuse me of having a god complex.

A do have yourself a nice day.. (That was the reflexive mood of the verb, more often used in Spanish).

(*) Indian, as from India. I think she was the anthropomorphization of an "exotic art model", whose photographs I may have accidentally seen recently.

What ever meds you are on, damn they are good!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

What ever meds you are on, damn they are good!
Well, since you didn't hit the "like" button, I'm not telling. Nor will I even consider saving any to get you high. Take my post to your local doctor or drug dealer, maybe one of them will hook you up.

KbloodyK KbloodyK said:

I love Al Gore, but I hate Apple.

MIXED EMOTIONS!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I love Al Gore, but I hate Apple.

MIXED EMOTIONS!

Neither one of them rate any internal conflict, and certainly not one over the other. I suggest taking up a hobby, and avoiding further political musings.. "That which we choose not to anguish over, cannot break or harm our heads".

My bill will be in the mail.

RubinOnRye RubinOnRye said:

@captaincranky,

Yeah it will cost you $10k-$20k

Al Gore reminds me of James Taggart.

Al Gore Bites the Apple

How do you get a $400 plus deduction in the value of a stock, buy 59,000 shares it for $7 and then sell it the next day at market value for $400; become a member of the Corrupt Entitlement Club (CEC)! This shit went on during the Enron scandal, which bankrupted many of its employee's retirement accounts; remember Kenneth Lay (now a member of Perdition) and Bernard Madoff (soon to be a member). It is like an insider trading club beyond the standard market. Not until recently, Congress made a law to finally apply insider-trading laws to them, WOW.

Same thing with the housing market bubble, through three Presidents and Congresses they pushed banks to make housing loans (many risky) to the buyers backed by fiat money to inflate the housing market so they could sell MBSs' to make serious commissions off the sale of the loans in the market. Hey, it's a free market and it sounds legal until they started to sell bad loans and rate them as AAA. Lloyd Bentsen, Secretary of the Treasury during Bill Clinton's reformation of the CRA to loosen credit standards, affirmed his belief that availability of credit should not depend on where a person lives, "The only thing that ought to matter on a loan application is whether or not you can pay it back, not where you live." Eventually many bad loans defaulted when the economy tanked. Companies like Citicorp and Goldman Sachs even bet against the loans making some nice profits, greedy fuckers.

The notion of 10% to 20% down on a house was replaced by the 3% to no money down, easy money. The process created a false housing boom with appreciations that broke from away from traditional economic supply and demand factors such as the consumer price indexes, rate of inflation, actual value of a house based on age and decay condition, and so on. However, through government legislation, the Federal Reserve (Crediteer ring leader), the banks and the lending institutions the process propagated. The more loans, the greater the number of people seeking homes thus the demand exceeded supply and prices go up. But it was rigged to fail and essentially, the Crediteers decided they wanted to legitimately rape the people of their hard earned dollars using the government and the markets. Furthermore, the government prevented the market to naturally adjust by using bailouts to prop up the market, which kept some housing markets that rose over 300 percent during the bubble and only adjusted down 20 percent during its deflation. The bailouts further caused the national debt to soar.

The credit industry and the government have manipulated the markets to such an extent that it is destroying the future value of the Peoples money, the American dollar. Over time, the exportation of manufacturing, logistic jobs as well as other jobs to other countries, started the decline of wages and increase in unemployment. Further excessive personal credit debt including debt wagered against the rising equity of a house, all contributed in part to the economic decline. The future retirement dollars of Americans will be devalued by inflation as well as a decline in real wages. It is not about the product and the people, rather make the product cheaper, hoard the profit and **** the people.

The result is the decline of the middle class in America into poverty or another form of slavery known as indentured servitude. A whole generation of Americans will be weighted with the debt of the baby boomers and reliant on the government. I guess progressive liberalism is really code for an Oligarchian Communism. It is corruption in its fullest sense, the People work hard to make a living and save money all of their lives for a secure retirement only to be bamboozled by greedy "MARKETEERS" and corrupt government!

As for Al Gore, he is richer than Mitt Romney. I use to think highly of the Gore man long ago but a reality check reversed that opinion. I did not vote for this fool in government nor to the Apple board when I held the stock. Like he did with the AGW scam, he has cleaned house again, it is pure greed and thoroughly disgusting. Eventually he will meet Mr. Simms from Tales From The Hood who will give him a whole new meaning of Global Warming!